PDA

View Full Version : Building my own table

Mercurias
2019-01-04, 01:31 AM
I’ve been trying to find a D&D 5th edition table for 2 years now. Every time I nearly join a table, it closes ranks at the last moment or breaks up before I can join. Tonight, though, was the first time I actually got UPSET at being dropped at the last second because it was literally a quarter hour before the game was going to start, and I was so embarrased at how eager I’d been that my ears are still burning from embarrassment after being told the group evicted me at the last moment.

I live in Murfreesboro, TN, and I work in Franklin, TN. Is there any tabletop network I’m missing in my community? If no one knows of a group, how do your build your own? I’d prefer to DM from now on, just because if you DM then you’re less likely to be ejected without warning. MAN I’m frustrated.

lperkins2
2019-01-04, 01:50 AM
I’ve been trying to find a D&D 5th edition table for 2 years now. Every time I nearly join a table, it closes ranks at the last moment or breaks up before I can join. Tonight, though, was the first time I actually got UPSET at being dropped at the last second because it was literally a quarter hour before the game was going to start, and I was so embarrased at how eager I’d been that my ears are still burning from embarrassment after being told the group evicted me at the last moment.

I live in Murfreesboro, TN, and I work in Franklin, TN. Is there any tabletop network I’m missing in my community? If no one knows of a group, how do your build your own? I’d prefer to DM from now on, just because if you DM then you’re less likely to be ejected without warning. MAN I’m frustrated.

I wouldn't count on that. I've been fighting the same issue from the other side of the table for a long time now. People say they're interested in a game, maybe come to a session or two, say they're enjoying it, then bail in one way or another. I finally started doing games via roll20 or similar, with marginally better success.

Man_Over_Game
2019-01-04, 11:32 AM

It is a major problem that comes up a lot. Find a gaming store with some open space that lets you host some games, and start hosting some one-offs. Say that the one-shots are a trial period to find players who are willing to stick around, and say that completing these one shots will reward their future character with a minor magic item as a family heirloom. People dig that kind of stuff, and being upfront about it will make sure no players coming in late will feel butthurt about someone's magical flashlight.

Zaharra
2019-01-06, 09:24 AM
Have you considered playing online?

I don't have issues finding a game irl, but I have some time constraints and I've been playing with a couple groups online for about a year. I've been told by DMs that finding good players is hard because getting respectful, socially well adapted, reliable players is an issue

EggKookoo
2019-01-06, 09:31 AM
I wouldn't count on that. I've been fighting the same issue from the other side of the table for a long time now. People say they're interested in a game, maybe come to a session or two, say they're enjoying it, then bail in one way or another. I finally started doing games via roll20 or similar, with marginally better success.

How well does roll20 work for the actual gaming experience? Does it come close to capturing the "hanging out with peeps" feel of actually sitting around a table?

Mercurias
2019-01-06, 09:33 AM
Depends on the group. Some people are great with Roll20, and others have trouble holding interest when they have ready access to google and reddit on another browser tab.

Neknoh
2019-01-06, 10:00 AM
There's a groupfinder on Reddit, https://www.reddit.com/r/lfg/

2D8HP
2019-01-07, 10:29 AM

I live in Murfreesboro, TN, and I work in Franklin, TN. Is there any tabletop network I’m missing in my community?....

I don't know your area but this took me five minutes to find:

2019/01/09
Event Type:
D&D Adventurers League
Format:
Dungeons & Dragons
Phone:
931-954-1520
More Info:
[email protected]
www.facebook.com/goeverscape
5p-8p

Date:
2019/01/10
Event Type:
D&D Adventurers League
Format:
Dungeons & Dragons
Phone:
931-954-1520
More Info:
[email protected]
www.facebook.com/goeverscape
5p-8p

FrancisBean
2019-01-07, 11:50 AM
I don't know your area but this took me five minutes to find:
((Everscape AL listings snipped for brevity.))

I am in his area. Everscape is in Manchester, around 30 miles down the interstate from Murfreesboro. It's not a great option, but at least it's all Interstate and it's mostly outside the Nashville daily traffic apocalypse. I dunno about the time frame for someone who works Franklin, though: it's very much in the wrong direction, and would require getting off work by 3:30pm to make it on time.

I'd think an evening table up toward Nashville might actually work better, since the commute would at least be opposite traffic. But really, the territory along his commute route is mostly low population density farmland and horse country. (My wife's horse is currently at a ranch out there.) I'm wondering if there's a gaming club at MTSU which might be open to the community at large as well as students?

2D8HP
2019-01-07, 12:06 PM
I am in his area. Everscape is in Manchester, around 30 miles down the interstate from Murfreesboro. It's not a great option, but at least it's all Interstate and it's mostly outside the Nashville daily traffic apocalypse. I dunno about the time frame for someone who works Franklin, though: it's very much in the wrong direction, and would require getting off work by 3:30pm to make it on time.

I'd think an evening table up toward Nashville might actually work better....

Nashville?

Is this:

Date:
2019/01/09
Event Type:
D&D Adventurers League
Format:
Dungeons & Dragons
Phone:
615-883-4800
More Info:
[email protected]

Date:
2019/01/11
Event Type:
D&D Adventurers League
Format:
Dungeons & Dragons
Phone:
615-883-4800
More Info:
[email protected]

close?

Will the OP please tell why the Adventurers League "Event Locator" isn't working for them?

FrancisBean
2019-01-07, 12:51 PM
Will the OP please tell why the Adventurers League "Event Locator" isn't working for them?

