PDA

View Full Version : The Warden class, rough...

Sir Brett Nortj
2019-01-05, 07:12 AM
I have been inspired by others on this forum to craft this class, roughly. Please tell me what you think afterwards?

* This is inspired by @Fynzmirs, the "Omnimage," of course.

This will be the warden, as in preserver, prefect and guardian of their nature gods.It will be a mixture of Paladin, Druid and Ranger, and, get six sided dice hit points to balance the act. They will get access to all al those spells, in the form of spell points and, play by rules generated by the god, coming to them in a dream the day before they get access to this class, of course.

As a warden, they need to choose a nature god, and up hold their cause and message. Maybe they will need to play a barbarian before they get into the class, yes, a level in barbarian and one of those other three. They will of course retain the base hit points of the barbarian, so they will have a little crunch to their character, but, then they may learn to read and write too.

As far as granted powers, with the reduced hit points, they might need some help!

With the weapons and armour, I was thinking ranger based weapons and armour allowances, yes?

What do you think? Let's fluff it out?

Sir Brett Nortj
2019-01-05, 07:22 AM
Okay, too powerful, I second guess to myself?

How about this? The warden will only get their constitution modifier as hit points, each level, plus one, and,

The weapons will be short sword, dagger, club, bow and arrow, cross bow?

The armour will only be hide armour or leather, no studded leather?

Each time they cast a spell, their experience will be reduced? This would be, say, a hundred experience points for casting a spell, minus fifty percent for the casting, so their experience would be halved for each encounter?

How does that sound?

Sir Brett Nortj
2019-01-05, 07:24 AM
As a further penalty to spell use, they could combine all their bonuses from wisdom and stuff, and, halve it?

Or they could lose bonus spells, and, gain 'granted spells?'

Sir Brett Nortj
2019-01-05, 07:28 AM
Seeing as how the spell slots offer too much variety, and, there is a hell of a variety with these three combined...

I was thinking, maybe sorcerer style spells? Less spells, but access to all of them all the time?

noob
2019-01-05, 10:03 AM
Sorcerer spells is the most complex kind of casting.
When you are a prepared caster you can just pick up tons of spells at random and if you miss one then you can buy it later(captain wizard was a wizard picking spells at random and did not even try to get extra spells and it ended up being strong)
Then afterwards you can prepare 15 times the same fighting spell and leave one open slot at each spell level and prepare utility spells when needed.
For sorcerer you make choices at each level and those choices condemn you for an entire level and since you have few spells you have a high risk picking only the wrong ones.
If you want a simple casting I suggest dread necromancer casting or beguiler casting.

khadgar567
2019-01-05, 10:35 AM
Sorcerer spells is the most complex kind of casting.
When you are a prepared caster you can just pick up tons of spells at random and if you miss one then you can buy it later(captain wizard was a wizard picking spells at random and did not even try to get extra spells and it ended up being strong)
Then afterwards you can prepare 15 times the same fighting spell and leave one open slot at each spell level and prepare utility spells when needed.
For sorcerer, you make choices at each level and those choices condemn you for an entire level and since you have few spells you have a high risk picking only the wrong ones.
If you want a simple casting I suggest dread necromancer casting or beguiler casting.
well as someone played prepared caster and sorcerer I gladly struggle with sorcerers limited casting then throw 9/10th of my wbl to learn some one time use spell I even don't need until the end of the game. you guys really judge the sorcerer's casting the wrong way. the really limited casting would be god damned wizard who needs to burn a major part of his or her money to scribe a spell just to satisfy his or her superiority complex.

aimlessPolymath
2019-01-05, 02:16 PM
Having a prestige class with this many prerequisites(1 level in each of 4 classes) is a red flag for me.

Your description of the class seems like it's most closely represented as a multiclass Cleric/Druid, so I would suggest starting by focusing it down to that- much like the Omnimage is an Archivist/Wizard.

Sir Brett Nortj
2019-01-05, 05:23 PM
Having a prestige class with this many prerequisites(1 level in each of 4 classes) is a red flag for me.

Your description of the class seems like it's most closely represented as a multiclass Cleric/Druid, so I would suggest starting by focusing it down to that- much like the Omnimage is an Archivist/Wizard.

First of all, it is a paladin ranger druid, with restrictions on spells.

Second, it does not have to have four classes slotted before it 'begins,' it just needs three levels in barbarian.

Third, it the warden gets access to all spells of each paladin, ranger and druid, but works like a psychic warrior too, with d4 hit points from level five / one.

Sorry if I came off rude. I am just trying to do something original, like everyone else.

aimlessPolymath
2019-01-05, 06:42 PM
Ok, I misunderstood the class you were suggesting.

So it's a class that a barbarian might consider taking?
I'm not sure then that you want to have a Paladin spell list attached. A lot of Paladin spells are Lawful or Good related, but barbarians are normally non-lawful, so a lot of their spells won't make sense- to say nothing of the case where this is taken by an evil character.

Sir Brett Nortj
2019-01-05, 08:00 PM
Ok, I misunderstood the class you were suggesting.

So it's a class that a barbarian might consider taking?
I'm not sure then that you want to have a Paladin spell list attached. A lot of Paladin spells are Lawful or Good related, but barbarians are normally non-lawful, so a lot of their spells won't make sense- to say nothing of the case where this is taken by an evil character.

Okay...

Well, the thing is the barbarian is wild, until touched by nature and law. Then, he embraces the laws of nature, and, protects it. :smallsmile: