PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Chitine (Race) [PEACH]

Sir_Popard
2019-01-02, 05:42 PM
I often have felt the impulse to play a spider-based race, but in most settings/systems they're either presented as monsters or inaccessible PC races.
Edit: I caved and opted to give them the elven ancestry racial trait.

Questions? Comments?

CHITINE TRAITS
Your chitine character has the following traits.
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2 and your Intelligence score increases by 1.
Age. Chitine mature a little faster than humans, reaching adulthood around age 15. They rarely live longer than 80 years.
Alignment. Most chitine are often chaotic, with no particular inclination toward good or evil but a strong tendency toward mischief.
Size. Chitine average about 3 feet tall and weigh about 80 pounds. Your size is Small.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 25 feet.
Web Walker. You have a climbing speed of 25 feet and you ignore movement restrictions caused by webbing. You can’t use your climbing speed while you wear medium or heavy armor.
Darkvision. Accustomed to life underground, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 120 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Sunlight Sensitivity. You have disadvantage on attack rolls and Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of the attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive is in direct sunlight.
Multiple Arms. You have four arms. These arms do not allow you to take extra actions, attacks, or gain extra benefits from equipment, but do allow you to hold and interact with additional items. You may take the Use an Object action as a bonus action.
Skitterer. You have proficiency in the Athletics and Stealth skills.
Spell Weaver. You know the mending cantrip and can cast it without material components. Starting at 3rd level, you can also cast web with this trait. Once you cast it, you can't do so again until you finish a long rest. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
In addition, you have proficiency with artisan’s tools (weaver’s tools) and are always treated as having both the tools and materials needed to create or repair silk items.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Undercommon.

nickl_2000
2019-01-03, 09:49 AM
Hello there.

Looking at the points for this race using this https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vq1kz6PRAbw5LHy6amH-bNb4OuB8DBXL1RsZROt03Sc/edit#gid=0
8: ASI+2
5: ASI+1
0: Size Small
-2: 25 ft speed
2: Climb speed
1: Ignore speed on webs
-3: Sunlight Sensitivity
3: Darkvision 60 feet
?: Arms
4: 2 skills
2: Mending Cantrip
2: Level 1 spell (web)
0: Common and Undercommon

Before the multiple arms we are looking at a 22 rating. So the challenge becomes what the multiple arms gives you. Your ability is a slightly weakened version of the Thieves level 3 Fast Hands ability, although it is sooner. I don't see this being worth more than 8 points of so, putting this class on par powerwise with other classes.

The only odd thing I see though is the fact that you only get 60 feet darkvision. All officially races that have sunlight sensitivity have 120 ft darkvision

Sir_Popard
2019-02-05, 02:28 PM
Hello there.

Before the multiple arms we are looking at a 22 rating. So the challenge becomes what the multiple arms gives you. Your ability is a slightly weakened version of the Thieves level 3 Fast Hands ability, although it is sooner. I don't see this being worth more than 8 points of so, putting this class on par powerwise with other classes.

The only odd thing I see though is the fact that you only get 60 feet darkvision. All officially races that have sunlight sensitivity have 120 ft darkvision

Thank you for the input and sorry about the delay (it's been a weird month). The homebrew race guide is an intriguing resource; I'll have to make use of it in the future.

I'd not noticed the discrepancy in the darkvision, thank you for reminding me.

I've decided to add the fey ancestry trait and tweaked the Spell Weaver trait a bit.