Actually, I think we've (both of us) missed his point in this thread. Doh. He's now looking to get his own table going rather than find an existing one, which means local game shops which aren't currently hosting AL games might be the best bet. Which also tells me why the Event Locater isn't helpful here, except for maybe one day registering his own table.

Apologies for wandering off in the weeds -- I sort of missed the point.

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-01-07, 12:51 PM
I've been told by DMs that finding good players is hard because getting respectful, socially well adapted, reliable players is an issue

That's why I've started exclusively playing with good friends of mine who don't know how to play but who I think would enjoy it. Over the past couple of years I've taught close to 15 people how to play and now have one group where I play and one where I DM. That's all I have time for, but I find that it's easier to teach someone with all the qualities above how to play D&D than it is to teach someone who knows the game all the qualities above.

@OP, maybe consider teaching some people how to play who you know well? You really only need 2-3 people to have a good time, but obviously more can add to the fun. Best of luck. I live in Jackson a couple hours west of you and there are plenty of people who play or are willing to learn here, so I'm sure you can find some.

cyberfunkr
2019-01-12, 02:29 PM
If you are looking to start your own table, but can't host at your own residence, there are plenty of options. And they don't have to be gaming shops, just anywhere where 10 or fewer can sit in comfort and be a little noisy.

For instance, near me is an art gallery. It's actually a gallery in the front and studio space in the back to teach art classes. They only have classes a few nights a week so otherwise the room is empty so they opened it up to gamers. It's a closed off space from the rest of the business, can comfortably seat a dozen people, and lots of other perks. The owner just asks a few bucks per head to cover keeping those lights on.

So while FLGS is great, don't overlook churches, VA halls, Elk lodge, and other places to hold your game

Sigreid
2019-01-13, 02:02 AM
The only way to do this is to find places, either physical or virtual, where people who might be interested are likely to be and flexing your own social skills, making friends setting up some kind of a social situation to make sure they can get along and going for it.

My current group, and the one before that was put together using usenet groups. Before that it was finding other military personnel looking for something to do when we couldn't leave base. The ones before that were just organized among friends from school and people chatted up in hobby stores.

Pex
2019-01-13, 02:22 AM
It's not you.

This was for Pathfinder but still. A group forms. The DM can't decide between his workplace or his home to meet. After a month from Session 0 he finally decides on his workplace because of wife. We have a game. He schedules next game. The day before the game he postpones because of work and reschedules. Every time the next game approaches he reschedules with an excuse of either work issues or wife being sick issues. Eventually he stops emailing altogether.

Two months later a player from the group who was at that game wants to try to set up a campaign. No one wants to DM so he looks for a new one. He says he found one who would email details of the game. The new DM does not email anything, but a meeting is made at this player's place. The day of the game I go to his building. The doorman says player's name doesn't live there. In addition the apartment is vacant. I send an email to inquire what's going on. I get a bite to eat. As learned in email another player arrived also getting the same info from the doorman. The host player does not respond to email. I go back to the building after eating to see if the player cleared things up with the doorman. Nope. Nothing. I leave. The player in question does not send any more emails in the following days or ever again. I doubt there ever was a new DM especially since there never was an email from him.

Mercurias
2019-01-14, 12:42 AM
Heya. I hadn't seen this one get responses. Apologies.

I checked out the Adventurer's League search options and wasn't able to find anyplace I would be able to get to in time for it to begin. I'm pretty often only getting home from the office around 6:30-7pm. I appreciate those who ran a search themselves, however. That was kind of those who did so.

There are two stores within a twenty-minute drive of me, and the closest told me they would rather I not try to run games there on weekends because they run M:TG tournaments and need the space. The other hasn't yet responded to my email. Running a weeknight game in the first store would have been an option for the first store, but they close before I leave the office.

At this point I'm thinking the best plan is to try and run something on Roll20 with a Discord channel where I can lore dump, post resources, coordinate sessions, and where the players and I can do post-session roleplay if they like.

Anonymouswizard
2019-01-14, 07:28 AM
How well does roll20 work for the actual gaming experience? Does it come close to capturing the "hanging out with peeps" feel of actually sitting around a table?

It highly, highly depends on the group. I've done it with a group of RL friends, which worked almost perfectly. We were possibly slightly more focused than in a RL session as nobody was keeping track of the remaining Jaffa Cakes. I've also done it with a group of people on this forum which, despite me having to drop as the third session was about to start, the second best game I was ever in. I've also done it with complete strangers, where if you're unlucky people can be too focused on the game or too focused on something else.

It does however have one major benefit: you never have to deal with the cat knocking minis or eating bits (I once almost lost a bit of a board game thanks to a friend's kitten, thankfully they had a lot of experience playing board games around it).

LudicSavant
2019-01-14, 08:04 AM

It has some really great tools for actually running the game if you know how to take advantage of them. So much so that I miss them in in-person games.

That said, it's much like any other medium in the sense that the good groups stay together, the bad ones break apart. Last Roll20 game I DMed ran for years.

Sigreid
2019-01-14, 08:45 AM
I personally found Roll 20 annoying and went for a different tool.

Online has the same basic issue as offline though, finding that group you jell with. You will likely find a lot of people that dont work for you. Just dont get discouraged.

Imbalance
2019-01-14, 09:08 AM
I’ve been trying to find a D&D 5th edition table for 2 years now.

Thread title and opening statement led me to expect a showcase of carpentry skills.

Only on topic advice I have is to troll your local college campus. This suggestion was presented to me as a means to recruit players for other tabletop games, and while my success was very limited, I recall seeing a fairly high frequency of posts for D&D players on the same pin up boards.