PDA

View Full Version : Fortify Spell?

Trixie
2007-09-23, 02:11 PM
As you all know, Sorcerers can use metamagic, but it converts their spells to full round actions. So far, all is well. :smallconfused:
But then, I've run into a feat that might be central for my build: fortify spell, from CA. Basically, for each spell level 'up' it adds +2 to dc of said spell. By making, say, fireball 5th level [instead of 3rd] wa add +4 to its dc.

But the grand question is - how does it work on sorcerer? Does he add one full round action to casting time for each +2 he adds to spell? Or just one full round action as with other metamagic? Or, can he apply it just once [one full round action and level 'up'] for a higher bonus [like +20]?

It was obviously meant for wizard, but i'd love to try one particular combo with my sorcerer. :smallsigh:

Tor the Fallen
2007-09-23, 02:13 PM
As you all know, Sorcerers can use metamagic, but it converts their spells to full round actions. So far, all is well. :smallconfused:
But then, I've run into a feat that might be central for my build: fortify spell, from CA. Basically, for each spell level 'up' it adds +2 to dc of said spell. By making, say, fireball 5th level [instead of 3rd] wa add +4 to its dc.

But the grand question is - how does it work on sorcerer? Does he add one full round action to casting time for each +2 he adds to spell? Or just one full round action as with other metamagic? Or, can he apply it just once [one full round action and level 'up'] for a higher bonus [like +20]?

It was obviously meant for wizard, but i'd love to try one particular combo with my sorcerer. :smallsigh:

He casts the spell as if it were a higher level spell than it was- no 'leveling up' involved. You cast a spell known, but instead use up a spell slot of higher level.

Jasdoif
2007-09-23, 02:23 PM
Fortify Spell doesn't increase the save DC, it gives you a bonus on your caster level check to overcome spell resistance. If you're looking to bump up the DC, you want heighten spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#heightenSpell).

That said, the casting time is increased once if you apply metamagic to a spontaneously cast spell. The exact number (and in this case, intensity) of metamagic feats applied makes no difference.

Trixie
2007-09-23, 02:35 PM
He casts the spell as if it were a higher level spell than it was- no 'leveling up' involved. You cast a spell known, but instead use up a spell slot of higher level.

That's what I ment. Sorry, I'm not an english speaker so I didn't know how to word it.

Swooper
2007-09-23, 04:31 PM
If you need to get past something's spell resistance that bad, that you'd take Fortify Spell, why not just use Assay Spell Resistance? :smallconfused:

Talya
2007-09-23, 04:38 PM
If you need to get past something's spell resistance that bad, that you'd take Fortify Spell, why not just use Assay Spell Resistance? :smallconfused:

The answer to that question is in the original post, as one word: Sorceror.

Spell selections are more valuable than feats.

Swooper
2007-09-23, 04:45 PM
Valid, but you get way more spells than feats, some of the feats will be for PrC requirements, and the rest should be spent on something a bit more useful than Fortify spell... Surely, a single 4th level spell (and Assay Spell Resistance isn't bad, actually - lots of the bigger, badder high CR critters have spell resistance that might be worth spending a swift action on getting past) is less of a sacrifice.