PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Summon Guardian Spirit questions

Selion
2019-01-06, 11:20 AM
I read this feat and i found it obscure in some parts:

http://aonprd.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Summon%20Guardian%20Spir it

Prerequisites: Ability to cast summon monster III or summon nature’s ally III.

Benefit: Select one creature that qualifies to be an improved familiar, and apply the guardian spirit template (see below) to it. That creature is added to either your summon monster III or summon nature’s ally III list as a summonable creature. When you summon your guardian spirit, the duration of the spell you use to summon it is 1 minute per level. A guardian spirit is always exactly the same creature, with memory of all the events that occurred while previously summoned; multiple versions of it can’t be summoned. If it’s killed while summoned, it cannot be summoned again for 24 hours.

If you’re capable of casting a higher-level summon monster or summon nature’s ally spell, you can perform a ritual to attune the guardian spirit to a higher-level version of the spell. This also allows you to change any selections made regarding the abilities the creature gains based on the level of spell used to conjure it (see the table on page 27). This ritual takes 24 hours, and once complete it moves the guardian spirit to the higherlevel list of creatures that can be summoned.

While rules about guardian spirit template can be found here: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/guardian-spirit-cr-varies/

Question #1:
Select one creature that qualifies to be an improved familiar, and apply the guardian spirit template (see below) to it
It means i can apply the guardian spirit feat even to creatures that don't qualify for it? Namely, the guardian spirit template can be applied only to fey and outsider, is it possible to apply it to a pseudo dragon? (does the feat override the template restriction?)

Question #2:
The guardian spirit’s Charisma score becomes 18 unless the base creature’s Charisma score was higher. Each of the guardian spirit’s ability scores increases when it’s summoned by higher-level spells, as noted on the Conjured Guardian table above.
Which one comes first? Should i set charisma to 18 and increase it further or should i increase base creature's stats, raising eventually charisma to 18?

Question #3:
If i summon the same creature twice in the same day, do its spell like abilities and its smite threat slots refresh? (the creature is the same, it even keeps memories of previous summoning)

Question #4:
If it’s killed while summoned, it cannot be summoned again for 24 hours.
Wysps are fey creatures which can be used as familiar, so they qualify for the feat. They have this ability:
"As an immediate action, a wysp can kill itself to cause a creature benefiting from its resonance to heal 2 hit points for each of that creature’s HD. If the wysp uses this ability, its death can’t be prevented, and its life can’t be restored by any effect less than true resurrection, miracle, or wish, even if such an effect can normally revive an outsider."
What happens if a wysp suicides this way? Do I summon the same wysp after 24 hours or a new one? (Or i just would have wasted a feat?)

Question #5:
Is there anyway to increase these creatures size? They gain a lot of HDs remaining tiny, it sounds strange.

Florian
2019-01-06, 09:50 PM
#1: Those simply are two different qualifiers. First, the creature must be on the Improved Familiar list, second, it must be Fey or Outsider. In short, every Fey or Outsiders on the Improved Familiar list qualifies, everything else doesn't.

#2: The usual: Set, then raise.

#3: It´s still a summoning sell, not calling (Copy of a creature vs. the real creature), so yes, the abilities reset.

#4: See #3.

#5: A creature must include one or more size increases based on HD in its advancement scheme in the first place. AFAIK, none of the creatures on the Improved Familiar list includes that.

For added fun, use the feat Scouting Summons.

Psyren
2019-01-08, 02:27 AM
Disagree with #3: "Always exactly the same creature" seems intended for any daily abilities to not reset until the following day.

Agree with #4 though - because it's a summon, it's not actually dead.

As for #5, the template seems to be more magic-oriented so size shouldn't really matter.

Selion
2019-01-08, 04:52 PM
Thank you both.
Alas, i wanted to apply this feat to a Nycar in a norse themed adventure, i'll have to ask permission to bend the rules, otherwise i'll reskin a voidworm as a lesser linnorm.
By the way, in response to psyren, to be honest, even if magic oriented, the improvement gives the guardian spirit a lot of hit points, CA and attack bonus, what they really lack is number of attacks.

Zerathize
2019-01-09, 01:55 PM
Just a question. Does the Celestial/Fiendish Template make something an outsider and then available for Guardian Spirit? But then again, none of the normal familiars are really powerful enough even with that.

Florian
2019-01-09, 05:34 PM
Just a question. Does the Celestial/Fiendish Template make something an outsider and then available for Guardian Spirit? But then again, none of the normal familiars are really powerful enough even with that.

You can apply any of the alignment templates to a regular familiar. But yes, that would be a waste.

Zerathize
2019-01-10, 03:18 PM
Highest HD is Hellfire Ignis at 5 HD
Highest CR is Mephit/Hellfire Ignis at CR 3
Most attacks Hellfire Ignis/Gremlin Nuglub/Demon, Quasit/Cat Sith/Archon Harbinger/Agathion, Silvenshee at 3
Shoutout to Sprite and Sprite Luminal for shortbows