PDA

View Full Version : Index [3.5] Monsters With Non-Standard Progressions

Thurbane
2019-01-03, 04:39 PM
So, I'm looking to compile a list of monsters with non-standard progression rules.

Most monsters either advance by hit die of their racial type, or by class levels. But some creatures have their own unusual rules in regards to advancement.

Barghests, for example, gain HD and abilities by consuming foes. Dusk Giants (HoH) and Red Caps (MM3) also have their own unusual rules.

With the community's help, I'm looking to make a list of these creatures. Looking for official 3.5 (and non-updated 3.0) sources only. No Dragon mag or PF at this stage.

Cheers - T

Thurbane
2019-01-03, 04:40 PM
-reserved-

OgresAreCute
2019-01-03, 04:43 PM
True dragons, I guess.

Thurbane
2019-01-03, 04:46 PM
True dragons, I guess.

Of course! Thank you.

The Viscount
2019-01-03, 05:05 PM
Maurezhi (FF) advances in a manner similar to the Barghest.

This might not be exactly the same, but Gray Slaadi advance to become Death Slaadi through special ritual.
Fensir (FF) can become Rakka after giving birth in addition to their normal advancement.
Kruthiks from Miniatures Handbook do have advancement, but it is stated that they have a life cycle that ages through the three forms.

Particle_Man
2019-01-03, 06:08 PM
This may be a bit out of the box, but intelligent magic items can be improved with a feat (like one in the Book of Exalted Deeds, though I forget the name) that allows someone to use a ritual to transform other wealth into more abilities for a bonded magic item (which could be intelligent).

But whether an intelligent magic item counts as a creature for your purposes, I could not say.

Going the other way, some oozes can split into other lower HD oozes due to combat (Black puddings for example). Maybe they can also be smooshed together to gain HD?

Is spawning part of this? Because technically a 1 HD commoner that becomes a wight just got a heck of an HD upgrade.

What about Lycanthropy?

unseenmage
2019-01-03, 06:13 PM
In the same vein as the above Homunculus can be altered with the Improved Homunculus material IIRC.

Thurbane
2019-01-03, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

Trying to look specifically at monsters with special advancement rules.

Fluff, intelligent magic items, templates etc. aren't really what I'm looking for.

True Dragons and Maurezhi are perfect examples.

ksbsnowowl
2019-01-04, 06:39 PM
Beast of Xvim - Monsters of Faerun...

Sorry, typing one-handed while holding a baby. See this thread:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?544790-Creature-that-gains-HD-by-eating-other-creatures

Also this: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?575777-Beast-of-Xvim-Template