PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Aethermancer, a base class about summoning a new BFF (PEACH)

Gr7mm Bobb
2019-01-05, 05:48 PM
Ok, another project that has been repeatedly started and abandoned over the previous years. Despite my turbulent interest and amount of free time, it has FINALLY reached the point that I am comfortable with it being viewed and judged by my peers to help it reach the next stage of my design process. I used the early levels of the warlock to regulate the classes advancement and spellcasting. The primary summon is to be the bulk of the classes combat contribution with the auxiliary summoning feature plugging into the (currently one) archetype for flexible options that aren't just handing out power spikes for free. The spell list is designed to be support, control, and defense with few damaging spells sprinkled in (ones with a summoning theme). As with most of my cotent, there are lots of ideas here, not all of them are a perfect fit and it has not been playtested properly. For those that do use this, please let me know how it felt. If it was too powerful, mechanically awkward, or even things you did or didn't like about it thematically.

For those that TL;DR, Please Enjoy And Critique Honestly my class the Aethermancer (https://goo.gl/jYXApK). Comments are enabled. I respond to feedback both here and in the document itself.

PS: Shout out to Grod_the_Giant. The capstone of this class was inspired by his use of the Genesis spell from previous editions. I made modifications of my own to the spell. Just hoping that I didn't step on one of the more prominent homebrewers and forums members doing that though.

Gr7mm Bobb
2019-02-16, 02:00 AM
The Aethermancer is now on version 1.02! With some new bells and whistles thanks to a lot of feedback. The changelog can also be found at the end of the document. As with almost all new material, a lot of the newest changes could use a prying eye and constructive feedback. The "Chimeric Essence" will most likely be the newest add the class to help diversify the possible direction of the class.

1.02: Aethermancers Trick time limit now scales with level. Created spell list for 6th-9th level spells. Created High Magic secrets to gain access to these spells. Adjusted original spell list. Max # of secrets increased to 14. Imp Natural Weapon secret changed to only apply to a single natural attack, removed damage reroll function. Removed Extraordinary Resistance, World Walker; Added secrets: Brightling, Dynamic Chemistry, Extracted Summon, Firewalker, Frostborn, Hat-Trick, Iron Mind, Lightningrod, Necro-Resilient, Replenishing Fortitude, Stalwart Existence; Renamed: Fast to Celerity, Weaponized Aether requires 3rd lvl.

Ninjadeadbeard
2019-02-16, 12:26 PM
Short on timr atm, but I did notice you gave them 1d6 hitpoints and light armor with shields? That’s a weird combo. Might I suggest 1d8 HD and add medium armor?

Gr7mm Bobb
2019-02-16, 05:30 PM
Short on timr atm, but I did notice you gave them 1d6 hitpoints and light armor with shields? That’s a weird combo. Might I suggest 1d8 HD and add medium armor?

The class itself can be surprisingly durable. so the armor and hit die size was on purpose. It's still solidly in the playtesting stage, but I haven't had issues with the hit dice and armor proficiency's just yet. When you get more time, please let me know what you think of the rest of the class.

Amnoriath
2019-02-17, 02:44 PM
I haven't taken a thorough look at it but right away just by looking at the Warlock structure you have way more abilities both in effective invocations and base class features.

Gr7mm Bobb
2019-02-19, 02:05 PM
I haven't taken a thorough look at it but right away just by looking at the Warlock structure you have way more abilities both in effective invocations and base class features.

Good eye, I did model this class off of the Warlocks base class structure, with some minor changes. The class does have more Secrets (invocations) than the Warlock because of these structural changes. The class does not gain any Mystic Arcanum type features as part of the classes base advancement. Instead I opted to have those exist as Secrets (Invocations) called High Magic, ranging from 1 to 4. With this large section of power removed I had room to increase the total number of Secrets and by doing so, increased the overall customization potential of the class without significantly disrupting the balance of power (in theory :smalleek:)

As it stands though, The Aether Stride class feature is on the chopping block due to it creating the ability for the player to cast 2 7th level spell slots at 13th level, which I view as problematic because it is essentially "free power". So with those concerns, I am considering downgrading it to a specialized Secret OR simply cutting it completely and making the spells available on the spell list.

Gr7mm Bobb
2019-02-24, 01:07 PM
Newest update is out, and with it the Chimeric Essence. Its pretty experimental with odd concepts, so I could really use your thoughts on the new content and the class as a whole. What parts of the class did you like, what parts don't you like?

Is there anything that helps the class establish it identity? Is it too complex?
Again thank you for your time and help with this project of mine.

Gr7mm Bobb
2019-03-18, 08:08 PM
Alright newest version of the the Aethermancer (v1.04) has been made and with it some structural overhauls and a 3rd archetype, the Essence of Innovation. Hoping to set up the last of the changes to be structural, clarity, and fine tuning changes for the core document of the class.

Things that I would like to be heavily scrutinized:

ease of play after setup
archetype balance
Secret choices, abilities granted, level acquired, number of choices, etc
Base Spell list, I feel like it may be over-tuned, but and unsure of where atm