PDA

View Full Version : The Heavenly Sword [Artifact]

PhallicWarrior
2007-09-23, 05:45 PM
Whee! My first homebrew! I've been thinking of DMing a game set in the Heavenly Sword universe, so I figured I'd need the stats for the weapon if any of the players decided to get their hands on the cursed sword...

The Heavenly Sword

Long ago, the nomadic tribes of this world were beset by the forces of the Raven King. The vile king drove them into the wilderness and brought them to the brink of defeat. But in the final battle, when it seemed that the Raven King and his army would run them into the ground, the skies split open, and a heavenly warrior emerged. He destroyed the King's armies to a man, and led the final charge to slay the Raven King himself! After the battle, he disappeared, leaving behind only his beautifully crafted sword. It was soon discovered that this "Heavenly Sword" granted unmatched skill in battle and immense fortitude upon it's wielder, and the greatest warriors, tribal leaders and soldiers of the world fought for its powers. No one understands why, some say the blood spilt in it's name angered the gods themselves, but the Sword began to feed upon the blood frenzy of it's masters, and when that was spent, their lives. Thus did the Heavenly Sword defend itself against the follies of Man...

The Heavenly Sword [Major Artifact, Martial Weapon]
Size: Medium
Damage: 1D12 (slightly better than a bastard sword)
Reach: NA/ 10 ft. (See special qualities)
Crit: 19-20
SQ:
+6 enhancement bonus (and thus, Epic vs DR)
Counts as a Monk weapon in all forms.
As a free action, once per round, the Sword's wielder can will it to assume the form of a Spiked Chain. The enhancement bonus still applies.
Counts as Adamantine against DR.
Finally, the Heavenly Sword grants its wielder unmatched battle prowess. In game terms, it gives its wielder 20 levels in Monk, Along with a +2 bonus to Wis. Assign all attribute points to Str, Dex and Wis. (Note that you're free to use a monk fix, rather than the base class, as long as it still grants an AC bonus and Wis to AC.)
This power comes at a cost, however. Every day after the wielder of the Sword uses it in battle for the first time, (s)he must make a Fortitude and Will save at DC 20, increasing by 2 every day. If either save fails, the character takes one point of Con drain, which cannot be recovered by any means short of direct divine intervention. This doesn't affect the character's HP total, although it will affect any HP rolls at later levels. Once the character's Con reaches zero the character dies, as normal.

Questions, comments?

Mr. Moogle
2007-09-23, 06:05 PM
How exactly is it cursed? :smallconfused:

DanielLC
2007-09-23, 08:21 PM
Did you read the last paragraph?

PhallicWarrior
2007-09-23, 08:23 PM
This power comes at a cost, however. Every day after the wielder of the Sword uses it in battle for the first time, (s)he must make a Fortitude and Will save at DC 20, increasing by 2 every day. If either save fails, the character takes one point of Con drain. This doesn't affect the character's HP total, although it will affect any HP rolls at later levels. Once the character's Con reaches zero the character dies, as normal.

The saves get harder by the day, and as soon as you fail either, you take a point of Constitution drain, which makes the Fortitude saves even harder, which makes it even harder to resist taking even more Con drain and so on.

Mr. Moogle
2007-09-23, 08:30 PM
Sorry, i guess i skipped over that. I think that its an awsome item. dont mind my mindless criticism.

Guy_Whozevl
2007-09-23, 09:16 PM
It's a cool weapon and concept, but it seems confusing that it's just a +X sword and not a +X holy, axiomatic, etc. sword. Also, the concept of a spiked chain and a sword are confusing alongside the relation with a monk; monks can't even use those weapons normally. If it was a quarterstaff, nunchaku, or other monk-like weapon (even a short sword), it would make more sense.
Cool backstory though.

PhallicWarrior
2007-09-24, 08:08 AM
I guess I wasn't very clear, it always counts as a Monk weapon, even in spiked chain form. Also, I didn't want to give it any mechanical abilities it didn't have in the game. It never bypassed DR in the game, except by being exceptionally sharp.

Yeril
2007-09-24, 11:47 AM
Bam undead monk pwnage.

Godna
2007-09-24, 06:05 PM
Make it vaporize any undead that tries to wield it

EvilElitest
2007-09-24, 09:20 PM
gaining 20 levels in monk? Damn, that is really good. Just use a con boster before using it each day and your good.
from,
EE

PhallicWarrior
2007-09-24, 09:29 PM
Ah, but what can you do when the con booster doesn't cover it? When your actual Con score is one, and your potion of Bear's Endurance only gets you to five. If it's gone on long enough, the DC for the Fortitude save could be effectively infinite. Restoration could be a problem, but I can fix that.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-09-25, 05:17 PM
Two questions:

1: Does the benefits of this artifact stack with any monk levels the wielder already has?

2: Could this weapon be used as a sort of 'last resort' guardian weapon? By that I mean, do the saves and subsequent Con drain continue even after the sword is put away? If not, then do the saves ever reset to 20?

PhallicWarrior
2007-09-26, 09:59 PM
1: Yes
2: No, once you draw and use the Heavenly Sword in battle, the countdown begins. Your days are numbered.