PDA

View Full Version : Lifedrain Warlock build help

Rallek25
2019-01-04, 02:57 AM
Hello everyone,
Recently I had an idea that I wanted to run by the community, get everyone's thoughts, and help to maximize this specific build. So here's my idea:

The idea of this character is to use a majority of necromancy spells, to suck/drain the life of his foes.
The class would be as follows: Warlock X/Wizard 2.

The Wizard school: Necromancy (for grim harvest)
The Warlock Patron: Fiend (for dark one's blessing)
Pact of the Tome.
Essentially with these two features, with every kill, the character would obtain both temporary and regular hit points. The tome is for more utility.
The Race would be Variant Human and the feat that would be chosen is Moderatley Armored as to have survivability when in close combat.
Stats (point buy):
STR-8
DEX-13 + 1 (feat)= 14
CON-14
INT-13
WIS-9 + 1 (race) =10
CHA-15 + 1 (race) = 16
With medium armor and shield AC would be 19.
At Lvl 4 the next thing would to take War Caster.

Invocations:
Devil's Sight
Mask of Many Faces
Book of Ancient Secrets (find familiar, ?)
(Need help with future choices)
Essentially, the mask of many faces is used as a way to stalk and pounce on the enemies. Devil's sight to prey on said foes with advantage in darkness. Book of Ancient secrets to have a crow help and to be an omen to those the character encounters.

Spells:
- Cantrips:
Toll of the dead (Wiz)
Shocking Grasp (Wiz)
Light (Wiz)
Eldritch Blast (War)
Minor Illusion (War)
Friends (War)
- Tome:
Vicious Mockery
- 1st Level Spells:
Shield (Wiz)
Silent Image (Wiz)
Detect Magic (Wiz)
Arms of Hadar (War)
Hex (War)
Armor of Agathys (War)
- 2nd Level Spells:
Shadow Blade
Darkness
Invisibility
- 3rd Level Spells:
Vampiric Touch (bread of butter of character)
- 4th Level Spells:
Blight

I haven't thought everything through but that's what I got so far. The main thing is getting to Vampiric touch to drain the life out of the enemies with Hex stacked on top. The character would obtain health from Vampiric touch as well as the feats from each class. The character would be sinister due to its Patron, but he focuses what we would call evil tendencies into hurting those that need harm. So, far this is what I got. Tell me what you think and if you can help with the build I'd love the feedback please. This character isn't meant to be an optimized character. It's meant to be something different from a blade lock and different from your average eldritch blast warlock. Thank you for the help and for taking the time to read this. It means a lot to me.

WeaselGuy
2019-01-04, 07:58 AM
You could go full on life steal, and go with an Zendikar Vampire. +1 Int, +2 Cha, Blood Thirst for some close-combat life drain.

Rallek25
2019-01-04, 03:25 PM
Do you know what book this race is in?

Misterwhisper
2019-01-04, 03:29 PM
Google the Plane Shift Zendikar PDF.

It is a free download but also not even close to being AL legal or anything.

Some DM's are ok with the planes PDF's at their tables, some are not.

Also you don't need ancient tome invocation, you could just take find familiar as a wizard spell.

Tome is still a great though.

Also, I would look into a raven queen patron warlock, it does not drain life like fiend does but it fits your theme very well.

It comes with a creepy raven familiar that gives you dark vision if it is on your shoulder and can't be targeted as long as it is there.

You could go pact of the chain for an imp, whose alternate form is also a raven and have one on each shoulder.

1ring42
2019-01-04, 03:34 PM
Another couple of ways to go is
Lizardfolk (hungry jaws and natural armor)
Or mountain dwarf which gives you heavy armor proficiency.

Sudsboy
2019-01-04, 04:22 PM
I haven't thought everything through but that's what I got so far. The main thing is getting to Vampiric touch to drain the life out of the enemies with Hex stacked on top.

Unfortunately, both require concentration.

Throne12
2019-01-04, 04:49 PM
Take one level of divine sorcerer to pick up the spell infect wounds. It's great to use with hex.

Digimike
2019-01-04, 04:54 PM
Unfortunately, both require concentration.

Maybe go hexblade since the HB curse doesn't require concentration, gives you life back when target dies, medium armor, and a better spell list.

1ring42
2019-01-04, 05:03 PM
Also pact of the blade to get lifedrinker invocation