PDA

View Full Version : Independence War/ I-War

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-09-23, 05:29 PM
Depending on where you live, you may know of this game as Independence War or I-War. The game was released in '98, but even by today's standards is an impressive game. It is a flight simulator- but far from Wing Commander or Freespace. You don't fly a nimble fighter, you fly a mid-size capital ship, big enough to kill tugs and patrol ships and lumber like an ox but not big enough to take on the heavy things. The big point of the game is realism- it has full newtonian physics. Combined with the weight of your ship, and the gameplay is very different from any other game I've ever played. The game also has a detailed, branching storyline with four different endings. The player makes important choices throughout the game that directly impact later missions. And it isn't all combat- there are some interesting levels based around physics puzzles, asteroid deflection, even one like a 3D warmer/colder where you are trying to find the source of a radio signal.

It also had a sequel, Edge of Chaos. It follows very closely in its predecessor's roots, and is also a very good game.

Has anyone else played either of these? What are your thoughts and impressions?

SmartAlec
2007-09-24, 07:32 AM
Damn fine game, I-War. In terms of space simulation, nothing comes close. Excellent balance of physics and playability. Mechanics alone isn't usually enough to keep me interested, but the story threads and the overall plot running through I-War sealed the deal.

Two thumbs up!