PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Channeled Pyroburst and Rapid Spell?

Kapu
2019-01-05, 01:50 AM
Well, first of all, I'm currently playing as a sorcerer in D&D 3.5, and I noticed that I could apply Rapid Spell (Feat) to Channeled Pyroburst (Spell).
The problem is, since C. Pyroburst has optional casting times... What would be the total casting time, if I apply R. Spell to the longest version of this spell (a.k.a. 2 rounds)?
Would it still be 2 rounds, since I have to apply the metamagic? Or would it be 1 round? :smallconfused:

Khedrac
2019-01-05, 03:53 AM
I think this would be pointless - the damage done by channeled pyroburst depends on how long you spend casting it - so shortening the casting time lessens the damage, no matter whether you shorten it by metamagic or just casting quickly.

That's my opinion - I don't think there will be a RAW answer.

It does raise the question of what happens if a sorceror applies empower spell to it though - does it pick up the extra damage for takign the extra time to cast while also being empowered? It shouldn't, but the implication of my answer to Rapid Spell is that it does... Hmm.

Having re-read Rapid Spell I am changing my mind - I think you can shorten the 2 rounds to 1 full round at the cost of increasing the spell level without losing damage.
Note: the Rapid Spell text specifies that when casting spontaneously you can only apply it to spells with casting times of multiple rounds, so you cannot use it with a quicker cast of a channelled spell. You also cannot use it with Rapid Metamagic because that does not actually makes casting quicker - it makes it take the normal time which in this case is slower.