PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next [PEACH] Revised Innate Sorcerer (at wills)

superninja109
2019-01-05, 10:00 PM
deleted.....

JNAProductions
2019-01-05, 10:04 PM
So, they eventually get two 9th slots per day, but more importantly, they get Shield at-will at level 5.

There are balance issues with this.

JNAProductions
2019-01-05, 10:30 PM
Oh, wait I messed up the 9th level slots thing. That was unintentional. I'll fix it.

Should I add some sort of qualifier for which spells you can cast at will or just further delay the at will spells. I'm not really sure how to deal with the shield thing. Duration qualifier? Limited spell list?

Actually, how about this: no reaction spells. These are meant to do one-off things that burn through spell slots. If you had them at will, it would dramatically increase the power level because it is no longer a one-off. That's a problem so I guess I'll bar reaction spells. I'm sure there are still things that evade this any suggestions on how to get those to stay in line?

Honestly? I think the Sorcerer is fine as-is, and while an adjustment on the class is fine, I think the way you're going about it is not a good way.

You're basically rewriting the casting system for one class, where everyone else uses it the same way (excepting the Warlock, but even they are far more in tune than this class is).

Basically, I'm stumped when it comes to keeping this general idea and making it better and more balanced. If you can think of anything, I'll be happy to try and help you refine it or gut-check it for balance, but I'm not sure this is gonna work.

Best of luck to you, though!

Sir Brett Nortj
2019-01-05, 10:58 PM
It is cool, IF, you move all the spells down three ranks.

So, at level one, they will have two cantrips and no level one spells, makes it like a crawl to the top, yes?

If you were to ask me, and, i were to answer...

Maybe you should make all spells at will! Starting with two cantrips at level one?

Then,

Psychic warrior spell progression, how about that?

Sir Brett Nortj
2019-01-05, 11:16 PM
I don't think that the power difference should be that vast. Nobody would play this class because the early levels would be terrible. "I'm the spellcaster who has 2 cantrips and nothing more." While agree that I should tone done some of the higher level spell progression, you have to have something in the early levels that makes the class worthwhile.

I was trying to make all spells at-will, but by my math, you would have to wait till at least 5th level before you could get 1st-level spells, and even then there would be issues (ie shield). And it would be no fun in the early levels where you get a fraction of other classes' 1st level power.

By the way, what is psychic warrior progression? Are you talking about psi points and the mystic UA?

The psychic warrior features in third edition, and, gets cleric attacks and gear, cleric hit points and uses rogue attack bonus for psionic powers and levels, instead of normal spell casting features.

theVoidWatches
2019-01-05, 11:25 PM
I would suggest looking to 3.5's warlock. Instead of spells (beyond cantrips) they can have spell-like abilities, broken into tiers - some of them are "cast X spell at will", while others can be "cast X spell once per day/rest". That will let you be selective about which spells are problematic when at will at which ones aren't.

On the other hand, it might be hard to keep the sorcerer flavor at that point.

clash
2019-01-06, 02:27 PM
I really like where this is headed. It reminds me of the 3.5 shadow caster but without some of its issues. One suggestion is to break the spell casting into tiers based on the tiers of play. So at level 5 3rd level and lower spells become 2/ day and at level 11 3rd level and lower become at will and 5th level and lower become 2/day. Something like that would simplify things a bit more