PDA

View Full Version : Mass Effect

AkodoKoji
2007-09-23, 04:25 PM
A new sci-fi rpg by the makers of Kotor is coming out. I'm surprised not to see any buzz here.

blackout
2007-09-23, 04:30 PM
OMG WTF BBQ! Mass Effect for the win! :smallbiggrin:

PhallicWarrior
2007-09-23, 04:36 PM
Quite.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
(Ten characters)

AkodoKoji
2007-09-23, 05:38 PM
Thank you. Thatis all I ask.

Ranis
2007-09-23, 10:05 PM
I seriously think it's going to be a three-way for Game of the Year between Mass Effect, Bioshock, and Halo 3. The only reason I say Halo 3 is because of the MASSIVE fanbase.

Icewalker
2007-09-24, 12:21 AM
Well I've seen Bioshock, and it is freaking awesome, I've seen the stuff for Mass Effect, and I pray to god my computer is good enough to run it (no), and the third thing I'd put up is Assassin's Creed, which I also hope my comp is good enough to run.

Of course, lastly, I would like to put up
ZERGLING ON A STICK!

http://i.thottbot.com/ss/o/31484.jpg

Alex Kidd
2007-09-24, 05:10 AM
I'm interested, might have a PC able to run it when it coems out too.

I've also heard it's gonna have a fully fleshed* out lesbian option if you play as a woman.
(http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/09/19) Bring on the xenophilia!

*I apologize for that, but I couldn't resist.

And Ranis, Microsoft fanboy much?

SmartAlec
2007-09-24, 07:28 AM
Mass Effect: Exclusive to the XBox 360. :smallfrown: BioWare have gone on record in saying there are no current plans for a PC version.

... probably because it'd require £600 of computer upgrades and 100 gigabytes of free space to make it work, or something.

Archonic Energy
2007-09-24, 08:38 AM
with Bioshock now out i need a new game to look forward to...

this is it!

well this & dragon age.

(what can i say... Bioware haven't missed the mark yet)

Edit:

Mass Effect: Exclusive to the XBox 360. BioWare have gone on record in saying there are no current plans for a PC version.

NNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!

*Grumble*

Ranis
2007-09-24, 09:01 AM
And Ranis, Microsoft fanboy much?

Not really, but name me something else that's come out this year that could possibly compete with those three.

Alex Kidd
2007-09-24, 09:16 AM
Not really, but name me something else that's come out this year that could possibly compete with those three.

I'm gonna say Brawl, and to a lesser degree Metroid Prime 3. And on the Sony front.... well Persona 3 is digital crack but not really GOTY material. And personally I'd take the Orange Box over Halo 3 anyday, though I don't see either as really GOTY material.

Really as I see it it's gonna be between Bioshock, Mass Effect and Brawl.

And between Brawl and Halo 3 in sales.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-09-24, 11:58 AM
It's games like Mass Effect that make me jealous of Xbox 360 users...but I KNOW they'll make a PC version eventually. They always do!:smallamused:

Darken Rahl
2007-09-24, 12:02 PM
And between Brawl and Halo 3 in sales.

Interesting that I have never heard of Brawl, yet I can't escape name recognition of Halo 3.

And you say there's gonna be a competition for sales?

Hmm.

Edit: I see you were abbreviating SSB to simply Brawl. And you're likely right simply because Japan's market is Nintendo loyal to a fault.

2007-09-24, 04:15 PM
I'm not sure about Mass Effect, I haven't seen anything that makes it look really awesome so far.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-09-24, 04:16 PM
The sheer scope of exploration and cinematic quality does not impress you?

ufo
2007-09-24, 04:21 PM
If I had a X360, I'd buy it. But the option for lesbian sex scene...

Well, I'm glad they respect sexualities in the minority, but I wouldn't be suprised if they did it to make certain people buy the game. And as far as I'm informed, there's no option for male/male.

SmartAlec
2007-09-24, 05:07 PM
To be fair to BioWare, they have already done the male same-sex PC/NPC relationship thing with Sky in Jade Empire.

