PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Spell selection for a shadow sorcerer

Blackflight
2019-01-05, 06:06 AM
In an upcoming campaign i'm planning on playing a full shadow sorcerer (no multiclassing allowed). Following, I was wondering what spells I should pick for the shadow sorcerer?

We'll be starting off at level 6, which is where I get the hound of ill omen power house.

So at this level I'd get 7 spells + darkness + cantrips. What would you guys pick here? (we'll most likely be facing a fair balance of combat encounters, puzzles and social interactions)

From what I can tell there isn't actually a whole lot of spells in the sorcerer spell list that requires saving throws in combat? However, I'm thinking that fireball, hold person and perhaps slow would be good picks?

Citadel97501
2019-01-05, 12:28 PM
Your choices are good, here are a few others that I think work well for this subclass, or great spells that have issues that you might miss.

Good
Stinking Cloud is good as well, depending on poison immunity. Even if the Hound doesn't get to make attacks completely nullifying an enemy over multiple turns is great. This is even better if you have a fighter who can lock down the target so even if it gets its turn it can't move out. Oh and remember the hound also gets opportunity attacks if they try to leave.

Suggestion: This spell works very well with Hound of Ill Omen with a particular command. "You should flee, you might make it."
-Its unclear if the Hound of Ill Omen counts as one of your companions. So this may not be good depending on ST. Even if it doesn't this spell/command function is likely effective for removing a single target from the encounter even if the Hound isn't his target, as I know I wouldn't want to stick around if I saw a shadowy wolf tear out the throat of my boss.

Web once again another cheap option as its a level 2, and the hound can move through these webs depending on DM. Also remember most enemies don't have the movement to escape these the first turn even if they pass the save, as it costs 40'.

OK
Fear is a good nullifying spell, which provides fewer saving throws. Unfortunately its not a complete shutdown like Stinking cloud or Hold Person. I really wish you could choose what they are afraid of as that would be a blast with the hound.

Issues
Maximilian's Earthen Grasp, is an odd choice and likely overshadowed by others however it can be very effective at preventing caster type enemies since its a strength saving throw to escape the restrain, or a strength check to do so as your action. All in all massively overshadowed by Hold Person unless your fighting against multiple medium danger monsters but don't have a good target for Hound if Ill Omen. Wizard's maybe, but likely not for Sorcerers.

Dragon's Breath: Great spell but sadly can't be put on the Hound of Ill Omen, as it doesn't get to spend its action for the breath weapon.

Palfatreos
2019-01-05, 12:59 PM
Cantrip
combat
Fire Bolt:great range and damage dice
Shocking Grasp: if succes you disable the target reaction allow you to run away.
Frostbite: con save spell incase the enemy has high AC next weapon attack roll disadvantage.

Outside combat
minor illusion and mage hand are very versitile spells
Prestidigitation, Message, Mending could be intresting spells
Light: you don't really need this one with your darkvision but if there no other spelcaster and some people in your party withouth darkvision this could help them.

Lvl1
Mage armor, shield since you lack armor these 2 can mitigate that

lvl2
suggestion: like to control people do your bidding his spell for you
mirror image: now there 4 of you :O defesive spell
misty step: teleport with BA could be usefull to get acces to certain space or escape from melee engagement
phatastical force: handy to trick a person in or outcombat

Lvl3
Counterspell: other mages gona hate you
fireball: blow them to smithereens
hypnotical pattern: nice area spell that can disable tons creature if they fail the save
Haste: great to buff your melee companion and if you twin it can target another one or yourself

sophontteks
2019-01-05, 01:07 PM
Your metamagics will dictate much of your spell selection. It's hard to make too many suggestions without knowing that. I'm personally a huge fan of taking both subtle and empowered, so you are free to devote your metamagic towards the hound.

Assuming that, phantasmal force will be a great multi-purpose spell with a million uses. Subtle casting that is practically game-breaking. If you aren't taking subtle, then suggestion is better. Suggestion requires you to say the suggestion. This is outside the somatic components and makes subtle less effective. Empower will make your fireballs and other AOEs better, so don't leave them at home.

Your hounds will make hold person better, but you covered that. I'd pick it if you plan on fighting enough humanoids to make it worthwhile. Hold person has a big weakness in its lack of versitility though.

Don't forget the spells you need. Shield is a must. You will probably want a second defensive spell, like mirror image or mage armor too.