PDA

View Full Version : Great old monsters not yet in the new books

Yora
2019-01-07, 01:15 PM
While there have been over a dozen monster books for D&D over the decades, the creatures in the Monster Manual are all very old. Chuul, grick, girallon, and shield guardian are originally from the third edition monster manual, and as far as I can tell, the nothic is the only creature that first appeared later than that. The rest all goes back to AD&D, most even to first edition, going strong on 40 now. Same situation with Volo's Guide, though I think that one actually has one completely new creature.
And I am fully on board with this selection of monsters because these are good! While I love monster books more than any other RPG books, I fully admit that I virtually never use anything but these old classics.

But with all these classic critters being available in the current monster books, are there any creatures from past editions that you think your campaign still needs?

Mine are actuallly all from the third edition Monsters of Faerun: Beast of Malar, Beast of Xvim, Curst, Fey'ri, and Ghaunadan. In particularly the intelligent ooze that can take humanoid shape is a must to have.

Trustypeaches
2019-01-07, 02:19 PM
I don't know if they're in old books but I need. more. fey.

KorvinStarmast
2019-01-07, 03:19 PM
I don't know if they're in old books but I need. more. fey. Volo's has plenty.

Ninja_Prawn
2019-01-07, 03:39 PM
Volo's has plenty.

None of them are any fun though... :smallsigh:

I often go hunting through old manuals for homebrew inspiration. So far I've re-created the following in 5e - not out of nostalgia, but because they honestly seemed cool:

Shimmerlings
Void Ooze
Urophion
Night Twist
Swarm of Dread Blossoms
Ice Weird
Asura
Elysian Thrush
Assassin Vines
Sylph
Lurking Strangler
Immolith
Bone Ooze
Glitterfire
Chilling Fog
And probably a few more I'm forgetting.

Honest Tiefling
2019-01-07, 03:41 PM

I know Volo's has plenty, but one I really liked was the Ruins Chanter. I hope they bring them back, they were a little odd for fey (as they tended to hang around non-natural areas) but they were an easy way to have a friendly (or not) NPC in ruins with a slightly strange outlook.

Flame Snakes were also pretty nice, and good vault guardians, since they don't need conventional doors. Probably a bit silly to most, but I guess I'm just attached to the idea of using snakes to guard your jewels.

Yora
2019-01-07, 03:41 PM
Night Twists I can fully get behind. Those things are mean.

Also: Canoloth. One of my favorite yugoloths, or fiends in general, because it isn't humanoid.

JackPhoenix
2019-01-07, 04:16 PM
Fey'ri is just elf-based cambion, and for ooze that can turn into humanoid (and can do other nasty stuff), check Oblex from MToF.

Fable Wright
2019-01-07, 04:26 PM
Also: Canoloth. One of my favorite yugoloths, or fiends in general, because it isn't humanoid.

Added in Mordekainan's Tome of Foes.

Also, Volo only got us through CR 7 Fey, and MtF Eladrin are CR 10. Still need an 8 and a 9. :smallsigh:

Beechgnome
2019-01-07, 04:41 PM
I want celestials: archons, guardinals, lillendi, some sort of celestial elf now that Eladrin name is taken, etc etc. And more inevitables to join the Marut.

Re Fey: Ravnica added a CR 9 Conclave dryad and a fey boss (3 dryads sharing a tree) that is CR 18, and yawning portal has Nereid and Siren. But yes... more fey always.

Ninja_Prawn
2019-01-07, 05:39 PM
fey boss (3 dryads sharing a tree)

All I can see is three dolled-up goblins in a wood-effect trenchcoat...

Honest Tiefling
2019-01-07, 06:12 PM
All I can see is three dolled-up goblins in a wood-effect trenchcoat...

Probably better than what I thought. I am pretty sure some trees will start to grow into each other, so a tree with three dryads would be a conjoined dryad. Then I remembered that such a creature would be terrible due to action economy.

Also, are you sure you want dolled up goblins around your players? Just saying that could go poorly...

Ronnocius
2019-01-07, 06:40 PM

As others have said, Volo's Guide to Monsters has quite a few and I believe Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes had the eladrin and shadar kai (not sure if these qualify as fey).

The Tome of Beasts and Creature Codex by Kobold Press also add a lot of fey.

Millstone85
2019-01-07, 06:56 PM
I would like a few more beholder-kin:

Eye of the Deep - For underwater campaigns, but mostly because it looks funny.
Hive Mother - Not to reject Volo's lore on hives made of a beholder and its three to ten Mini-Me, but what about the tyrant of tyrants?
Gibbering Orb - In current lore, I would explain this creature as being both (A) the result of a beholder's dream after it heard a gibbering mouther and (B) the result of a gibbering mouther absorbing the eyes of a beholder.

and Ghaunadan. In particularly the intelligent ooze that can take humanoid shape is a must to have.
for ooze that can turn into humanoid (and can do other nasty stuff), check Oblex from MToF.Only ooze-like, but I would also mention the impersonator from 4e. It is a full-grown mimic.

stoutstien
2019-01-07, 07:33 PM
Murska. Simply one of the most wonderful monsters to toss at a party in a million different ways.

The Glyphstone
2019-01-07, 07:35 PM
I'm still waiting for the updated Wolf-In-Sheep's-Clothing.

Daithi
2019-01-07, 07:43 PM
I'd like to see a neutral aligned Patron (Raven Queen?) for warlocks and a corresponding neutral special familiar -- whatever it happens to be.

I'd also like to see neutral dragons (gem based?).

Son of A Lich!
2019-01-07, 07:54 PM
New or old, I don't think we've gotten a "Dungeon in a Race" set yet. (I'm sure there is a name for them in the Layout Guide, but it's a trend I've noticed through 3.5)

What I mean is things like Formians, the Ant people of the Lawful planes. Where they have little things that can fill in gaps and are great at support, bigger things that hit hard and can mix up combat tactics, Bigger big things that can be a small encounter by themselves, Mastermind big things, and the Biggest of Things that would have layer actions/Legendary actions.

The closest we have is Blightlings, and that... that is just not going to work, m'thinks.

Oh, and Devils, Demons, Giants and Angels, but y'know. I mean something new and not universal to each edition (Darn it all to Tot, this also includes Undead, naturally).

I'd like to see an Aberrant translation for the "Dungeon in a Race" concept.

Oh, and Templates! I miss templates so Much!

Trustypeaches
2019-01-08, 12:50 AM
Volo's has plenty.iirc Volo’s just gives us more hags

Which is great, I love hags, but there is so much more to the Feywild. I’d love to see a rundown of the big Feywild entities like Titania, Oberon, Queen it Air and Darkness similar to the demon prince segment of MToF.

guachi
2019-01-08, 12:54 AM
Living Statue. Going on 40 years old at this point. I'd like to see a 5e version.

Ninja_Prawn
2019-01-08, 05:30 AM
I'm still waiting for the updated Wolf-In-Sheep's-Clothing.

Oh yeah, that's another one I did a version of. Mostly out of obligation, since it's such a classic. I'm sure wotc will get around to it eventually.

Vogie
2019-01-08, 08:51 AM
Living Statue. Going on 40 years old at this point. I'd like to see a 5e version.

... I'm AFB, but I'm pretty sure there's one in Waterdeep: Dragon Heist.

Beleriphon
2019-01-08, 09:20 AM
... I'm AFB, but I'm pretty sure there's one in Waterdeep: Dragon Heist.

Its the Waterdeep walking statue, a 10 story tall CR18 construct.

Millstone85
2019-01-08, 10:06 AM
iirc Volo’s just gives us more hagsTwo hags, plus the boggle, darkling, korred, meenlock, quickling, redcap, and yeth hound.

Jophiel
2019-01-08, 10:19 AM
There's Fifth Edition Foes (https://froggodgames.com/frogs/product/fifth-edition-foes/) by Frog God which has a lot of authorized conversions of classic critters in case you have a burning need to add an Adherer (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Adherer), Hoar Fox (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoar_fox), Stegocentipede (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stegocentipede), Yellow Musk Creeper (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_musk_creeper), Algoid (https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons/Monsters/Algoid) or Pech (https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Pech) to your game.

("Authorized" meaning they're used with permission, not that WotC has explicitly signed off on the stats)

JNAProductions
2019-01-08, 10:20 AM
Subscribing to this thread in case I need inspiration.

Yora
2019-01-08, 10:50 AM
Something that my underworld absolutely needs is a Darkweaver, which I'll convert directly from the 2nd Edition Planescape version. It's a insectoid creature whose web of darkness tendrils spreads through a whole cave system, making everyone lost and steered into its lair to be eaten.

