PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Magic/intelligent item creation question

PrediDERP
2019-01-04, 01:20 PM
Hello giantitp,

I have a few questions regarding the magic item creation process. Looking for opinions and sources to back them up when appropriate.

First, a bit of background: I am playing a non-epic high level undead wizard who is familiar with creating wondrous items. He has created 3 or 4 of these in the past.

First question: my wizard is planning on creating a tie, which would take up the vest slot, and enchanting it with evasion. He also wants to turn this tie into an intelligent item AFTER giving it the evasion ability. While creating magical items you are not required to work on it consecutively; you can stop working on it, go adventure, then return to working on it. If my wizard were to do this, would he still be able to wear the tie and benefit from evasion? Or would he have to stop wearing it while adventuring?

Second question: my wizard does not need sleep because he is undead. While I understand that you still need "rest" to regain spells at the beginning of the next day, there are frequently times where he does not need to regain spells. Would my wizard be able to work on this item during the night time in this case? I know you cannot rush the process, but this isn't necessarily rushing it, is it?

Any feedback is appreciated.

lolcat
2019-01-05, 08:22 AM
As far as i know, there are no direct rules addressing this.

Me as a DM, i would rule it the following:
1.) Your character can wear/use the item and continue working on/improving it, IF he has the prerequisite of 8 hrs/day to work on it. If his work gets interrupted for any reason, the item becomes unusable until he has 8 uninterrupted hours in his lab/workplace to finish his "shift" on it.

2.) I would rule that while your character does not need to sleep, he can not work more than 1 shift per day on the same task, i.e. item creation. That being said, he could do 8 hrs. item creation and 8 hours spell research, or 8 hours alchemical creation, or 8 hrs of basket weaving in addition instead.