PDA

View Full Version : Guest Gift for Giants

hymer
2019-01-07, 03:34 AM
My players are going to visit a giant, hoping that sacred hospitality will help them keep things peaceful. They will of course be subject to an evil giant's twisted version of hospitality ("Oh, you can draw your own water from my giant-sized well, can't you?"), but that's the fun part.

I would like to get the playground's ideas on what would be good gifts to bring to a giant. The PCs will need to journey quite a way, so the lighter the better. The giant lives alone on an island in a lake, and is rumoured to have a fabulous, magical apple tree, if that makes any difference.

Incorrect
2019-01-07, 05:14 AM
A playground! :smallbiggrin:

Im thinking, what do we want as small as possible?
Maybe a ring, jewlery or art where fine detail is valued. Humans can make much smaller items and details.

ZamielVanWeber
2019-01-07, 05:53 AM
Do you have what the general laws and their guarantor is? That would help thematically link the gifts, since they could use them to subtly hint they are the one who ensures them.

hymer
2019-01-07, 07:31 AM
Maybe a ring, jewlery or art where fine detail is valued. Humans can make much smaller items and details.
This makes a lot of sense. :smallsmile:

Do you have what the general laws and their guarantor is? That would help thematically link the gifts, since they could use them to subtly hint they are the one who ensures them.
Good question!
There is no one guarantor. Stories tell that the gods or powerful mortals sometimes walk in humble guise, and they would take vengeance on or withhold reward for anyone who failed to be suitably hospitable. And there are also many stories about how sacred hospitality helped save the day in one way or another. One family was exempt when the armies tore the city down, because they had observed the rites, and a mighty hero in dire straits was able to recover and later win a great fight, to the benefit of the benefactors.

Knaight
2019-01-07, 07:41 AM
I'm thinking a drinking horn. They're generally made of pretty low density materials, are hollow for obvious reasons, and can easily come with something to hang them on which doubles as a carrying strap while getting it to the giants. You can decorate it pretty dramatically, and just having a sufficiently massive horn sends some nice messages about the value of not messing with you.

Plus, if that magical apple tree isn't being used by a giant living alone to make booze I'd be surprised.

Eldan
2019-01-07, 07:59 AM
A playground! :smallbiggrin:

That's what I was thinking too. My first thought was something mechanical like a clock, but that's maybe outside the tech level. Maybe some really fine cloth? A human loom would be much finer than anything a giant could come up with. Or a tapestry. Jewelry is an option, but I don't think a cartwheel-sized gold ring would be all that light.

Zhorn
2019-01-07, 08:05 AM
Clocks might be a step too far in complexity, but a music box might be in that perfect level of sufficient complexity and simplicity and also be in that small item crafting niche that giants would treasure since it would be too hard for them to make themselves due to size.

hotflungwok
2019-01-07, 10:47 AM
Heavy War Deodorant?
Adamantium Loofah?
2H Mithril beard comb?
and of course, Lava Soap on a steel chain

Telonius
2019-01-07, 04:10 PM
Intelligent harps, magic beans, and geese that lay golden eggs are traditional.

A magic item that will either turn him small-sized, or make his crops bigger.

TerryHerc
2019-01-07, 07:52 PM
If the characters had access to a sentient magical item, that might be something the giant would enjoy. If they live alone on the island on the lake, the giant could want for company more than anything.

Along the same lines, the characters could deliver some sort of magical communication device so the giant can stay connected to friends and family. This has the added bonus of potentially backfiring if the giant doesn't decide to keep the peace, and uses it to make arrangements with the character's enemies.

Jay R
2019-01-07, 10:00 PM
A fluffy pet ogre.

"I will name him George, and I will hug him and pet him and squeeze him (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Kwcs8BOE0)."

Slipperychicken
2019-01-07, 11:37 PM
A sword just large enough to serve as a toothpick for the giant. For when he wants to clean his teeth in style.

A finely-made apple grinder/crusher, with which to make delicious apple cider. Bonus points if you get to drink some of it.

LibraryOgre
2019-01-08, 11:18 AM
A cow. A gift of food is always appreciated.

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Ffc06.deviantart.net%2Ffs70%2Fi%2F2 013%2F190%2Fc%2F4%2Fpainted_blue_giant_nordic_cow_ by_034391-d6cs82y.jpg&f=1

Elvensilver
2019-01-08, 03:58 PM
Socks. Since he has oversized feet, he probably can't find any fitting him, and everyone appreciates a useful gift that is handmade. You can't go wrong with the classics!
And while travelling you may use them as sleeping bags.

Incorrect
2019-01-09, 07:57 AM
Socks. Since he has oversized feet, he probably can't find any fitting him, and everyone appreciates a useful gift that is handmade. You can't go wrong with the classics!
And while travelling you may use them as sleeping bags.

Maybe the giant lost one of his gloves and is looking for a replacement. As they travel the party can use the glove as a hut with 5 extra rooms.

Eldan
2019-01-09, 08:09 AM
Hah. That's a lovely idea. Putting tent poles in a glove and then just dividing it into five sleeping quarters.

Edreyn
2019-01-09, 08:13 AM
The giant is evil, isn't he?
A group of ugly\hilarious looking slave performers. And they can walk on their own, so weight doesn't matter.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-01-09, 09:28 AM
I'm personally quite fond of board games, legos, and kitchen gadgets, but I dunno how universal that is among giants :smalltongue:

Tvtyrant
2019-01-09, 01:13 PM
My players are going to visit a giant, hoping that sacred hospitality will help them keep things peaceful. They will of course be subject to an evil giant's twisted version of hospitality ("Oh, you can draw your own water from my giant-sized well, can't you?"), but that's the fun part.

I would like to get the playground's ideas on what would be good gifts to bring to a giant. The PCs will need to journey quite a way, so the lighter the better. The giant lives alone on an island in a lake, and is rumoured to have a fabulous, magical apple tree, if that makes any difference.

A fancy invisible outfit that only a genius can see.

A tigerskin loincloth. So fetching!

A music box small enough it can be placed in the giant's ear. Instant headphones!

Lemmy
2019-01-12, 09:01 AM
Well... Magic items automatically resize themselves to fit the user... So anything magical would be a valuable and easy-to-transport option.

farothel
2019-01-12, 09:54 AM
magical beans to go with the magical apples.

LibraryOgre
2019-01-12, 10:29 AM
Well... Magic items automatically resize themselves to fit the user... So anything mthing would be a valuable and easy-to-transport option.

Depends on the game and edition.