PDA

View Full Version : Building CW's Lucifer in 5e

SociopathFriend
2019-01-06, 01:21 AM
We'll be starting a new campaign soon at level 5 and frankly, I've always had a soft spot for a certain devil. It's going to be Waterdeep then Dungeon of the Mad Mage or however that works so I think we'll have a fairly high level-cap all things concerned.

DM's fine with any published material so no worries on that front.

So help a brother out- how do I make the most bodacious of god's children in 5e? Obviously I can't quite replicate his birth but in terms of getting the idea across- what should I aim for you think?

Zonugal
2019-01-06, 01:34 AM
What about something like a Fallen Aasimar 'College of Glamor' Bard?

Teaguethebean
2019-01-06, 01:35 AM
I suppose the easy ones are
Fallen aasimar Oathbreaker paladin
Teifling(winged or not) Divine soul
Those are probably the most simple recreations perhaps even a sorcadin Fallen aasimar.
Oops I didn't notice CW and just did actually biblical lucifer

Unoriginal
2019-01-06, 05:57 AM
We'll be starting a new campaign soon at level 5 and frankly, I've always had a soft spot for a certain devil. It's going to be Waterdeep then Dungeon of the Mad Mage or however that works so I think we'll have a fairly high level-cap all things concerned.

DM's fine with any published material so no worries on that front.

So help a brother out- how do I make the most bodacious of god's children in 5e? Obviously I can't quite replicate his birth but in terms of getting the idea across- what should I aim for you think?

What are the character's capacities and flavor you want your PC to have, specifically?

EggKookoo
2019-01-06, 07:37 AM
My wife loves this show, so I've picked up some of what he can do. For those who don't watch the show, Lucifer has shown the following abilities.

Bodacious: Lucifer is unnaturally alluring. He likely has a very high Charisma as it is, but I would say most creatures have disadvantage on any saves against him using it. He can probably cast charm at will.

Invulnerability: Lucifer can't be harmed by non-magical weapons. This feature is nullified if Chloe is nearby (the range isn't specified or even probably consistent across episodes). If Lucifer is harmed by mundane weapons in Chloe's presence, he will immediately heal up if she moves beyond whatever the range is. This could be modeled by simple immunity to all damage types, specifying Chloe's "vulnerability" range, and adding that Lucifer recovers all HP instantly when she moves outside it. It's also possible he has resistance to magical weapons (again, sans Chloe) but that kind of thing is never really locked down. I would say so -- he's a fairly high-ranking demon type.

(A few things about this feature. It's the only one that Chloe seems to interfere with. He's used others in her presence, although it's implied she's very resistant to his charm. Also, it's implied that Lucifer also has superhuman strength and speed, but it's typically only displayed when he's also enjoying the benefits of his invulnerability -- i.e. when he's going toe-to-toe with another supernatural creature without Chloe around. It might be that he can basically make his physical attributes whatever he needs them to be whenever he's using it, or he has some reserve of "auto succeed" uses.)

What You Really Want: Lucifer can look into a creature's eyes and demand to know that creature's deepest desire. The creature is compelled to respond, and so far (AFAIK) no one is able to resist it. The subject will blurt out their strongest desire, whether it's normally a secret or not. This could be as impactful as "I want to kill them all!" or as mundane as "I want to wear frilly knickers." This appears to produce the subject's single deepest desire -- repeated use will yield the same results. Maybe this could have a save (with disadvantage) with a very high DC. Or we could say it automatically works once against a given creature.

Devil Face: Lucifer can drop the earthly charm and reveal himself to a creature in all his demonic horror. In the show this has the effect of terrifying the subject, and usually intimidates them into saying or doing anything Lucifer wants in order to get him to stop. It's not clear if there are other effects. It's implied the target isn't merely intimidated but "realizes" Lucifer's true nature as a fallen angel, and the implications of that threaten to come crashing down. Certainly the subject is shaken even after Lucifer drops the effect, although it's not clear how much is retained. I would say this gives Lucifer some kind of super-boost to intimidation, but I'm not sure how to model it.

Flight: During the episodes when he has his wings, of course. Speed isn't really known but I would go with something useful like 60'.

Millstone85
2019-01-06, 07:57 AM
Bodacious: Lucifer is unnaturally alluring. He likely has a very high Charisma as it is, but I would say most creatures have disadvantage on any saves against him using it. He can probably cast charm at will.Thankfully toned down as the show went on. In the pilot, it looks like he is a walking roofie.

Flight: During the episodes when he has his wings, of course. Speed isn't really known but I would go with something useful like 60'.Angel wings also seem to grant teleportation and planeshift.

Zhorn
2019-01-06, 08:39 AM
So we need a charisma dominant build that is highly compelling, uses any excuse to show off his physique, can speak all languages, is proficient with daggers and swords (only weapons I recall ever seeing him use in the show being the flaming sword and Mazikeen's knives), has some way of showing a 'devil face' and has access to wings.

For race I suggest Aasimar (Protector) for the +Cha +Wis, angelic appearance, wings that can pop out and be used to fly, but are put away for convenience, PLUS the light cantrip for RP flavor.

Class levels... hmm
At least 13 monk levels for Tongue of the Sun and Moon (Understand all spoken languages, but does not confer the ability to read then as Luci admits he cannot read every language).
Skills:Using monk as the starting class, we take Insight and Religion.
Monastic Tradition: hmmm... Way of the open hand for Wholeness of Body and Tranquility for added recover and protection. Luci should after all be annoyingly tricky to hurt (which the base monk toolkit seems to help with also). Added benefit that you can dress for style, or go shirtless as needed without worrying about drab armor.
We'll want at least 2 levels in warlock to get eldritch invocations Beguiling Influence, Bewitching Whispers... and lets bump it up to 5 levels in warlock to also grab Mask of Many Faces for that on demand Devil's Face. Pact and Patron I'd say go the standard Hex Blade + Pact of the Blade to align with with the intended flaming sword.
Last two levels... Paladin for Divine Smite, Dueling, Lay on hands (mostly for yourself).

Not an optimal build, but I think it fits the bill as a Lucifer build :smallbiggrin: