PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Single class Mountain Dwarf Wizard

ZorroGames
2019-01-07, 11:44 AM
The thread where I talked about my story concept M.D. Wizard led to so good ideas/commentary even where I felt people did not initially understand what I was looking to create. I will lay that at my feet and move on to a related subject.

Recently I have only seen one (1) first level Wizard signed up in many weeks at an active multi table AL group.

While I played Mages in 0D&D the last one to achieve level above about 5th was in the 1970s. So let up design a Mountain Dwarf (no race changes) single class Wizard for AL gaming, shall we?. Optimization must bow to story/character where they conflict but the background story is not carved in stone (joke intended) at this time.

Speaking of which, here we go. I am thinking a background that plays to an intelligence and wisdom driven personality who chooses to broaden their education by adventuring in the real world. The character has a faith driven belief there is more to reality than the five senses but secretly questions the polytheism of the cultures (Dwarf and others) really is the core to reality (budding monotheist?) hence he did not feel led to being a Cleric. He believes tradition is based on what worked/works for a group but does not push hard on his more nuanced (Neutral/good) view on Law and Chaos. Because it does work for most Dwarf cultures.

Politically, when he considers politics, he considers the possibilities of Meritocracy in theory (the Devil is in the details,) and leans towards a “truly representative” Republic that includes the crafts and laborers voice. He has seen the merits and flawes in Matriarchy.Patriarchy, Monarchy, Plutocracy, and Theocracy from Dwarven history and leans away from those. He hopes to see other forms in action in the world to learn from observation rather than just tradition/writings.

Actual background is still malleable and I am considering Noble for History and Persuasion, Sage for Arcana and History, or Acolyte for Religion and Insight.

Wizards have two of Arcana, History, Insight, Investigation, Medicine, and Religion to fill out his skills and there is always the customizable background route.

Being a Mountain Dwarf gives him proficiency in light and Medium Armor, Battle Axe, Hand Axe, War Hammer, and Light Hammer. Depending on how the GP accumulation in AL progresses I would start with Leather or Studded than, as money allows upgrade (Chain Shirt to Scale to Breast Plate to possibly a Half Plate) Armor over the potential 20 levels.

A Wizard’s proficiency in Intelligence and Wisdom would benefit his WI saves and fit his personality.

Point Buy would most likely be

ST 0+2=10 (and no movement penalty if he had to wear Heavy Armor for some reason such as a disguise but trying to stay away from the other associative penalties that implies)

DE 10=14 for Medium/light armor bonuses in case he has to fight (cornered) and defense in general.

CO 15+2=17 (+1 first ASI)

IN 15 (+1 first ASI) class proficiency yea

WI 10 class proficiency yea!

CH 8 “I am here to learn, not teach,” instead of shyness or stereotype Grumpy Dwarf.

Debating future ASI/feats like Resilient DE or CO or War Caster after IN 18.

Real Life moment, back soon to finish. 🙄

PLEASE WAIT to respond until until after my next post!

Ganymede
2019-01-07, 12:15 PM
It looks like you followed all the rules correctly. Good job.

Wildarm
2019-01-07, 12:49 PM
If you're planning on taking RE(CON) then you could go for this stat array:

8/13/15/15/12/8

Bump +1 Dex and +1 Int at Level 4. +2 Int at Level 8 and Res(CON) at level 12

Would effectively get you a career bonus of +1 to Wis skills/saves at a cost of the delaying getting 14 Dex and 18 Con by 4 levels. Worth it IMO if you're looking to go long term with the character(Lv12+)

Zanthy1
2019-01-07, 12:50 PM
It looks like you followed all the rules correctly. Good job.

Looks like you didn't :smallwink:

Callak_Remier
2019-01-07, 12:59 PM
I already have a Mountain Dwarf wizard.
For Background i went Clan crafter" jeweler"
I went War Wizard at lvl 2 the extra bonus to initiative really helps.

I feel he lacked options an elf wizard ( one of my other characters) would have had at early lvls makes you feel limited at lvls 1 and 2. But after that you really shine in combat.

Since its AL and you only get 1 other Book Xanathars is your best Option. Since you get the subclass and Additional spells

Ganymede
2019-01-07, 02:03 PM
Looks like you didn't :smallwink:

And now you didn't. We're outlaws!

Azgeroth
2019-01-07, 02:45 PM
I already have a Mountain Dwarf wizard.
For Background i went Clan crafter" jeweler"
I went War Wizard at lvl 2 the extra bonus to initiative really helps.

I feel he lacked options an elf wizard ( one of my other characters) would have had at early lvls makes you feel limited at lvls 1 and 2. But after that you really shine in combat.

