PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Metal from Hamistagan

TallerSpine
2019-01-06, 12:15 PM
I introduced a version of Hamistagan to my players. Essentially, in the Zoroastrian mythos, it is akin to limbo of the Christian faith. In my world, it is a place of quantum superposition, residing in a state between existing and not existing.

My players took some metal from there. What sort of properties might it confer if it is created into armor.

I was thinking something along the lines of it exists in a superposition of possessing any magical trait and not possessing that trait. Identify cannot reveal its properties. I would need a chart of some sort. Each trait when "observed" in action causes the wave function to collapse and the player rolls on the chart to see if it possesses that special property (or curse). Over time, the armor could pick up special qualities (and/or curses) no one knew it had.

Each special property by itself would be pretty rare. And maybe having a special property affects the chances of it having more. Im really not sure how to make the mechanic work, though.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

TallerSpine
2019-01-09, 12:59 AM
I wound up just winging it. It actually turned out ok. I think it worked better than if I had come up with rules. Because I was deciding between no effect, curse, and benefit for each ability, it actually came together. By the end of the night, the character had a slew of random curses and random benefits (thank goodness for electronic character sheets that allow you to quickly add custom effects). Then, as quickly as it appeared, the armor was destroyed. It worked well. Not perfect, but enjoyable.

Thurbane
2019-01-09, 01:19 AM
Sorry, would have replied earlier if I'd seen this: there are several planar based special metals you could use for inspiration:

Astral Driftmetal
Baatorian Green Steel
Entropium
Gehennan Morguth-Iron
Solanian Truesteel
Ysgardian Heartwire

...you can find more here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?442820-Special-Materials-Index