PDA

View Full Version : Divine wizard, cloistered cleric, or something of that kind?

Yora
2019-01-04, 02:49 AM
Clerics never did it for me in D&D. They always feel like a fighter/priest, but leaving the spot for just priests unoccupied. For the campaign I am preparing, I considered giving bards the role of priests by changing their inspiration to chants, but the bard is also a skill monkey, which doesn't quite fit.
I think a new wizard specialization that adds healing abilities to wizards might be a way to fill that role in my campaign nicely. Does anyone know if there is something like that around,

lunaticfringe
2019-01-04, 03:23 AM
Theurgy Wizard appears in this (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/wizard-revisited) UA. Might be worth a look. An earlier version appears in another UA but I can't recall which off the top of my head.

Yora
2019-01-04, 03:43 AM
Those two seem to be more or less identical. A Life Theurge would get cure wounds and lesser restoration, and then all cleric spells at 10th level. Nothing spectacular, but it would do the job.

That's pretty much what I was looking for. Thanks.

BobZan
2019-01-04, 07:19 AM
Arcana
Grave
Knowledge
Light
Order !

These Domains are very good for 'full priests'

Aett_Thorn
2019-01-04, 07:35 AM
Arcana
Grave
Knowledge
Light
Order !

These Domains are very good for 'full priests'

I think that the OP is looking for a class that then can’t wear half plate and carry a shield while being all priest-y.

CTurbo
2019-01-04, 07:48 AM
You could reflavor the Redemption Paladin as a priest. Unarmored AC of 16 + Dex and the general pacifist nature is perfect.

BobZan
2019-01-04, 08:13 AM
I think that the OP is looking for a class that then can’t wear half plate and carry a shield while being all priest-y.

Hmmm got it!

I'd recommend Lore Bard, Celestial Warlock and Divine Soul Sorcerer then

Nhorianscum
2019-01-04, 09:52 AM
Those two seem to be more or less identical. A Life Theurge would get cure wounds and lesser restoration, and then all cleric spells at 10th level. Nothing spectacular, but it would do the job.

That's pretty much what I was looking for. Thanks.

Worth noting that an (Arcana) Cleric (Azurious background) and ritual caster (wiz) is functionally a wis based wizard. Not as good as theruge but it's usable at more tables.

Particle_Man
2019-01-04, 10:09 AM
What if you start with a divination wizard and then multiclass into knowledge cleric? I forget what you get for going into cleric but I don’t think it is much in the way of armor.

Millstone85
2019-01-04, 10:17 AM
What if you start with a divination wizard and then multiclass into knowledge cleric? I forget what you get for going into cleric but I don’t think it is much in the way of armor.You actually get proficiency in light armor, medium armor and shields, same as if you had started as a cleric.

Particle_Man
2019-01-04, 10:43 AM
Hmmm. What about divination wizard into lore bard then?

Man_Over_Game
2019-01-04, 10:46 AM
A simple fix could be to just remove the medium armor + shield proficiency to get back short rest recharging (akin to Wizards or Land Druids)

Any clerics that would normally get heavy armor proficiency instead get medium armor + shield.

Any clerics that get martial proficiency but not Heavy Armor proficiency get Martial Proficiency and medium armor (no shield).

That'd probably be the closest fix I can think of to give the Cleric a "wimpy mystic" style of feel.

jaappleton
2019-01-04, 10:49 AM
I know you originally disregarded it, but I strongly urge you to take another look at the Bard. Specifically Lore Bard.

The game heavily encourages you to flavor things to your liking. Right?

So ignore the music instrument proficiency. Whatever.

"They get too many skills!"
You're a Priest that's spent much of his time in the Temple Library. That's why you know so much. Pick knowledge based skills.

"Why am I so charismatic, I'm a Priest!"
Isn't part of your work to spread the word of your Deity and their ideals?

You can hand pick spells from any other class list at levels 6 and 10.

And if your DM allows the Ravnica backgrounds, you can add MORE spells to your class list. More information here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?573354-Guildmaster-s-Guide-to-Ravnica-is-out!-AMA/page2

If your DM does allow the Ravnica backgrounds, I suggest going with Boros. All these spells would become Bard spells for you:

Cantrip fire bolt, sacred flame
1st guiding bolt, heroism
2nd aid, scorching ray
3rd beacon of hope, blinding smite
4th death ward, wall of fire
5th flame strike

Yora
2019-01-04, 10:51 AM
I am considering the various options.