Since its AL and you only get 1 other Book Xanathars is your best Option. Since you get the subclass and Additional spells

hey me too! only, i took transmutation instead of war.

for me it was fine, we can argue best optimal wizard, but really its about what you want, thats the best build regardless of stats.

ZorroGames
2019-01-07, 02:48 PM
The thread where I talked about my story concept M.D. Wizard led to so good ideas/commentary even where I felt people did not initially understand what I was looking to create. I will lay that at my feet and move on to a related subject.

Recently I have only seen one (1) first level Wizard signed up in many weeks at an active multi table AL group.

While I played Mages in 0D&D the last one to achieve level above about 5th was in the 1970s. So let up design a Mountain Dwarf (no race changes) single class Wizard for AL gaming, shall we?. Optimization must bow to story/character where they conflict but the background story is not carved in stone (joke intended) at this time.

Speaking of which, here we go. I am thinking a background that plays to an intelligence and wisdom driven personality who chooses to broaden their education by adventuring in the real world. The character has a faith driven belief there is more to reality than the five senses but secretly questions the polytheism of the cultures (Dwarf and others) really is the core to reality (budding monotheist?) hence he did not feel led to being a Cleric. He believes tradition is based on what worked/works for a group but does not push hard on his more nuanced (Neutral/good) view on Law and Chaos. Because it does work for most Dwarf cultures.

Politically, when he considers politics, he considers the possibilities of Meritocracy in theory (the Devil is in the details,) and leans towards a “truly representative” Republic that includes the crafts and laborers voice. He has seen the merits and flawes in Matriarchy.Patriarchy, Monarchy, Plutocracy, and Theocracy from Dwarven history and leans away from those. He hopes to see other forms in action in the world to learn from observation rather than just tradition/writings.

Actual background is still malleable and I am considering Noble for History and Persuasion, Sage for Arcana and History, or Acolyte for Religion and Insight.

Wizards have two of Arcana, History, Insight, Investigation, Medicine, and Religion to fill out his skills and there is always the customizable background route.

Being a Mountain Dwarf gives him proficiency in light and Medium Armor, Battle Axe, Hand Axe, War Hammer, and Light Hammer. Depending on how the GP accumulation in AL progresses I would start with Leather or Studded than, as money allows upgrade (Chain Shirt to Scale to Breast Plate to possibly a Half Plate) Armor over the potential 20 levels.

A Wizard’s proficiency in Intelligence and Wisdom would benefit his WI saves and fit his personality.

Point Buy would most likely be

ST 0+2=10 (and no movement penalty if he had to wear Heavy Armor for some reason such as a disguise but trying to stay away from the other associative penalties that implies)

DE 10=14 for Medium/light armor bonuses in case he has to fight (cornered) and defense in general.

CO 15+2=17 (+1 first ASI)

IN 15 (+1 first ASI) class proficiency yea

WI 10 class proficiency yea!

CH 8 “I am here to learn, not teach,” instead of shyness or stereotype Grumpy Dwarf.

Debating future ASI/feats like Resilient DE or CO or War Caster after IN 18.

Real Life moment, back soon to finish. 🙄

PLEASE WAIT to respond until until after my next post!

Back after dealing with some matters.

Where was I?

Oh yeah, looking to mostly make sure this character (suggested by a friend who likes to watch D&D but does not play) makes good use of his Mountain Dwarf traits, class abilities, and background (whichever one ends up being selected.)

This character is basically a rugged (Co) but not particularly strong M. D. With good dexterity who relies on using his Intelligence and Wisdom to drive his adventuring.

Not afraid of melee (I see M.D. characters as having served in a militia enough to have their proficiencies but not enough to have a soldier background,) but not particularly eager to engage in physical combat when spells or other means are available.

I really considered whether the Persuasion aspect of Noble would be worthwhile given the 8 CH but a prociency from the class. History is a skill I highly think appropriate to this character but I can choose it as a class proficiency. Lately Intimidation has been a popular skill pick followed by Deception. Of course as soon as I choose Persuasion it may gain a burst of adherents. 🤔. Thoughts?

Arcana from Sage is expected and probably should be a serious candidate but again I could grab that from a class choice same as Religion (something I think fits from either class or the Acolyte Background) would also fit.

I am leaning Sage for Arcana and History with Religion and Insight from Class though it could be reversed. And there is the question about Persuasion mentioned above. Again, thoughts?

Before anyone asks about “purpose” let me say mechanically this character is a balance of skills, utility, with a good number of combat spells/buffs/debuffs as included. At least one combat focused Cantrip and first level direct combat spell at start with room to expand direct damage and buff/debuff spells over levels.

