PDA

View Full Version : Help me flesh out some story for my campaign

Satsujinki
2019-01-04, 08:37 AM
The group should be hired by "la Carovana", a group of over 40 merchant hikers with caravans, cars and miscellaneous, traveling around the countries buying and selling. At the moment, however, the caravan has already hired three groups (all npc), so it will decide to make the groups in 2 "task force", one that will work on the avant-garde and another that will walk with the "caravan", keeping therefore a more defensive role. The three groups are divided as follows:

A group of 5 scholars, people eager for knowledge and around the world looking for scriptures, artifacts and the like (npc wizards, 5 schools, I remember volo had them?)

A group of people armed to the teeth of guns, guns and the like. Actually this group is a group of psion, people who, some time ago, have been used as guinea pigs to develop strange powers, not derived from magic. The project is attacked with a missile attack and these 5 npc are the only ones left thanks to their skills.

The third group .... I do not know. I can't think of anything.....

The groups are three, symbolically, to give a choice to the characters, this choice will make them approach the main plot in a different way (the wizards and the sacred bible they are looking that will lead them to understand that there is a greater force approaching, the mystics and their secret, who was developing this power and why and the third group that should give the "freedom" to the characters to move as they see fit given my little notes that I will give).

Helps me "flesh out" the third group? and for the mystics, should I make real cards or should I keep everything very random and do things at the moment? Thanks to anyone who will answer me

Unoriginal
2019-01-04, 08:43 AM
How about: the third group is a goblin boss and their underlings, who are traveling to answer a bigger bad guy's summon but don't see any issue with being payed for traveling in a larger group.

That's give you a chance to start introducing your campaign's (or at least the first arc's) main antagonists

Man_Over_Game
2019-01-04, 11:01 AM
Group 3:
Runesmiths; metal workers who merge metal with faith. Because they can adapt their runes to match that of many religions, they are coveted for being able to forge items and buildings for major temples and holy warriors. They call themselves "The Pillars of Faith", and they really just act like a laid back construction crew. They have plans to hit several major cities for work, but they can find work or new runes pretty much anywhere.

Pathfinders; travelers who seek to chronicle the histories of the world. They work for a secret organization that uses a magical library, filled with notes written down by Pathfinders using special journals. They are hoping to witness major world events, and other Pathfinders have written entries about powerful Diviners saying that something in this corner of the world is going to cause a great change. This particular group of Pathfinders don't know what that is, but they're travelling a lot in the hopes that they find it. They're perfectly content with some adventurers doing all the hard work, though.

Consider making Group 2 consist of Githyanki. They are generally mystical, due to being "native" to Limbo (AKA The Astral Plane, AKA A blob of random elements that only organize themselves when you control it with your mind). Githyanki, of the Gith, are warlords hellbent on slaying Mind Flayers (Squid face people that possess your mind, there's definitely not one behind you) who once enslaved the Gith, so the Githyanki don't stop warring until Mind Flayers, and everything related to them, are extinct in the multiverse. Githzerai are the kinder, more philosophical versions that believe that they should spend their freedom spreading peace rather than being as ruthless as their previous enslavers. Githyanki are generally very xenophobic, but enough time to allow guns and missiles to come around would probably make them slightly more accepting.

strangebloke
2019-01-04, 11:11 AM
I'd go with a group of salty cusses.

A load of old knights who used to be in service to a great lord altogether, but after his downfall are just searching for a warm bed and a paycheck. They all used to be honorable and chivalrous, but they find themselves in a world with cars and guns that isn't like what they once knew. They're heavily armed and armored, and they're capable of divine magic, but they hide it all under a layer of dark cynicism.

They've got regrets and history. Their quest is to reclaim some scraps of the honor they once had.