Maybe they just didn't manage to fit that option in this time around. Or maybe it'll be in one of the Mass Effect sequels; they are, after all, planning a trilogy.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-09-24, 05:44 PM
AND lesbian romance with Silk Fox! Can't forget that!

Demented
2007-09-24, 06:23 PM
I can never remember the difference between Mass Effect and Tabula Rasa.
Except that the PR events for the latter are far more awesome.

Crow T. Robot
2007-09-24, 09:42 PM
I can honestly say this is the first time I heard of Tabula Rasa. And Now I have taken a minute to look it up, I am going to stick with Mass Effect.

And In Jade Empire there was a rumors of Ending up with Silk Fox and Dawn Star but I never had the time to find out.

SmartAlec
2007-09-24, 11:32 PM
Likewise. "Tabula Whatta?"

One's an RPG, the other's an MMORPG. They sound similar, but it's still like confusing Knights of the Old Republic and Star Wars: Galaxies.

Not that I'm saying Tabula Rasa will be as bad as Galaxies. I don't have a clue on that front.

Tekar
2007-09-24, 11:47 PM
As far as I can see these games are all hype games. They offer arcade like gameplay at best. (I'm usually not really impressed by exploration and cinematic quality)

Alex Kidd
2007-09-24, 11:50 PM
I see you were abbreviating SSB to simply Brawl. And you're likely right simply because Japan's market is Nintendo loyal to a fault.

Well that and the fact that Melee still sold abut 6 or 7 million despite being on the Gamecube, and considering how much more popular the Wii is than the GC, well I think you can work it out from there.

I can honestly say this is the first time I heard of Tabula Rasa. And Now I have taken a minute to look it up, I am going to stick with Mass Effect.

And In Jade Empire there was a rumors of Ending up with Silk Fox and Dawn Star but I never had the time to find out.

You could. Also with the same sex endings, the camera averted from the kiss if I remember right.

Also Tabula Rasa? Never heard of it.

SmartAlec
2007-09-24, 11:54 PM
As far as I can see these games are all hype games. They offer arcade like gameplay at best. (I'm usually not really impressed by exploration and cinematic quality)

You might be right, but it IS BioWare. Their level of quality has been pretty consistent in the RPG market, so perhaps they deserve the benefit of the doubt for now.

Spreeth
2007-09-25, 11:44 AM
I think that one of most important aspects of Mass Effect that are going to win my $50 is that it has magic. That's one of the things that has always turned me off of such titles as Halo and Bioshock... FPS games (or "Action" games in general) need to have an increase in some type of magical effect. Even if it is explained by such a mundane thing as, "This is a biological occurrence," at least Mass Effect will have SOMETHING besides big guns and bombs.

Darken Rahl
2007-09-25, 12:32 PM
Im still kinda doubting Brawl will outsell Halo, though...

Tekar
2007-09-25, 02:03 PM
I think that one of most important aspects of Mass Effect that are going to win my $50 is that it has magic. That's one of the things that has always turned me off of such titles as Halo and Bioshock... FPS games (or "Action" games in general) need to have an increase in some type of magical effect. Even if it is explained by such a mundane thing as, "This is a biological occurrence," at least Mass Effect will have SOMETHING besides big guns and bombs.
Bioshock has Plasmids.

2007-09-25, 02:39 PM
The sheer scope of exploration and cinematic quality does not impress you?

Meh.

Being able to fly to all sorts of different worlds that end up all being the same geographic feature all over (IE: A desert world, an ice world, a forest world) isn't really that that interesting. I don't know that is how it will work out, but usually space games that offer "huge galaxies to explore" wind up being just cinematic cutscenes of a spaceship flying that may as well just be taking you to a different part of one single planet.

I don't care a whole lot about cinematic quality in a game. I want good gameplay and storyline in an RPG. From what I've seen, the gameplay looks a bit clunky. Like KOTOR on Xbox. And I've heard nothing about gameplay, but most of the characters seem dull.

So, unless I hear something new and interesting, I won't be bothering with Mass Effect. 60 bucks would be better spent on Halo3.

