PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A 5e Fear Spell Duration

theomc
2019-01-03, 03:18 PM
When you cast the Fear spell you project a 30' cone of the targets' worst fears and they have to run away for a minute (the duration), but how long do you project the cone of fear? Just for a split second, or for the duration (can you turn and hit more people, or do you have to keep the cone on the initial targets)?

I kind of assumed it was a split second and the spell's "Duration" referred to how long targets were affected, but I looked at Hypnotic Pattern as a parallel case, and it specifically states that the sparkles (or whatever) appear for an instant and only targets in the area at that instant are affected...?

PhoenixPhyre
2019-01-03, 03:39 PM
When you cast the Fear spell you project a 30' cone of the targets' worst fears and they have to run away for a minute (the duration), but how long do you project the cone of fear? Just for a split second, or for the duration (can you turn and hit more people, or do you have to keep the cone on the initial targets)?

I kind of assumed it was a split second and the spell's "Duration" referred to how long targets were affected, but I looked at Hypnotic Pattern as a parallel case, and it specifically states that the sparkles (or whatever) appear for an instant and only targets in the area at that instant are affected...?

As I understand it, your initial assumption is correct. Any kind of continued effect would say that it's continually blasting out. Which would be weird, honestly, for this spell. You have to chase them around to keep the fear on them?