PDA

View Full Version : Options for a Mimeography Mage?

Afgncaap5
2019-01-03, 07:19 PM
tl;dr - Are there any good options for a mage who wants to focus on duplication and replication?

---------

So I'm playing a Wild Mage Sorcerer in a friend's Ravnica campaign, with the Izzet Engineer background. I rolled to see previous labs I've been involved in, and got Plasma-Dermatology, the practice of colliding different energies at each other in the attempt to create elemental Weirds, and the laboratory of Mimeography, the art of replication and duplication.

I've been trying to keep all my spells in line with things that I feel like would fit those two things, and Plasma-Dermatology is pretty easy. But Mimeography is giving me some troubles. The *best* spell I have for it at the moment is Mirror Image and, honestly, apart from the fact that it's limited to myself it gets the job done. The DM's allowed me to push the boundaries of just what the spell "does" here and there (like letting me have four of myself in a room to all frantically argue with each other when she's feeling conflicted or worried about something) but it's still kinda limited. Before I ask if I could start combining spells (Mirror Image + Mage Hand would start to cover a lot of material together) I was wondering if anyone knew about some other good options that I might be missing.

For the record, we're level 5 at the moment, probably level 6 pretty soon.

Leith
2019-01-03, 07:38 PM
Magic missile (create magic duplicates of a mundane missile like a knife or arrow)
Unseen servant (a poor copy of yourself or a friend)
Cloud of daggers (see magic missile)
Enlarge/reduce (people don't always need the same size copies)
Gentle repose (it's easier to make good copy of something fresh)
Locate object (you've got to know where your copies are.)
Nystul's magic Aura (fakes are still copies right?)
Major image (see above)
Melf's minute meteors (magic copies of a rock)
Phantom steed (a bad copy of a mount, with some embellishment)
Conjure minor elementals (conjure 1, duplicate to many)
Fabricate (I don't need to explain that)
Polymorph (turn one thing into a duplicate of another)
Stone shape (stone copies)

That's all I feel like doing...

Afgncaap5
2019-01-03, 08:36 PM
Thanks, though I've got some limits on refluffing things. Of those options, the best ones for my purposes would be Cloud of Daggers, Major Image, Melf's minute meteors, Phantom Steed, and Fabricate. Conjure Minor Elementals is one I'd forgotten about, but it and Magic Missile would do better in the Plasma Dermatology departments, I think.

-Edit-

To clarify: one bit of refluffing I'm doing is allowing Illusions of things to have a certain amount of substance to them (generally describing them as sandy or icy in nature, sort of like the Simulacrum or Shadow Bridge spells in 3.5 being made out of ice, snow, or shadow-stuff.) When and if Major Image worked, it'd still be in that vein.

Particle_Man
2019-01-03, 09:09 PM
Oh I thought you meant mime and was going to suggest a sorcerer with subtle metamagic and the entertainer background.

Ganymede
2019-01-03, 09:15 PM
Why not simply a mimeograph tool proficiency?

Afgncaap5
2019-01-03, 10:12 PM
Why not simply a mimeograph tool proficiency?

Easily handled at level 1, there's much more build to go after that

Ganymede
2019-01-03, 10:16 PM
Easily handled at level 1, there's much more build to go after that

Why does it have to be "build" related? Your DM is already letting you fluff fun interactions in the spirit of this tradition. Why not just elaborate on that?

I have a PC that is a tyromancer, but all of my constructs are not made of magic cheese; working it into the PC's backstory, personality, and interactions is enough.

Afgncaap5
2019-01-05, 03:14 PM
Why does it have to be "build" related? Your DM is already letting you fluff fun interactions in the spirit of this tradition. Why not just elaborate on that?

I have a PC that is a tyromancer, but all of my constructs are not made of magic cheese; working it into the PC's backstory, personality, and interactions is enough.

Because I... want it to be?

Like, I know in 3.5 there was a spell that made copies of the caster. As far as I know, such a thing doesn't exist in this game. But I'm looking for more options that I can use without fluff because, really, I don't care for refluffing things.

Ganymede
2019-01-05, 03:17 PM
Because I... want it to be?

Like, I know in 3.5 there was a spell that made copies of the caster. As far as I know, such a thing doesn't exist in this game. But I'm looking for more options that I can use without fluff because, really, I don't care for refluffing things.

Good luck and have fun with it!

Afgncaap5
2019-01-05, 03:21 PM
Thanks! I might have to have my sorcerer invent a new spell to actually get it, but I'll see.

Azgeroth
2019-01-05, 04:08 PM
2 levels of cleric : trickery. your not going to find a better 'duplicate' spell than the trickery channel divinity. thats aside from clone, true polymorph, and simulacrum.