PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Revised Naga (monster)

rferries
2019-01-03, 04:14 AM
A consolidation of the current dark/guardian/spirit/water/etc naga and a bunch of "serpentine" abilities into one race. I chose outsider as the new type (in keeping with original naga mythology), though they could just as easily have been dragons, fey, magical beasts, or even monstrous humanoids.

NAGALARGE OUTSIDER ([Extraplanar], [Good], [Law], [Water])
Hit Dice: 12d8+72 (126 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), swim 80 ft.
Armor Class: 27 (+6 deflection, +6 Dex, +6 natural, -1 size), touch 21, flat-footed 21
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+22
Attack: Bite +17 melee (1d8+6 plus poison) or tail slap +17 melee (1d8+6)
Full Attack: Bite +17 melee (1d8+6 plus poison) and tail slap +12 melee (1d8+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Charming gaze, constrict 1d8+3, improved grab, poison, spells
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/evil, darkvision 60 ft, outsider traits, unearthly grace
Saves: Fort +20, Ref +20, Will +20
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 22, Con 22, Int 22, Wis 22, Cha 22
Skills: Concentration +21, Diplomacy +23, Heal +21, Knowledge (any seven) +21, Listen +21, Sense Motive +21, Spellcraft +21, Spot +21, Swim +14*
Feats: Ability Focus (charming gaze), Empower Spell, Eschew MaterialsB, Greater Multigrab, Multigrab, Reflexive Constriction
Environment: A good-aligned and/or water-dominant plane
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 12
Treasure: Triple standard
Alignment: Always lawful good
Advancement: 13-17 HD (Large), 18-24 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: +2

Gleaming golden scales, emerald eyes... the naga is as beautiful as it is wise and powerful. In spite of its mighty coils and ivory fangs, you know you have nothing to fear from the creature.

Naga are benevolent water spirits revered by many cultures. They serve as healers, protectors, and advisors for the mortal races - or sometimes as guardians of priceless treasures.

A naga is a great serpent with a scaled humanoid head. Their scales are usually gold but can be almost any metallic or even iridescent colour, and their eyes gleam as brightly as jewels.

A naga speaks Aquan, Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, and Gnome, and may learn other languages.

Combat
A naga makes intelligent use of its various attacks - simultaneously using its gaze, constriction, and spellcasting to take on even large groups of opponents at once. However, it much prefers diplomacy to combat.

A naga's natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as good- and lawful-aligned.

Charming Gaze (Su)
As charm monster (caster level 12th), 30 feet, Will DC 24 negates. The save DC is Charisma-based.

A naga typically attempts to persuade non-good charmed creatures to adopt a good alignment via Diplomacy.

Constrict (Ex)
A naga deals double tail slap damage on a successful grapple check. A naga can constrict multiple creatures simultaneously, provided they are all at least two sizes smaller than it.

Improved Grab (Ex)
To use this ability, the naga must hit with a tail slap attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.

Poison (Ex)
Injury or contact, Fortitude DC 22, initial and secondary damage 1d10 Con. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Spells (Ex)
A naga casts spells as a 12th-level sorcerer, and can also cast spells from the cleric list and from the Good, Law, Scalykind, and Water domains. The cleric spells and domain spells are considered arcane spells for a naga, meaning that the creature does not need a divine focus to cast them.

Typical Spells Known (6/8/8/7/7/6/4; save DC 16 + spell level)
0th-create water, cure minor wounds, detect magic, guidance, light, mage hand, purify food and drink, prestidigitiation, read magic
1st-cure light wounds, divine favour, mage armour, magic missile, shield
2nd-acid arrow, glitterdust, invisibility, resist energy, spiritual weapon
3rd-dispel magic, fly, greater magic fang, heroism
4th-death ward, fire shield, freedom of movement
5th-cone of cold, plane shift
6th-heal

Unearthly Grace (Su)
A naga adds its Charisma modifier as a resistance bonus to all its saving throws and as a deflection bonus to its Armour Class. (The statistics block already reflects these bonuses).

Skills
A naga has a +8 racial bonus on Swim checks and may always take 10 on such checks.

Variant Naga
Some naga choose to act more like venomous snakes than constrictors. They select the Ability Focus (poison), Deadly Spittle (http://dnd.arkalseif.info/feats/serpent-kingdoms--24/deadly-spittle--530/index.html)SK and Spit Venom (http://dnd.arkalseif.info/feats/serpent-kingdoms--24/spit-venom--2738/index.html)SK feats instead of the Multigrab, Greater Multigrab, and Reflexive Constriction feats.
SKSerpent Kingdoms

New Feat
Reflexive Constriction [General]
Once you've established a hold on an enemy you can crush them with very little thought.

Prerequisites
Constrict special attack, improved grab ability, Greater MultigrabSK, MultigrabSK.
SKSerpent Kingdoms

Benefits
While you have established a hold on a creature, you may make grapple checks to constrict that creature as free actions (you may only make one such check each turn for each creature you are grappling). You are otherwise free to cast spells, make attacks, move, and perform other actions.

Normal
Only the first grapple you initiate with the improved grab ability is a free action.

nonsi
2019-01-04, 02:02 AM

The low damage from physical attacks deceptively paints a picture of a low-power opponent, but with the suggested variant or Reflexive Constriction, this one actually has decent options.
The spell selection versatility is quite nice, but the Sorc's limited repertoire is always a limiting factor. One can't circumvent making painful decisions.

The Always-LG part is an obvious shift from the core monster's slight tendency south of Neutral.

rferries
2019-01-04, 02:39 AM

The low damage from physical attacks deceptively paints a picture of a low-power opponent, but with the suggested variant or Reflexive Constriction, this one actually has decent options.
The spell selection versatility is quite nice, but the Sorc's limited repertoire is always a limiting factor. One can't circumvent making painful decisions.

The Always-LG part is an obvious shift from the core monster's slight tendency south of Neutral.

Thanks! Yeah, I use Pathfinder's standardised damage for natural attacks these days, even though it tends to be less than 3.5.

I'm tempted to switch them to favoured soul spellcasting, yes - it's always hard to write up monsters with so few spell choices haha.

I imagine there would be evil variants; for now I've revamped them into a watery counterpart to the airy couatls.

Maat Mons
2019-01-04, 02:54 AM
It may just be that I started with Oriental Adventures, but shinomen nagas are the only type of naga I ever liked.

nonsi
2019-01-04, 04:35 AM
Thanks! Yeah, I use Pathfinder's standardised damage for natural attacks these days, even though it tends to be less than 3.5.

I'm tempted to switch them to favoured soul spellcasting, yes - it's always hard to write up monsters with so few spell choices haha.

I imagine there would be evil variants; for now I've revamped them into a watery counterpart to the airy couatls.

Did you make a Couatle and I somehow missed it? :smallconfused:

rferries
2019-01-05, 03:44 AM
Did you make a Couatle and I somehow missed it? :smallconfused:

Ha no, I meant in the sense of "venomous, serpentine, constricting, spellcasting lawful good outsiders" :)