PDA

View Full Version : God tier Magic artifacts help

richardbob123
2019-01-03, 02:58 PM
what type of creatures do think would be able to take on a god, because at moment in my world i'm going to be making god killing artifacts with powerful creatures sealed inside and so far i have a Fenrir type one, one based on the nemean lion and two powerful dragons

nickl_2000
2019-01-03, 03:04 PM
Tarrasque
Demogorgon (high level Demon's and Devils in general)
Greek Titans (huge elementals)
Lovecraftian Elder Beings

Unoriginal
2019-01-03, 04:53 PM
what type of creatures do think would be able to take on a god, because at moment in my world i'm going to be making god killing artifacts with powerful creatures sealed inside and so far i have a Fenrir type one, one based on the nemean lion and two powerful dragons

In D&D lore, the only thing that can kill a god is another being with a divine spark, unless Things Have Gone Wrong (see the various FR deities that got killed during THGW moments).

So basically, as options you have full-fledged gods, demigods, titans (aka creatures directly created by the gods with the divine spark) and vestiges (aka former gods who lost their worship).

The Tarasque, for example, is a titan and a god-killer.

Some Elder Evils are divine (or divine enough), so they could do it too.

Fenrir could count as a titan or a demigod, for example.

If you want more ideas from mythologies, why not the Asura from Hindu mythology?

Damon_Tor
2019-01-03, 05:23 PM
vestiges (aka former gods who lost their worship).

What if you find a quiver of arrows, and each arrow is made from a vestige. Each arrow could have a side effect relating to the domain the dead god once held in addition to having the ability to kill gods.

thoroughlyS
2019-01-03, 05:36 PM
In D&D lore, the only thing that can kill a god is another being with a divine spark, unless Things Have Gone Wrong (see the various FR deities that got killed during THGW moments).
To elaborate, in order for a mortal to kill a god, they usually have to get on the same playing field. The two main ways to do that are to ascend to divinity themselves, or strip the god of their divinity (usually by disassociating them from their domains, so they don't get power from worship).

So for your concept, I assume these weapons are empowering the players by channeling the divine spark of whatever's trapped inside to the wielder. Fighting gods isn't the same as fighting mortals, and trying to make it the same makes being a god pretty much meaningless. While I disagree with this set-up, it makes sense for what you want to do.

In order to help you come up with ideas, it would be nice to have some context. How many gods are the players trying to kill? What kind of gods are they (i.e. what are their domains, who are their worshipers, how important/powerful are they)? How many players do you have? How many of them do you want to have these weapons? What is their fighting style? What level are they? What classes?

Of the ideas you've presented so far, I like the Fenrir one the most. Assuming the backstory is relatively similar, a trapped, monstrous, child of a god seems thematic and evocative.

richardbob123
2019-01-03, 06:16 PM
so the artifacts so far a , sword for fenrir , axe for the lion, a pair of wings for one dragon and a pair of gauntlets for the other.

thoroughlyS
2019-01-03, 07:44 PM
Without knowing any of the context mentioned above, I don't know if those are good or bad ideas. It would also help to know what you want these weapons to do. What kind of benefits do you want them to confer? How does that help the players kill gods?

The more information we have the more we can help you.

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-01-04, 12:16 AM

I just saw Aquaman. Want to fight in water? Get a trident which can let you make EVERY creature in the water attack the bad guy.

We'll need something for fighting on land and for fighting in the air.