In Story terms this character would be a young Dwarf’s search to mature both professionally and personally while looking for answers about government/faith/religion/meta-physical matters. Treasure and Monster Slaying is not his primary driving factor.

Hopefully my assisting my wife “take down Christmas” has not made this disjointed. The line, “We are a day late,” seems to imply some tradition her adoptive (Polish) Roman Catholic family taught her that escapes my Presbyterian traditions. It seemed important to her so her so I let it take priority over doing this post at one go. If I missed something that you need to know about where I am going with this design.

Again, as always, optimization that does not affect story will be seriously considered. I am not sure if this is just interest from my friend or if this might be the gateway drug... I mean character... into another D&D player. Heck if I really like it I might add it to my list of “someday soon” characters. I do love my M. D. Characters...

Unoriginal
2019-01-07, 03:33 PM
Well, since you made your second post, a few comments and points:

but secretly questions the polytheism of the cultures (Dwarf and others) really is the core to reality (budding monotheist?)

Well, that's gotta be awkward when he meets Moradin and the rest of the pantheon.

Why is he questioning that? It's a bit puzzling.

hence he did not feel led to being a Cleric.

You don't choose to be a Cleric. It's the god (or pantheon or force) who choose you.

Politically, when he considers politics, he considers the possibilities of Meritocracy in theory (the Devil is in the details,) and leans towards a “truly representative” Republic that includes the crafts and laborers voice.

If you ask a Dwarf how a dwarven city where the voices the crafters and laborers are not heard is called, the Dwarf would probably say it's called "dead" or "empty".

Do your character think the masses are muted and unheard, or...?

He has seen the merits and flawes in Matriarchy.Patriarchy, Monarchy, Plutocracy, and Theocracy from Dwarven history and leans away from those.

How would he have seen that from dwarven history? The Dwarves are strictly meritocratic, they did not have matriarchies, patriarchies or plutocracies, and only have monarchies or theocracies in the sense that the most apt to rule is made king, and sometime the most apt to rule has had training as a priest (but get on the throne independently of the church's hierarchy).

I suppose going for arcane magic is a good idea if you want an outcast from the dwarven society, though.

strangebloke
2019-01-07, 03:38 PM
Huh, okay.

Well, he's a pretty tough, stoic, guy, and he's pretty suited to the frontlines already with his 17 AC and hammer. So lets run with that.

Subclass: Abjurer
Gives you extra HP, makes you resistant to magic at higher levels, and pushes you towards a more melee-oriented, ritual-based character, which I think fits with the idea of this character as a stoic thinking man.

Thematically, the diviner is all about asking questions so perhaps that would be the better choice here.

Good news is, they're both very powerful.

Cantrips: Mold Earth, Firebolt, Prestidigitation, Thunderclap, Mending
Mold Earth is fun thematically. You can use it to carve ritual circles in the ground (no mechanical effect, just cool) and do things like create foxholes and low earthen walls.

Firebolt is just a really solid, useful attack spell.

Prestidigitation is just varied and useful. It lets you keep your gear clean. Any of these last three can be taken in any order.

Thunderclap or Sword Burst are great little AOE spells for when you get swarmed in melee. I'd normally recomend booming blade, but you said that your character doesn't love getting physical.

Mending helps you keep your gear repaired, and makes you a useful person in any community. Seems like the sort of thing that a practical dwarf would consider, given the option.

Background: Sage

Because, come on, he's searching for answers! That's practically a given. If you need different skills, talk to the DM about it.

Skills: Arcana, Religion, History, Insight

From an optimization perspective, there tend to be few INT-focused characters and many CHA focused ones, so I'd actually reccomend you swap out insight for investigation, which is also thematic and is INT focused.

However, I think this works fine as well. Insight is a great skill and fits with him as the discerning sort.

Spells:
I see three core themes as applicable to this character

Control: He's a thinking man, and I can see him focusing on controlling the tide of battle. So hypnotic pattern, sleep, blindness/deafness, etc.

Divination: He's looking for truth. Locate object, Detect Thoughts, and find familiar are pretty handy for that.

Defense: He's a cautious man with some knowledge of military matters. He's not your normal adventurer, hungry for glory, so he takes steps to ensure his own safety. Shield, alarm, absorb elements, protection from 'x', etc.

Trask
2019-01-07, 03:50 PM
Well, since you made your second post, a few comments and points:

Well, that's gotta be awkward when he meets Moradin and the rest of the pantheon.

Why is he questioning that? It's a bit puzzling.

You don't choose to be a Cleric. It's the god (or pantheon or force) who choose you.