Smitty Wesson
2019-01-08, 11:22 AM
Clockwork horror, moon dragon, dusk hag, Rakshasa zakya, reth dakala, dabus, piscoloth, daelkyr, kank, and psychic cactus top my own list.

Millstone85
2019-01-08, 12:05 PM
I also want the kaorti and their pets:

Kaorti
Rukanyr
Skybleeder
Kaortic Hulk

Yora
2019-01-08, 12:50 PM
Clockwork horror, moon dragon, dusk hag, Rakshasa zakya, reth dakala, dabus, piscoloth, daelkyr, kank, and psychic cactus top my own list.

Yeah, daelkyr are awesome.

And I just realize, my homebrew setting absolutely needs daelkyr.

And by daelkyr I mean quori. But daelkyr are also cool.

Dr. Cliché
2019-01-08, 01:22 PM
Probably a silly request, but I always had a soft spot for Wolfweres.

Ninja_Prawn
2019-01-08, 01:56 PM
Probably a silly request, but I always had a soft spot for Wolfweres.

To be fair, 5e has jackalweres. You could extrapolate from that...

Ganymede
2019-01-08, 02:26 PM
I really want my 3rd Edition Yrthak back.

Ventruenox
2019-01-08, 02:37 PM
Suel Lich, or some equivalent.

Unoriginal
2019-01-08, 02:40 PM
I wonder if we'll ever see the Athach again. Always had a soft spot for the 3.X version, gods know why, even if I've never actually seen a DM use them.

MaxWilson
2019-01-08, 03:34 PM
New or old, I don't think we've gotten a "Dungeon in a Race" set yet. (I'm sure there is a name for them in the Layout Guide, but it's a trend I've noticed through 3.5)

What I mean is things like Formians, the Ant people of the Lawful planes. Where they have little things that can fill in gaps and are great at support, bigger things that hit hard and can mix up combat tactics, Bigger big things that can be a small encounter by themselves, Mastermind big things, and the Biggest of Things that would have layer actions/Legendary actions.

The closest we have is Blightlings, and that... that is just not going to work, m'thinks.

Oh, and Devils, Demons, Giants and Angels, but y'know. I mean something new and not universal to each edition (Darn it all to Tot, this also includes Undead, naturally).

I'd like to see an Aberrant translation for the "Dungeon in a Race" concept.

Isn't that pretty much what Star Spawns are, from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes? You've got big bruisers, sneaky high-damage buzzsaws, big mind-controlling mages, swarms of little guys that make you more vulnerable to mind control and protect the big guys, and artillery mages that synergize with the big bruisers (basically turning the arty mage psychic attacks into high-damage AoEs).

Millstone85
2019-01-08, 03:50 PM
Isn't that pretty much what Star Spawns are, from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes? You've got big bruisers, sneaky high-damage buzzsaws, big mind-controlling mages, swarms of little guys that make you more vulnerable to mind control and protect the big guys, and artillery mages that synergize with the big bruisers (basically turning the arty mage psychic attacks into high-damage AoEs).In their original fluff, these guys were essentially fighter-mage-thief and level-up made into a race.
The ushemoi are a strange race whose members gain increased strength, speed, or arcane power when exposed to different stimuli. The simplest ushemoi grow tougher and stronger as they take damage in combat. Their bodies undergo a powerful physical change, granting them superior prowess even as their skin toughens to the strength of metal armor. Other ushemoi grow faster in response to injury, their limbs becoming longer and more flexible. The leaders of the ushemoi are powerful spellcasters whose magic increases in potency each time it is used.

Son of A Lich!
2019-01-08, 10:23 PM
Isn't that pretty much what Star Spawns are, from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes? You've got big bruisers, sneaky high-damage buzzsaws, big mind-controlling mages, swarms of little guys that make you more vulnerable to mind control and protect the big guys, and artillery mages that synergize with the big bruisers (basically turning the arty mage psychic attacks into high-damage AoEs).

Mutha-Fluffer, You are correct sir.

Maybe I'm just too pedantic in my specifications for my refined Monster pallet.

Amiel
2019-01-09, 05:06 AM
Oh man, the ethergaunts are freaking awesome and we need to see a resurgence of their ilk. Although to be fair I became enarmored of them due to an awesome piece on their ecology by Mechawalker(?) on one of the old Planescape forums that has since gone defunct.

Otherwise, we needs things like the Murska, their write-up in the Planes of Chaos boxset was fantastic, the brainstealer dragon, the susurrus, the thoon hulk, and the destrachen.

