PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next School of Menagerie, Newt Scamander inspired wizard school. v0.2

TundraBuccaneer
2019-01-06, 06:11 PM
Hi, I'm trying to make a wizard school focused on handling and utilizing magical creatures. This has proven difficult and I would like some advise. I've made 2 lvl2 features and a lvl 6 feature, but still need a lvl 10 and 14 feature.

Here s the link (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJI1dxezV)

Edit: I've added some changes, and added the missing features. I have written a change log at the end of the homebrew for those interested
Edit 2: Added and changed a few more things, including quirks and information about the creature Added and changed a few more things, including quirks and information about the creature

noob
2019-01-07, 05:43 AM
Why a wizard school while wizards in harry potter are more similar to warlocks and sorcerers in dnd?
Is it because of the name?

TundraBuccaneer
2019-01-07, 08:51 AM
The way I see it is that they're initial excess to magic in innate but they still need to learn it, they would be more like dnd wizards that have a talent for the arcane. Most of they're magic isn't derived from the need to do some thing or trying to force the world around them to do something. They still need to learn it like a science, that's what the first part of the story is about. You know its leviosa not leviosa, but it might be just me that thinks sorcerers just jell woosh when casting firebolt

Vogie
2019-01-09, 04:49 PM
I like the concept, but you're too focused on copying Newt to D&D rather than creating a decent subclass.

I'd see a School of Menagerie to also act as a sort of Pokemon-esque class, or played as one of the Crystal Gems from Steven Universe with a collection of "Bubbled" creatures. The School should be more flexible then one thing. In addition, there's a bunch of little editing gags in there. The Bowtruckles' abilities reference Billywigs and a "Bowtruck", the Niffler's abilities reference Xorns, the "Sooping" Evil requires a "Wisdon" check, among others. Also, the Demiguise & Swooping Evil should probably be small - compared to Bowtruckles, which is literally a 5 inch twig.

Here's how I would rework what you've done:

Tools of the Trait
At 2nd level, as an action, you can choose a beast, plant or monstrosity you can see that can see and hear you. If its Intelligence is 4 or higher, the effect fails. Otherwise, it must pass a Wisdom save or be charmed by you. If you or one of your companions harms it. When you successfully charm a target, you can regain the use of this feature after a short or long rest, and you must finish a long rest before you can use this spell on the same creature again.
Friends in Low Places
You add the Find Familiar spell to your spellbook if it isn't there already. When you cast Find Familiar, you make can any creature you've charmed with your Tools of the Trait Feature your familiar as long as it's medium or smaller in size. Additionally, these familiars will not be a spirit, but instead retains its own type instead of becoming a fiend, fey, or celestial.
Menagerie
Starting at 6th level, you are now have a number of familiars equal to one third your Wizard level, and can use your Tools of the Trait feature on creatures of intelligence 6 or lower. When you store a familiar in, or recall them from, the pocket dimension, you can only call or store one familiar per action.
Additionally, when you take the Attack action, you can forgo one of your own attacks to allow one of your familiars to make one attack of its own with its reaction.
Symbiotic Relationship
Starting at 10th level, Beasts, plants or monstrosities can understand your speech, and you gain the ability to decipher their noises and motions. Some lack the intelligence to convey or understand sophisticated concepts, but you nonetheless can learn about their experiences, as well as local places and creatures. You gain proficiency in the animal handling skill.
In addition, as an action, you gain the benefits of the special senses of one your familiars for a number of rounds equal to your Intelligence Modifier. You do not lose any senses when activating this ability.
Nature's Resurgence
At level 14, You gain the Conjure Animals, Conjure Woodland Beings and Awaken spells. You always have these spells prepared, and don't count against the number of spells you can prepare each day. In addition, double your proficiency on any checks concerning beasts, plants or monstrosities, and you can use Intelligence instead of Wisdom or Charisma when performing any saving throws caused by a beast, plant or monstrosity.

Basically, instead of trying to create a suitcase, bubbles or pokéballs, I keyed everything off of the Find Familiar spell. PCs can then play it as they like.
I used a combination of Animal Friendship and the Warlock's Chains of Carceri ability to word Tools of the Trait.
Menagerie was a combination of Pact of the Chain & the Moon Druid's Circle Forms ability. Because I spelled out the Tools of the Trait ability, it made it easier to increase the Int of the creatures you're chasing, including your custom Demiguise and Bowtruckle.
Symbiotic relationship is a combination of the Shepherd Druid's Speech of the Woods ability, while amping up the Familiar's keen senses ability. Part of me thinks it may be a bonus action, but who knows.
Nature's Resurgence I actually used your Monster Speech.

TundraBuccaneer
2019-01-10, 02:52 PM
Hi, glad you like it. Thanks for commenting.
Thanks for pointing out a few of my mistakes, that helps cleaning up when I have time.

I do like your version of tools of the trait, I'll look at it for inspiration for my next revised.

Friends in low places Funny thing is I started out with find familiar, although I just added the forms. And I still think Find Familiar is cleaner and easier to use than what I got, also I do like that you can just pick up any old creature you meet and pokeball it.
But there should probably be a CR limit based on lvl on there, right now I have it that most creatures are CR0 (doesn't need to be that low) and add mainly utility giving some more parts to the wizards Swiss army knife. I might change it to something closer to your example but I'm pretty pleased with this feature right now. Especially because of the lack of spell requirement. Making it more like a less combat orientated version of the ranger companion.
I probably should take your example and look at how find familiar is written and based the feature on that. Like how you did with your features.

But getting more interesting abilities than fluff skills and fluff spells is something you right in. The class should get there special feature sooner.

Symbiotic Relationship I really like the wording you used on that ability, if you don't mind I would like to use that when editing.

Nature's Resurgence You I was thinking about adding these spells too, but I din't want to make a conjurer or a wizard/druid. More a biologist wizard in a magic world, that is also why the alchemy was put in (with some advise of someone I got on reddit). However the buff on save from beast, plants, and monstrosities is a really cool idea that makes sense. And also isn't something that any other class I can think off has, So I'll try to put it in since its really good.

Thanks a lot, you gave me a lot to work with. Exited to start again coming weekend. :smallbiggrin:

Vogie
2019-01-11, 09:23 AM
But there should probably be a CR limit based on lvl on there, right now I have it that most creatures are CR0 (doesn't need to be that low) and add mainly utility giving some more parts to the wizards Swiss army knife. I might change it to something closer to your example but I'm pretty pleased with this feature right now. Especially because of the lack of spell requirement. Making it more like a less combat orientated version of the ranger companion.

Ooh, that's a good point. We don't want the Menagerie Wizards actively hunting down the largest, dumbest of creatures to hold onto. You could start with the beastmaster companion limitations (no larger than Medium and that has a challenge rating of 1/4 or lower), then remove those limitations as the Wizard levels up.