If you ask a Dwarf how a dwarven city where the voices the crafters and laborers are not heard is called, the Dwarf would probably say it's called "dead" or "empty".

Do your character think the masses are muted and unheard, or...?

How would he have seen that from dwarven history? The Dwarves are strictly meritocratic, they did not have matriarchies, patriarchies or plutocracies, and only have monarchies or theocracies in the sense that the most apt to rule is made king, and sometime the most apt to rule has had training as a priest (but get on the throne independently of the church's hierarchy).

I suppose going for arcane magic is a good idea if you want an outcast from the dwarven society, though.

How many of these things are Official Canon ™ and how many are your own personal views on Dwarf culture in a fantasy game?

Unoriginal
2019-01-07, 03:57 PM
How many of these things are Official Canon ™ and how many are your own personal views on Dwarf culture in a fantasy game?

All of them are official canon. ZorroGames is playing AL, which means that his character is from the Forgotten Realms. And all points I've raised are from the Mordenkainen's (which cover the Dwarves's society of 5e with the variations from worlds to worlds) or the SCAG (which cover the FR's state of affairs).

Misterwhisper
2019-01-07, 04:02 PM
The problem I have always had with Mountain Dwarves is shields.

They are proficient in medium armor but not shields, so they could take the Heavy Armor feat and wear plate but still can't use a shield, or they would have to take the medium armor feat again just to use shields, or play a class proficient with them but then who cares if you were proficient with medium armor anyway because your class got it.

ZorroGames
2019-01-07, 04:50 PM
I have read parts of Mordekainen (spelling?) but not read it front to back. Given the differences between the Dwarf cities in SCAG I am not So sure they are all cookie cutter copies. Not sure which are “H.D.” and which are “M.D.” right now.

Please provide page references to your comments.

Edit:

Such as page 68 of MToF -

“Leadership and Government

A clan is led by a queen or king who sits at the head of a noble family.”

djreynolds
2019-01-07, 07:28 PM
It was my second 5E pc

I loved it. Honestly my favorite 5E pc.

The tough thing is you will not hit your peak til level 13. It will take 2 ASI and half to get 20.

And my dex was 10. But with Half plate A.C. 15. My strength was 16, but useless as thus was pre scag.

I used abjuration to it's max.

My go to spell was shocking grasp in melee.

I wouldn't say I tanked, rather provided another target. But with mirror image and the shield spell and arcane ward, I rarely failed concentration checks. Even without proficiency in con saves. 16 con.

IMO as a wizard, buffing team members is huge. So mirror image is important because it's no concentration, so you can buff yourself and still cast haste on the barbarian.

We played prince's of the apocalypse, so everything was resistant to elemental damage. So buffing was my specialty.

Have fun

n00b
2019-01-07, 08:00 PM
Hopefully my assisting my wife “take down Christmas” has not made this disjointed. The line, “We are a day late,” seems to imply some tradition her adoptive (Polish) Roman Catholic family taught her that escapes my Presbyterian traditions. It seemed important to her so her so I let it take priority over doing this post at one go. If I missed something that you need to know about where I am going with this design.

January 6th is Epiphany, the last of the 12 Days of Christmas and the day the 3 wise men came. Catholics tend to place a greater emphasis on that than Protestants.

Particle_Man
2019-01-08, 11:12 AM
I went diviner with my mountain dwarf wizard smith. It was fun.

ZorroGames
2019-01-09, 10:06 AM
The problem I have always had with Mountain Dwarves is shields.

They are proficient in medium armor but not shields, so they could take the Heavy Armor feat and wear plate but still can't use a shield, or they would have to take the medium armor feat again just to use shields, or play a class proficient with them but then who cares if you were proficient with medium armor anyway because your class got it.

My guess: Fluff wise, MDs spend their whole life almost exclusively (per MToF) underground. Light/Medium Armor good in tunnels, shields not. I expect warrior specialists (Fighters) use heavy armor. I can see spear/Short Sword/Dagger plus hand Axe makes sense for MD militia. Battle Axe, war hammer, light hammer for throwing all makes sense for traditional stereotype Dwarf underground use.

Anyway that is my guess.

Jophiel
2019-01-09, 10:36 AM
I'm only starting my own AL wizard but, as you probably know since you're playing AL, Season 8 has been accused of being notoriously stingy with the wealth and wizards were complaining about not having enough gold to scribe new spells. I don't know if this will be a problem for you (you can always convert Treasure Points if you're willing to forego magic item rewards) but it might be worth considering if you're going to be both buying armor and doing the wizard thing.

