PDA

View Full Version : Optimization (Mystic) Support Avatar help

BigYote
2019-01-05, 07:28 AM
Howdy all. I've recently taken a shine to the mystic class in a west marches discord server. However by mid 5th level I've found myself drifting away from my original ideal of a support focused character, and with one opportunity to easily fix the situation I'd like to make the most of it. I chose Avatar because it made the most sense and spent my level options dropping Avatar disciplines that have since come back around to being more viable now that my psi Limit has increased.

As of today I'm running
Psychic Assault Damage and Ego Whip have proven useful
Psychic Disruption Potent conditions and disadvantage are amazing
Nomadic Step Too many options and I will gain the power of flight at level 6
Precognition Powerful tools for survival and setting up an Alpha Strike
Psionic Restoration Because not every group has a healer
I'm actively looking to swap Nomadic step with Mantle of Command now that I can invoke its higher tier abilities, but I can't shake the feeling that I should be using more of my actual subclass disciplines. So I come to ask. What Avatar disciplines have you found most useful?
Mantle of Command is almost required for the team-buffing it provides
The others (Joy/Fury/Fear/Sourage) suffer a lot from either stepping on somebody's toes or having one broadly useful power amid several extremely situational ones
The Crowns (Despair/Disgust/Rage) strike me as being a little lacking. Fear is a powerful condition as is the ability to actively turn enemies on one another. But conditions have to be measured against the power Mind Storm that imposes disadvantage on all saves until the end of my next turn. Setting others up for an easier debuff is as good or better then doing it myself.

I'm leaning toward picking up things from the Nomad and Awakened trees. Namely Nomadic Chameleon and Psychic inquisition