PDA

View Full Version : Optimization A Legendary Djinn and Her Champion

LoyalPaladin
2019-01-03, 01:54 AM
I've been cleared to utilize/play a cohort from Leadership. I'd like to use this to play an exceptionally mundane character who wields a scepter/lamp that my character (a "mighty and powerful djinn") inhabits. In actuality, my Djinn is actually just a really old outsider who has amassed quite a bit of arcane power and formed a small cult around herself being a powerful djinn. The other characters in the party are really powerful, one being a Runecaster/Cleric and the other being a variation of a Barb/Ubercharger. I know I won't out-spell or out damage them, but I'd like to at least nest myself somewhere near them.

Am I able to create an all-powerful buffing character that can reside in a lamp while aiding her cohort in combat? I envisioned her originally as a bard that has achieved 9th's, but I am also considering Sorcerer. I'd like to stay CHA based... As for the cohort, I imagine a sword fighter who wields a scepter that the "djinn" shoots spells out of on her turn. Does all this make sense?

System: D&D 3.5
ECL: 15 (will go to 21st level)

Uncle Pine
2019-01-03, 03:49 AM
An 11th level Sorcerer (or any other character able to cast 6th level Sor/Wiz spells) could technically cast Smoky Confinement on himself to reenter his "lamp". If you want to avoid having to blow 100 gp every time your receptacle is broken, you can invest into an item with daily uses, taking Archmage levels to turn it into a SLA, or a staff familiar with the Enchant Staff or Invest Spell feat (Dragon #338).

EDIT: A smoky confined djinn wouldn't be able to act while inside his receptacle, but if you go down the imbued staff route he could provide a champion with UMD ranks with a powerful staff that could be regularly recharged through the Recharge Staff feat (also from Dragon #338).

Darrin
2019-01-03, 06:36 AM
Am I able to create an all-powerful buffing character that can reside in a lamp while aiding her cohort in combat? I envisioned her originally as a bard that has achieved 9th's, but I am also considering Sorcerer. I'd like to stay CHA based...

Sounds like Bard/Sublime Chord. You could also probably throw some War Weaver in there.

As for the cohort, I imagine a sword fighter who wields a scepter that the "djinn" shoots spells out of on her turn. Does all this make sense?

You realize you have to name him Major Nelson (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058815/)?

Jack_Simth
2019-01-03, 08:04 AM
I've been cleared to utilize/play a cohort from Leadership. I'd like to use this to play an exceptionally mundane character who wields a scepter/lamp that my character (a "mighty and powerful djinn") inhabits. In actuality, my Djinn is actually just a really old outsider who has amassed quite a bit of arcane power and formed a small cult around herself being a powerful djinn. The other characters in the party are really powerful, one being a Runecaster/Cleric and the other being a variation of a Barb/Ubercharger. I know I won't out-spell or out damage them, but I'd like to at least nest myself somewhere near them.

Am I able to create an all-powerful buffing character that can reside in a lamp while aiding her cohort in combat? I envisioned her originally as a bard that has achieved 9th's, but I am also considering Sorcerer. I'd like to stay CHA based... As for the cohort, I imagine a sword fighter who wields a scepter that the "djinn" shoots spells out of on her turn. Does all this make sense?

Since you're talking 9ths, I'm going to start by assuming that you're running at around 18th level or so.

Since you're talking Runecasters, I'm also going to assume that you're talking 3.5, rather than Pathfinder.

An easy way:
Psion(Telepath) with a Psicrystal (could also go with wilder for a Charisma-focus, but you'll need UPD and a powerstone for the next item).
True Mind Switch on a Mind Leech (Fiend Folio, page 217).
Mount your psicrystal on the scepter.
Use your cohort as your host.

Depending on interpretation, the psicrystal is disposable (after it's destroyed, you still qualify, so you still get the benefits of the feat... which means you wake up with another one the next day).

When you need to interact relatively directly, use Metamorphosis on the Psicrystal to give it a humanoid form.

Share Powers on a symbiote means you can use personal-range powers on your host. Channel Power means you can manifest through your psicrystal on everyone else, without ever giving them line-of-effect to you.

Depending on interpretation, the psicrystal is disposable (after it's destroyed, you still qualify, so you still get the benefits of the feat... which means you wake up with another one the next day).

Note that as you're after a cult, a dip into Thrallherd goes well - as your "cohort" is disposable then, too.

LoyalPaladin
2019-01-03, 11:32 AM
An 11th level Sorcerer (or any other character able to cast 6th level Sor/Wiz spells) could technically cast Smoky Confinement on himself to reenter his "lamp". If you want to avoid having to blow 100 gp every time your receptacle is broken, you can invest into an item with daily uses, taking Archmage levels to turn it into a SLA, or a staff familiar with the Enchant Staff or Invest Spell feat (Dragon #338).

EDIT: A smoky confined djinn wouldn't be able to act while inside his receptacle, but if you go down the imbued staff route he could provide a champion with UMD ranks with a powerful staff that could be regularly recharged through the Recharge Staff feat (also from Dragon #338).
That seems like a good way to get myself stuck inside a lamp permanently haha. I might use a variation of this, but I'm worried about my companion getting killed and then being totally stuck. :smallbiggrin:

Sounds like Bard/Sublime Chord. You could also probably throw some War Weaver in there.

You realize you have to name him Major Nelson (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058815/)?
I thought Bard/Sublime Chord could be good. I considered a Fiend of Possession, but that's too much for me. I'm struggling with a way to cast spells from a different location than myself. (I'd like to cast spells but have them originate from the staff he's carrying.)

If it weren't Arabian themed, Major Nelson would fit perfectly. :smallbiggrin:

Since you're talking 9ths, I'm going to start by assuming that you're running at around 18th level or so.

Since you're talking Runecasters, I'm also going to assume that you're talking 3.5, rather than Pathfinder.
I apologize. I thought I'd marked this for 3rd edition. Yes, we're playing D&D 3.5 at 15th level. We'll be progressing to 21st level fairly quickly.

An easy way:
Psion(Telepath) with a Psicrystal (could also go with wilder for a Charisma-focus, but you'll need UPD and a powerstone for the next item).
True Mind Switch on a Mind Leech (Fiend Folio, page 217).
Mount your psicrystal on the scepter.
Use your cohort as your host.

When you need to interact relatively directly, use Metamorphosis on the Psicrystal to give it a humanoid form.

Share Powers on a symbiote means you can use personal-range powers on your host. Channel Power means you can manifest through your psicrystal on everyone else, without ever giving them line-of-effect to you.

Note that as you're after a cult, a dip into Thrallherd goes well - as your "cohort" is disposable then, too.
I also should've specified that Psionics and the adaptability enhancement are banned. That's pretty much it, I believe.