Azgeroth
2019-01-09, 10:49 AM
i would agree diviner sounds like the best arcane tradition for your concept, its also a good tradition for any concept so yeah.

for skills, all the int skills, not just because its your main stat, but it fits the character pursuit of knowledge, especially History, Religion, Investigation. Nature might not fit with what knowledge your character is looking for, but i am willing to bet he had read more than a few books that didn't give him what he wanted, he has still read them though.

knowledge skills don't need any justification, i'm arguing investigation because what else are you going to roll when trawling through piles of books and notes looking for pertinent information?

strangebloke
2019-01-09, 03:09 PM
My guess: Fluff wise, MDs spend their whole life almost exclusively (per MToF) underground. Light/Medium Armor good in tunnels, shields not. I expect warrior specialists (Fighters) use heavy armor. I can see spear/Short Sword/Dagger plus hand Axe makes sense for MD militia. Battle Axe, war hammer, light hammer for throwing all makes sense for traditional stereotype Dwarf underground use.

Anyway that is my guess.

Easier answer is:

They're strong and cloth is harder to come by and raiding is a serious problem in the underdark, so they all wear chainmail. They don't see it as a thing they've trained in, its just what they wear. It's like if three-piece-suit was a proficiency that mattered, most people on wallstreet would have it.

Shields are warrior's tools, you need to give up a hand to carry one around, and they're harder to use properly than armor is. You don't carry one around unless you need it.

GlenSmash!
2019-01-09, 06:49 PM
Shields are warrior's tools, you need to give up a hand to carry one around, and they're harder to use properly than armor is. You don't carry one around unless you need it.

This is a cool historical point. In the early medieval ages the guy in Maille with a sword in it's scabbard might just be looking to defend himself as he goes about his business.

The guy with a shield is looking for or expecting a fight. You just didn't lug those around on a whim.

*Standard disclaimer that D&D isn't and shouldn't be historically accurate.

ZorroGames
2019-01-14, 05:53 PM
All of them are official canon. ZorroGames is playing AL, which means that his character is from the Forgotten Realms. And all points I've raised are from the Mordenkainen's (which cover the Dwarves's society of 5e with the variations from worlds to worlds) or the SCAG (which cover the FR's state of affairs).

Read MToF and you are twisting what I read. Please actually provide actual page and paragraph references.

ZorroGames
2019-01-15, 10:28 AM
Okay, some fiddling and more details.

Single class War Wizard, Mountain Dwarf, currently second level.

ST 0+2=10
DE 7=14 for Medium Armor bonus
CO 9+2=17 Boost ASI at 4th
IN 9=15 Boost ASI at 4th
WI 2=10 (thank you Saving Throw Proficiency)
CH 0=8 (introverted and learning about non-Mountain Dwarf cultures)

Background Sage (Scribe) - Arcana, History

Class Skills - Religion, Investigation

Subclass - Arcane Deflection, Tactical Wit.

Scale Armor plus DE = 16; HP 16 (6+3; 4+3) when have $ will get Breast Plate for AC 16 without Stealth disadvantage.

Languages - Primordial, UnderCommon, Dwarvish, Common

Dagger, QStaff, Sling plus 40 bullets for those “no other option” moments.

Personality trait - listen to all sides before deciding

Ideals - Beautiful points to Truth

Bonds - Looking for an answer to a certain question

Flaw - easily distracted by promise of information

Initiative +4 from DE and Tactical Wit.

Level 4 will boost IN and CO.

Level 8 boost IN +2 to 18

Level 12, 16, 19 - debating what combination of Alert, Elemental Adept, IN to 20, Mobile, Resilient possibilities, Spell Sniper, or War Caster would work best for this character. Leaning War Caster, IN to 20, and Mobile or Spell Sniper.

AL meets tonight, another chance to develop the character..

Current Cantrips, Firebolt, Mage Hand, Mending.

First level Spells:

Absorb Element (reaction)
Disguise Self
Magic Missile (ranged Attack that hits)
False Life (Temp hps)
Shield (reaction)
Find Familiar (ritual)
Tasha’s Hideous Laughter (concentration)
Comprehend Languages (Ritual)

Possible Second level spells if/when achieve 3rd and 4th level:
Darkness, Dragon Breath (Bonus,) Earth Bind, or Hold Person.

Looking at Level 5/Tier 2 Spells for future. So many choices - Counterspell, Dispelling Magic, Fireball, Fly, Haste, Leomund’s Tiny Hut, Lightning Bolt, Phantom Steed, Slow, Tounges.

ZorroGames
2019-01-16, 11:57 AM
Made 3rd level.

Picked up Shatter and Gust of Wind.