PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch glaive + sneak attack?

13_CBS
2007-09-23, 06:22 PM
Ok, back to my to-be warlock...

I plan on nabbing Eldritch glaive from Dragon Magic as one of my invocations. Seems cool, but does the glaive attack stack with sneak attacks?

I also find the prospect of being forced to expend a full round action on just doing a melee attack to be uncomfortable, and since my rogue is a sneak attacking infiltrator, I'm not sure if standing in the front lines with my eldritch glaive is such a feasible idea...

Kaelik
2007-09-23, 06:46 PM
Ok, back to my to-be warlock...

I plan on nabbing Eldritch glaive from Dragon Magic as one of my invocations. Seems cool, but does the glaive attack stack with sneak attacks?

I also find the prospect of being forced to expend a full round action on just doing a melee attack, and since my rogue is a sneak attacking infiltrator, I'm not sure if standing in the front lines with my eldritch glaive is such a feasible idea...

1) Full round action to make multiple melee attacks if you have a high enough BAB. And you get attacks of oppurtunity with it afterward.
2)SA applies to Glaive attacks if and only if sneak attack would apply normally, IE denied Dex or flanking.

Neon Knight
2007-09-23, 08:44 PM
You should be worried about that full round action. The full attack option is quite frankly poor due to the way it limits one's mobility. There are a surprising number of situations where one cannot get off that full attack, and even if you do that usually means you get to take a full attack in return.

So, in my humble opinion, your rogue will go splat if he attempts this tactic against a dedicated melee combatant, and non melee foes will just keep moving to deny you that full round required to unleash your combat potential.

13_CBS
2007-09-23, 09:06 PM
And hideous blow still provokes AoO, doesn't it?

Hmm...maybe I should stick to being a infiltrator warlock...

Kurald Galain
2007-09-24, 02:54 AM
A solution is to take Quicken Spell-like Ability, either on Eldritch Glaive (which allows you to do it twice if you get a full-round action, once if not) or on Flee the Scene to get you into position.

StickMan
2007-09-24, 07:58 AM
A solution is to take Quicken Spell-like Ability, either on Eldritch Glaive (which allows you to do it twice if you get a full-round action, once if not) or on Flee the Scene to get you into position.

That will only allow him to do it 3 times in a day, not exactly a winning melee build.

Kurald Galain
2007-09-24, 08:14 AM
That will only allow him to do it 3 times in a day, not exactly a winning melee build.

True enough, but I'm afraid that if you want a "winning melee build", you shouldn't be playing a warlock to begin with. Anyway, after a single Flee the Scene teleport, you could be in position for multiple rounds of full attacks.

Person_Man
2007-09-24, 09:11 AM
Sneak Attack works on any attack that requires an attack roll, assuming all the other preconditions for Sneak Attack have been met.

I posted (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57352) a new Warlock combo last week that you might be interested in. Basically, Warlocks now get Hide in Plain sight as a Swift Action in exchange for 1 feat from Drow of the Underdark.

So Rogue 1/Warlock 2/Rogue X/PrC Y is now quite a good idea. Go Warlock 4 if you're going to be using UMD heavily. Pick up a level or two of Demonbinder if you want 4 arms for access to Multi-Weapon Fighting. It's a pretty strait forward and effective combo, with offense, defense, and Skills.

Kaelik
2007-09-24, 09:54 AM
Well, you have gone far too long talking about using Eldritch Glaive without someone bringing it up. So I thought I'd give you the link.

Here (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=820872) is a Glaive Lock guide for you. It addresses SA too.