PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a dragon patron for warlocks

wombat31
2019-01-02, 04:43 PM
I was wondering if anybody had any good ideas for a dragon patron for warlocks. https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/subclasses/1634-ancient-dragon-patron i found this one and ot looks good to me but i havent really played 5e enough tonkjow if its broken. Anu help would be greatly appreciated.

Garfunion
2019-01-02, 05:16 PM
What are you really looking to get out of a Dragon Patron? Re-flavoring a current patron would be a better option.

Man_Over_Game
2019-01-02, 05:49 PM
What are you really looking to get out of a Dragon Patron? Re-flavoring a current patron would be a better option.

Spell list of Fiend.

Level 1 feature of Archfey (Dragons dominate, now you have an aura of fear/charm)

Level 6 feature of Celestial, removing Radiant and making it all about Fire.

Level 10 feature of Fiend. (Dragons resist different elements, now you do too.)

Level 14 feature is your choice of the Archfey (More fear/charm), Great Old One (Make a slave), or the Celestial (Nothing kills a dragon).

Balance-wise, I'd consider it no better than any existing choices, and fits the bill almost perfectly.

Santra
2019-01-02, 07:15 PM
Technically dragon patrons are covered under the draconic bloodline for sorcerers. I have to agree that if you want to have it in the warlock shell just reflavor a current pact

Quoz
2019-01-03, 12:10 AM
I've used a dragon hoard as a hexblade patron. All that accumulated gold and magic achieved a power of its own. It lends out some of its power but expects you to pay it back - with interest.

WeaselGuy
2019-01-03, 08:10 AM
In the 3.5e Draconomicon, there was a Fiendish Dragon (I think). Not Tiamat, but another one. I really can't think of it's name right now, but I know it existed. I'll try and see if I can pull it up, and let you know.

Edit: Ashardalon, was his name. A Great Wyrm Red dragon, who bound a demon to his wounded heart after a (near)-mortal blow from a druid. In years past, other dragons have followed his example, and are now known as Disciples of Ashardalon.

There was also a boardgame called Wrath of Ashardalon. It was apparently pretty good, but I never played it personally.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-01-03, 08:31 AM
I wrote one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?563755-The-Dragon-Patron-%28Dragonfire-Adept-adaptation%29) that works out pretty well.

Joe the Rat
2019-01-03, 09:00 AM
I was wondering if anybody had any good ideas for a dragon patron for warlocks. https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/subclasses/1634-ancient-dragon-patron i found this one and ot looks good to me but i havent really played 5e enough tonkjow if its broken. Anu help would be greatly appreciated.
It needs a little cleanup, but overall is viable if a touch vanilla. If you want something warlock with a touch of dragon, I'd use it.
Elemental Blast invocation has flavor, but is effectively a downgrade to Eldritch Blast. Needs a booster or rider.
Blessing of Tiamat invocation needs a recovery stated (presumably this is modeled on the 1/LR invocations)... but isn't very Tiamat-y beyond the range of energies.
Draconic Shape is fiddly, and could probably be simplified. It looks like either HP damage OR a failed Concentration save knocks you out of it - or they shouldn't fuss about concentration since you can't cast spells in form, and let you keep concentration on spells (since any damage is a DC 10 check, and you aren't going to win that automatically as a young dragon).

I wrote one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?563755-The-Dragon-Patron-%28Dragonfire-Adept-adaptation%29) that works out pretty well.
If you're a fan of the old DFA, or want something that absolutely oozes dragon, this is the way to go. Some of the breath effects may look odd, but these were 3.5 era effects that dragons (and related races) could pick up as feats. Oh Entangling Breath, how I've missed you...

wombat31
2019-01-03, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I mostly went with man_ over_game's suggestions but i did create a custom spell list for a more silver dragon theme.