PDA

View Full Version : Is There a Way to Increase the Weight Allowance of Telekinesis Effects?

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-01-04, 02:19 AM
As per the title.

I know you have the telekinesis spell (and mage hand), as well as the three psionic powers. There's also the amethyst dragon's 10 ton telekinesis, which is really nice.

But is there a way to increase the amount you can move using telekinetic abilities? Adding your Str score to your weight allowance, maybe? Doesn't have to be +Str, either. Multiplying the weight by X amount, or adding your Int score in carrying capacity to your weight, or something would be very nice.

Can be a spell, power, feat, item, or whatever. Can be 3.0, 3.5, or Pathfinder.

Any ideas?

flappeercraft
2019-01-04, 02:22 AM
As per the title.

I know you have the telekinesis spell (and mage hand), as well as the three psionic powers. There's also the amethyst dragon's 10 ton telekinesis, which is really nice.

But is there a way to increase the amount you can move using telekinetic abilities? Adding your Str score to your weight allowance, maybe? Doesn't have to be +Str, either. Multiplying the weight by X amount, or adding your Int score to your weight, or something would be very nice.

Can be a spell, power, feat, item, or whatever.

Any ideas?

Reserves of Strength feat allows one to break CL caps.

Mordaedil
2019-01-04, 03:43 AM
Wait, what happens if you as a 12th level caster raise the fireball to 15th level? Does it stop at 13d6 or keep going to 15d6?

flappeercraft
2019-01-04, 04:02 AM
Wait, what happens if you as a 12th level caster raise the fireball to 15th level? Does it stop at 13d6 or keep going to 15d6?

As per RAW it is pretty clear you can surpass it period as there is no statement limiting the breaking of the limit to only the CL granted by the feat. However, it is very likely RAI is that only the CL granted by the feat bypasses the limit.

The relevant text.

When you cast a spell, you can decide to increase your caster level with that spell by 1, 2, or 3, but you are stunned for an equal number of rounds immediately after doing so. Your increased caster level affects all level-based variables of the spell, including range, area of effect, spell penetration, and the difficulty of dispelling the spell. You can exceed the normal level-fixed limits of a spell with this feat, so a 9th-level wizard could use Reserves of Strength to cast a Fireball as a 12th-level wizard and deal 12d6 fire damage.

If you are not subject to stunning effects, you instead suffer 1d6, 3d6, or 5d6 points of damage when you call upon your Reserves of Strength feat.

Unfortunately WotC had to be a jerk and include only up to CL 12 fireball in the example and did not include something like lets say a CL 15 to be sure its in all cases or add a statement that says you can't bypass with more than the CL. Therefore RAW is clear, RAI is not.

Mordaedil
2019-01-04, 04:08 AM
WotC is pretty good at making examples that fail to clarify anything.

fallensavior
2019-01-04, 09:22 AM
Are you trying to deal damage? You can optimize what you are telekinesing instead. E.g.: Huge Bastard Swords are 3d8 and 24 pounds each. So you can violently thrust 15 of them for 45d8.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-01-04, 09:29 AM
Are you trying to deal damage? You can optimize what you are telekinesing instead. E.g.: Huge Bastard Swords are 3d8 and 24 pounds each. So you can violently thrust 15 of them for 45d8.Among other things. Mainly I want to increase the movement capacity so I can telekinetically lift buildings and stuff, even if it's just for the impressiveness factor. Any Medium sized barbarian worth his Str score can lift a 1,000 lb boulder, but doing it with your mind is far more likely to raise eyebrows.

Plus, it's not something I've come across before. Beyond Reserves of Strength (as noted above), I've never seen anything that does so, either directly or indirectly, and you'd think someone would've thought about it beforetime, given how popular the telekinesis effect is.

fallensavior
2019-01-04, 09:35 AM
Among other things. Mainly I want to increase the movement capacity so I can telekinetically lift buildings and stuff, even if it's just for the impressiveness factor. Any Medium sized barbarian worth his Str score can lift a 1,000 lb boulder, but doing it with your mind is far more likely to raise eyebrows.

Plus, it's not something I've come across before. Beyond Reserves of Strength (as noted above), I've never seen anything that does so, either directly or indirectly, and you'd think someone would've thought about it beforetime, given how popular the telekinesis effect is.

Master of the Unseen Hand (CW) gets bonus caster levels just for telekinesis. But it doesn't get much play, because it doesn't advance spellcasting.

flappeercraft
2019-01-04, 11:35 AM
Master of the Unseen Hand (CW) gets bonus caster levels just for telekinesis. But it doesn't get much play, because it doesn't advance spellcasting.

Master of the Unseen Hand while not perfect due to being a no progression class is actually not bad compared to non-caster PrC’s. It’s worth taking IMHO, especially if you don’t care about casting anything else.