PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Ancestral Relic and Epic Relic

Carden-Gix'oth
2019-01-06, 12:14 PM
Hey all, I'm currently in a D&D 3.5e campaign, and I have an Ancestral Relic (and the Feat to go with it). It's a Bastard Sword and currently is worth about 35,000-ish Gp. I'm also level 25 at the moment. I haven't had the downtime in town to upgrade it since level 14. Currently it's an Adamantine Ghost Touch Holy Burst Bastard Sword. Total enhancement bonus of +4, but I want to upgrade it to keep up with the Epic content, so I was wondering, is there an Epic Ancestral Relic feat? I can't seem to find it anywhere I look, and I have over 100 3.5e Rulebooks. (then again, maybe the problem is a needle in a haystack) I have the gold I need, and we're about to have the downtime for me to meditate and sacrifice stuff for it, but I'd like to upgrade it beyond 380,000Gp market value.

tl;dr, I need to know: Is there an Epic Ancestral Relic Feat? And if so, where can I find it?

Bronk
2019-01-06, 12:29 PM
tl;dr, I need to know: Is there an Epic Ancestral Relic Feat? And if so, where can I find it?

No, there isn't. But! Check out the Epic Level Handbook page 46, which, to sum up, says, 'Here's a list of epic feats. It's isn't a restrictive collection... if you can think of it, it can probably become an epic feat.'

You'll have to talk to your DM and ask if you can make an Epic Ancestral Relic feat. You can point to the Epic Leadership feat as an example of an epic feat that continues a non-epic feat... it just continues the same chart, which will be easy to do for the relic feat as well.

Carden-Gix'oth
2019-01-06, 01:09 PM
Thanks Bronk. Yeah, see, the table for the Ancestral Relic isn't linear, so it'll be a bit hard to mock up.

I'm making my Bastard Sword basically a Holy Avenger, but better. Once I get the Epic Relic Feat made and learn it, I'm gonna replace "Holy Burst" with "Holy Power" (Epic Magic Weapon ability) with "Greater Dispel Magic" and better SR than the Holy Avenger. I'm thinking 10 or 12+CL, which is 5-7 more than the Holy Avenger does normally, and I'm gonna have the SR aura extend out to the edge of my Paladin's Aura of Courage, and then take the Extend Aura Feat so my allies gain it within 100ft of me. I'm currently level 25, so 35-37 SR isn't much, but it's better than 0 SR!

Better than Holy Avenger, but not too broken. Not when we're fighting Great Wyrm Shadow Dragons as tests of our strength.

Carden-Gix'oth
2019-01-06, 01:12 PM
Hey, Bronk. While I've got you here, do you remember where the Astral Sand optional Spell Component is? Like, what book it's in? I can't find it.

Bronk
2019-01-06, 03:31 PM
Hey, Bronk. While I've got you here, do you remember where the Astral Sand optional Spell Component is? Like, what book it's in? I can't find it.

Sorry, I looked around but couldn't find it either.

Karl Aegis
2019-01-06, 11:54 PM
Looking at the Magic Item Compendium, a 300,000 gp item is appropriate for a 30th level character. You should be fine with a 380,000 gp limit for at least half a dozen more levels.

zergling.exe
2019-01-07, 12:05 AM
Looking at the Magic Item Compendium, a 300,000 gp item is appropriate for a 30th level character. You should be fine with a 380,000 gp limit for at least half a dozen more levels.

A +6 weapon is 720,000 gp, and +11 worth of abilities is worth 2,420,000 gp. A limit of 380,000 ain't gonna cut it for an epic character. See the ELH for more details on the absurdity of epic pricing.

Karl Aegis
2019-01-07, 02:16 AM
Make sure you're doing your math right on your weapons. An adamantine bastard sword is worth 3335 gold and a +4 weapon is worth 32,000 gold for a total of 35,335 gold. You have a +1 enhancement bonus, +1 from ghost touch, +2 from holy and.... burst is apparently free. I can't find it in the Magic Item Compendium or Dungeon Master's Guide. A total of +4.

An Epic Ancestral Relic would just put your ancestral relic up to half your wealth by level again. A 25th level character has 2,100,000 gold coins to spend. +1 Holy Power weapon, by itself, exceeds half that amount at a whopping 1,620,000 gold coins.

Honestly, moving the cap from 380,000 to just over a million doesn't really change the options available to you. Epic weapons are too expensive to put more than one property on and you run out of flat gold costs to slap on your +10 equivalent weapon before you hit 380,000 gold coins.

Bronk
2019-01-07, 07:42 AM
Thanks Bronk. Yeah, see, the table for the Ancestral Relic isn't linear, so it'll be a bit hard to mock up.

An Epic Ancestral Relic would just put your ancestral relic up to half your wealth by level again. A 25th level character has 2,100,000 gold coins to spend. +1 Holy Power weapon, by itself, exceeds half that amount at a whopping 1,620,000 gold coins.

I'd never noticed that! The table does correspond exactly to half of the expected wealth by level per the DMG table on page 135. If it helps (as in, if your DM approves), you could just use the epic table in the ELH, page 23.

Honestly, moving the cap from 380,000 to just over a million doesn't really change the options available to you. Epic weapons are too expensive to put more than one property on and you run out of flat gold costs to slap on your +10 equivalent weapon before you hit 380,000 gold coins.

I agree that it might work out better in the long run to work up to the +8 holy power ability slowly... especially if your DM is allowing you to swap out enchantments. If you're mostly interested in damage, you could start by adding non-epic abilities for a while, like bane/fiercebane, magebane, maiming, collision, and so on, plus get a full set of greater weapon crystals to switch out as needed.

The 'greater dispelling' ability is nice as it's a flat price.