JackPhoenix
2019-01-04, 11:05 AM
"Can wear armor" isn't the same as "Must wear armor". Obviously, it's generally better to be decked out in the best armor you can get than not, D&D is a game about combat, after all, but it's not necessity. Worst case, you can simply take clerics armor proficiencies away and give them monk's unarmored defense, and change divine strike for potent spellcasting, like the more caster-y domains have.

CTurbo
2019-01-04, 11:20 AM
Seriously Oath of Redemption is perfect

https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAThreeSubclasses.pdf

Armor of Peace
Starting at 3rd level, your commitment to peace
allows you to walk into the most dangerous
situations unarmored. While you aren’t wearing
armor or wielding a shield, your base AC is 16 +
your Dexterity modifier.

Warrior of Reconciliation
At 3rd level, you foreswear the weapons of war
in favor of simple tools. While wielding a simple
weapon that deals bludgeoning damage, you
gain a special benefit if you reduce a creature to
0 hit points with that weapon and decide to
spare the creature’s life. Instead of falling
unconscious, the creature is charmed by you for
1 minute. During that time, the charmed creature
is peaceful and docile, refusing to move or to
take actions or reactions, unless you command it
to. You can’t order the creature to attack, force
someone to make a saving throw, or cause
damage to itself or others. This charmed effect
ends early if you are incapacitated or if you or
your companions attack the creature, deal
damage to it, or force it to make a saving throw.
When the effect ends, the creature falls
unconscious if it still has 0 hit points.

Channel Divinity
When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain
the following two Channel Divinity options.
Emissary of Peace. You can use your Channel
Divinity to augment your presence with divine
power. As a bonus action, you grant yourself a +5
bonus to the next Charisma (Persuasion) check
you make within the next minute.
Rebuke the Violent. You can use your Channel
Divinity to rebuke those who use violence. As a
reaction when an enemy within 10 feet of you
deals damage with a melee attack against one
creature other than you, you force that attacker
to make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed
save, the attacker takes radiant damage equal to
the damage it just dealt. On a successful save, it
takes half as much damage.

Aura of the Guardian
Starting at 7th level, you can shield your allies
from harm at the cost of your own health. As a
reaction when an ally within 10 feet of you takes
damage, you instead magically take that damage.
This feature doesn’t transfer any other effects
that might accompany the damage.

Protective Spirit
Starting at 15th level, a holy presence mends
your wounds in combat. You regain hit points
equal to 1d6 + half your paladin level if you end
your turn in combat with fewer than half of your
hit points remaining and you aren’t
incapacitated.

Emissary of Redemption
At 20th level, you become an avatar of peace,
which gives you two benefits:
• You have resistance to all damage dealt by
other creatures (their attacks, spells, and other
effects).
• Whenever a creature damages you, it takes
damage equal to half the amount it dealt to
you.
If you attack a creature, deal damage to it, or
force it to make a saving throw, neither benefit
works against that creature until you finish a
long rest.

lunaticfringe
2019-01-04, 11:22 AM
IIRC your setting has lotsa trees. There is a fan made 5e update of Mystara available for free floating around the interwebs. It has a Greenspeaker or Tree Something Wizard subclass. It's signature level 2 ability is the ability to learn Druid Spells & Cantrips on level up.

It needs a bit of reworking, mainly it's later features feel like they are acquired in the wrong order imo. Might be useful for homebrew ideas and could potentially fit your setting better. (And Druids get Goodberry & Healing Spirit, damn useful healing spells).

Ganymede
2019-01-04, 11:43 AM
You could reflavor the Redemption Paladin as a priest. Unarmored AC of 16 + Dex and the general pacifist nature is perfect.

I think you're referencing an old version of this oath. The Oath of Redemption was reprinted in Xanathar's and this ability is not in there.

stoutstien
2019-01-04, 12:50 PM
Just ask dm if you could trade the cleric's armor Prof for monks unarmed feature and an extra cleric cantrip?

Then take ritual feat-wizard and we have a solid cloisters cleric.

KorvinStarmast
2019-01-04, 03:42 PM
Just ask dm if you could trade the cleric's armor Prof for monks unarmed feature and an extra cleric cantrip?
The OP is the DM.

Then take ritual feat-wizard and we have a solid cloisters cleric.

My suggestion:

Modify the Cleric Arcana Domain as follows:
Remove Proficiency: Medium armor, Shield. (No armor, no shield).
Add following to replace the proficiency: 1 / long rest arcane recovery (per wizard 2 feature)
At level ups 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 (you said your campaign ends about 10) a single wizard spell may be selected to add to the cleric list.

Pages 125-126 in Sword Coast Adventurers Guide is the reference.

Seriously, circle of the land druids seem such a perfect fit for your campaign ...