PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Wings utilization

gamerdad24
2019-01-05, 04:09 PM
Im considering taking the option with a dragonborn of bahamut and utilizing the wings, trying to figure out something in the long run but i would like to somehow use my wings for offense or defense but having difficulty finding something plausible in 3.5 which is the setting for my campaign which is necessary for my dm, first lvl character, barbarian and still considering future options for prestige classes. Hoping to make something in the form of a humanoid fury or rage dragon.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-05, 04:13 PM
Dragonborn get a nice racial bonus to jump, you could put ranks in that skill and take Leap Attack. That'd work pretty for a charging build.

Andezzar
2019-01-05, 05:23 PM
As a medium character you are probably better off, using the wings only to get around. Leap attack is great though and very quickly you will automatically succeed on a 10 ft. jump.

I built a draconic human charger with Barbarian 2/Fighter 2/Warblade 2+ Leap attack (with pounce and wings) was online by level 6 IIRC. By level 12 he can fly all day long and gets nifty maneuvers.

Kayblis
2019-01-05, 07:22 PM
Dungeoncrasher is a Fighter variant from Dungeonscape that crushes people into walls for large amounts of damage(4d6+2*STR by level 2, 8d6+3*STR by level 6). If you come from straight above, you can crush the enemy into the ground. STR Optimization is already on your list anyways, so 2 levels of Fighter for a feat and this variant are a very decent option - or you can go Fighter 6 and have it as your main tactic against anything that doesn't fly. Combine with maneuvers and feats that let you attack and do a bullrush at the same time, and it's all gold with mostly no drawbacks.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-05, 07:33 PM
Dungeoncrasher is a Fighter variant from Dungeonscape that crushes people into walls for large amounts of damage(4d6+2*STR by level 2, 8d6+3*STR by level 6). If you come from straight above, you can crush the enemy into the ground. STR Optimization is already on your list anyways, so 2 levels of Fighter for a feat and this variant are a very decent option - or you can go Fighter 6 and have it as your main tactic against anything that doesn't fly. Combine with maneuvers and feats that let you attack and do a bullrush at the same time, and it's all gold with mostly no drawbacks.

Could you combine that with Battle Jump to deal even more damage?

Kayblis
2019-01-05, 08:21 PM

Sounds like it, and the fact that it counts as a charge gives you the +2 bonus on your Bullrush attempt.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-05, 08:24 PM
Sounds like it, and the fact that it counts as a charge gives you the +2 bonus on your Bullrush attempt.

Sounds like a pretty good combo. :smallsmile:

gamerdad24
2019-01-05, 11:12 PM
Dragonborn get a nice racial bonus to jump, you could put ranks in that skill and take Leap Attack. That'd work pretty for a charging build.

I appreciate the suggestion, i looked up leap attack and it comes up as a 4e power which is unfortunate cause my dm is restricting to everything be within 3.5e only, if anyone else has suggestions that meets that id appreciate it, i will look into something along those lines if i come across anything but i truly do appreciate the help.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-05, 11:18 PM
I appreciate the suggestion, i looked up leap attack and it comes up as a 4e power which is unfortunate cause my dm is restricting to everything be within 3.5e only, if anyone else has suggestions that meets that id appreciate it, i will look into something along those lines if i come across anything but i truly do appreciate the help.

:smallconfused:

Leap Attack is in the Complete Adventurer, it's 3.5.

gamerdad24
2019-01-05, 11:26 PM
:smallconfused:

Leap Attack is in the Complete Adventurer, it's 3.5.

sorry, initial search popped me into a 4e or 5e options only and looked further into another site and found the 3.5, is this mainly a launch into the air with a jump and then utilize the wings to direct a power attack at a enemy with this feat? trying to understand this fully with a complete understanding

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-05, 11:29 PM
sorry, initial search popped me into a 4e or 5e options only and looked further into another site and found the 3.5, is this mainly a launch into the air with a jump and then utilize the wings to direct a power attack at a enemy with this feat? trying to understand this fully with a complete understanding

That's more or less what it is, a souped up Power Attack with a charge.

CactusAir
2019-01-06, 12:18 AM

doesn't battle jump have the prerequisite of Race: Tear ?

Andezzar
2019-01-06, 04:13 AM
That's more or less what it is, a souped up Power Attack with a charge.
Not quite. The souped up power attack comes from Shock Trooper (CW p. 112).

Darrin
2019-01-06, 09:13 AM
doesn't battle jump have the prerequisite of Race: Tear ?

Not exactly. It's a regional feat, so to take it you have to be from that region. Under the 3.0 rules, any character could do this by putting two skill ranks in Knowledge (Local: Taer region). However, in Player's Guide to Faerun, they updated the campaign-specific rules to 3.5, and one of the rules changes got rid of this "2 skill ranks" thing. According to the PGtF, you can only get one regional feat, and it has to be chosen from whatever region your character grew up in.

That being said... the *only* native inhabitants of the Taer region are giant medium-sized murder apes that fly into a homicidal rage if you so even look at them funny. It's conceivable that there are other races that might live in or near the Taer region... Rashemi, for example, are in the neighborhood and get around quite a bit. In Unapproachable East, the entry on the Icerim mountains (page 189) mentions tribes of humans, dwarves, and orcs, so presumably they are either living in the same region as the taers or are close enough to interact with them on a regular basis. Such residents would be aware of taer battle tactics, and might have been taught or adopted them on their own.

There's also the "orphan adopted by a different race" trope that is pervasive throughout fantasy literature.

Something else you might want to be aware of is the Battle Jump feat itself is not written very clearly. There's been some considerable debate over how exactly it works with no general consensus emerging. As an alternative, you might want to look at the Roof-Jumper feat in Cityscape, which does something similar... it's not exactly clearer on how it works, but it's easier to qualify for, as it doesn't have any campaign-specific requirements.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-06, 10:51 AM
Not quite. The souped up power attack comes from Shock Trooper (CW p. 112).

Actually, all Shock Trooper does is apply a penalty to your AC instead of your to hit.

Leap Attack triples your Power Attack damage bonus if you wielding a two handed weapon.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-01-06, 11:10 AM
Warforged lose almost nothing when they go dragonborn (their slam attack and their body armor, the latter of which can be recouped with one of the warforged armor feats, if you really want), so they make fantastic dragonborns. Thing is, they're also immune to fatigue, so they can fly all day long starting at level 1.

3e has Hover (MMI), Wingover (MMI), Improved Maneuverability (Draconomicon), Flyby Attack (MMI), and Great Flyby Attack (Savage Species).

Also, there are feats in Pathfinder that give you extra goodies when you have wings. Perhaps ask your DM if you can make use of them. Powerful Wings (https://www.sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/feats/combat-feats/powerful-wings-combat) and Buffeting Wings (https://www.sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/feats/combat-feats/buffeting-wings-combat). Mmmm. All you can eat wing buffet...

If you had a breath weapon, the Dragonlance Campaign Setting book has Strafing Breath, which is REALLY nice for an AoE attack, especially if you've got some battlefield control effects on it.

Andezzar
2019-01-06, 11:28 AM
Right, but not getting a penalty on the AB makes maximizing the damage bonus much easier.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-06, 11:30 AM
Right, but not getting a penalty on the AB makes maximizing the damage bonus much easier.

To be certain. But I often see people condemn Shock Trooper as horribly broken, when all it does is make Power Attacking on a charge easier to pull off.