Om
2007-09-26, 07:10 AM
It's games like Mass Effect that make me jealous of Xbox 360 users...but I KNOW they'll make a PC version eventually. They always do!:smallamused:Hopefully by the time it is released on the PC (two years or so) I'll have a machine able to run it.

SmartAlec
2007-09-26, 08:08 AM
I don't care a whole lot about cinematic quality in a game. I want good gameplay and storyline in an RPG.

Those are the things that you'd have to wait for a review for.

Elidyr
2007-09-26, 09:48 AM
You might be right, but it IS BioWare. Their level of quality has been pretty consistent in the RPG market, so perhaps they deserve the benefit of the doubt for now.

Thats the problem with Bioware. All their RPGs are consistent-ly the same.

Afraidofsharpie
2007-09-26, 09:56 AM
Mass Effect is what sold me on getting a 360 which I still need to do. Well that and Bioshock, but pretty much it's Mass Effect. Seriously I have yet to be disappointed by a Bioware game yet, especially any of their CompRPGs and I have faith in them like I have faith in Squenix, if they screw up I chalk it up to the Chaos theory and wait for the next release.

Om
2007-09-26, 12:06 PM
Thats the problem with Bioware. All their RPGs are consistent-ly the same.Consistently good perhaps but I can't see how you can conclude that BG1 and KotOR1, for example, are "samish".

2007-09-26, 01:24 PM
Those are the things that you'd have to wait for a review for.

Well, I'll just wait then.

Archonic Energy
2007-09-27, 04:18 AM
Thats the problem with Bioware. All their RPGs are consistent-ly the same.

you say that like it's a bad thing!
Bioware/Black Isle games are usually HUGE with an epic storyline... the original Baldurs Gate was brilliant and it included areas that weren't even needed in the storyline and brillianty written characters.

in a way they are victims of their own sucess because now everyone expects the new Bioware game to take 80+ hours to complete the main storyline and usually more to complest every side quest!

damn... i wanna play the BG series again now... when are those people going to finish that NWN2 module?

P.S. i am not in anyway associated with Bioware or any affifiated companys... i just REALLY like their games

North
2007-09-27, 05:06 AM
Human-Alien Lesbian sex scene?

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd171/northqwerty/20070919.jpg.gif

Link to P-A news on comic.
http://www.penny-arcade.com/2007/09/19

The BBFC classification for Mass Effect has revealed that the game has been awarded a 12 rating for "moderate violence and one sex scene".

Violence is pretty common these days, but a sex scene is sure to cause a bit of a stir. According to the extended classification over on the BBFC website the scene in question is "brief and undetailed" but does include "breast nudity in one version of the scene".

The classification goes on to state: "If playing as a male character the scene can take place between him and a human woman or a humanoid female alien. If playing as a female character the scene can take place between her and a male human or a female humanoid alien."

So that's quite a variety and certainly something for most sexual persuasions. Mass Effect is scheduled for release across Europe on November 23.

Elidyr
2007-09-27, 07:00 AM
you say that like it's a bad thing!
Bioware/Black Isle games are usually HUGE with an epic storyline... the original Baldurs Gate was brilliant and it included areas that weren't even needed in the storyline and brillianty written characters.

in a way they are victims of their own sucess because now everyone expects the new Bioware game to take 80+ hours to complete the main storyline and usually more to complest every side quest!

damn... i wanna play the BG series again now... when are those people going to finish that NWN2 module?

P.S. i am not in anyway associated with Bioware or any affifiated companys... i just REALLY like their games

Baldurs Gate games were released, what, 10 years ago? So why are Bioware's recent RPGs the same, or maybe even worse then the old IE games? Linear gameplay with limited RP choices was fine back in 1997, but now?

Om
2007-09-27, 07:54 AM
Baldurs Gate games were released, what, 10 years ago? So why are Bioware's recent RPGs the same, or maybe even worse then the old IE games? Linear gameplay with limited RP choices was fine back in 1997, but now?Ohh... I understand. Let me guess, you are a Morrowind fan?

Crispy Dave
2007-09-27, 11:14 AM
well being 360 exclusive isent all bad you can get a used system for about $200 and a used hard drive for $60 thats only $260 for a esecialy an xbox 360 pro