Yora
2019-01-09, 06:59 AM
They have made so many monsters over the decades, but it's so very rarely that one breaks out to become a classic alongside those from the very first release.

Drow, githyanki, aboleths, kuo-toa, and slaads being the big ones. And for some reason people really love ethergaunts, even though to my knowledge they never appeared anywhere outside the 3rd edition Fiend Folio.

Though I think it's quite safe to say that the most impactful monsters have always been those with elaborate backgrounds and the potential to be super villains. Except kuo-toa, who aren't really either.

Jophiel
2019-01-09, 09:42 AM
Though I think it's quite safe to say that the most impactful monsters have always been those with elaborate backgrounds and the potential to be super villains. Except kuo-toa, who aren't really either.
I think that they filled a niche at the time for a low level aquatic humanoid who wasn't just a reskin of a land critter. The whole insane cultist thing was interesting and provided chances for kidnapping and "stop the ritual" adventures. You had Sahuagin but those seemed more suited for actual high seas aquatic adventures instead of watery caves and grottos and most people don't run deep sea style campaigns. Right creature for the right time to fill a spot that needed filling.

In your face, 1st edition Fiend Folio crabman guys!

Porcupinata
2019-01-09, 09:49 AM
I want more outsiders.

I'd love to see the higher level Modrons appear in the next Volo/Mordenkainen style monster book - particularly if it comes with a big lore section about them and the Slaadi.

Same with the lower level Archons. A lore section about the inhabitants of the upper planes would be great too.

Cicciograna
2019-01-09, 09:52 AM
I miss the krenshar. It made as a beautiful pet for low-level bosses, giving the first glimpse of "magical" and "strange" to neophyte adventurers first fending off for theirselves in the world.

MaxWilson
2019-01-09, 11:10 AM
Mutha-Fluffer, You are correct sir.

Maybe I'm just too pedantic in my specifications for my refined Monster pallet.

May I say here, parenthetically, that I wasn't initially impressed with the Star Spawns at all, but as I've thought more about the synergies between the various types I am increasingly impressed. You could have a really fun and scary time fighting an army of Star Spawns: imagine being blinded and restrained by a Larval Mage's plague, with your saves at disadvantage because of a nearby Star Spawn Grue, and you were unable to attack the Larval Mage effectively even before you were blinded and restrained because of the Grue's aura, and now along comes a Mangler to rip your limbs off at advantage (and with extra psychic damage from advantage!) because you're restrained and blinded.

Even just a normal Grue + Mangler combo is a lot nastier than it appears because that DC 10 save is at disadvantage, and if you fail enemies get advantage on attacks against you, enabling the Mangler face-ripping, while the Grues function as effectively extra HP for the manglers because of the difficulty of attacking anything but a Grue. Meanwhile the Mangler hide-in-shadows + nova combination adds dramatic tension because you don't know exactly how many manglers are really in this scenario, and they can afford to bide their time for a round or two waiting to get advantage before they attack.

A hundred or so Star Spawns of various flavors (say 80% Grues) would be an interesting adventure even for a 20th level party.

Millstone85
2019-01-09, 11:50 AM
The new lore of the kolyarut and the marut has really grown on me, and I am curious to see what becomes of other inevitables.

As a reminder, the Kolyarut is now an unique construct, created by Primus and sent to Sigil. There, the Kolyarut creates maruts for people who want a contract on legs that does not take kindly to being breached. No art for the Kolyarut, but maruts now look like monodrones on steroids.

I am especially interested in varakhuts and quaruts. Or maybe we could get stats for the Kolyarut, the Varakhut and the Quarut, each with its own maruts?

Son of A Lich!
2019-01-09, 06:12 PM
They have made so many monsters over the decades, but it's so very rarely that one breaks out to become a classic alongside those from the very first release.

Drow, githyanki, aboleths, kuo-toa, and slaads being the big ones. And for some reason people really love ethergaunts, even though to my knowledge they never appeared anywhere outside the 3rd edition Fiend Folio.

I'm always drawn to Kuo-toa as odd magickers in my campaign settings, but they can't really be used for end game stuff. Not even Cultist god-killing schemes.

Not because they're weak (Goblins do just fine), or because they're underwater (there is a myriad of Underwater evil races, so take your pick) or even because they are redundant (Honestly, if you replaced hobgoblins with orcs in your last campaign, would it make a serious difference?).

Their biggest weakness is that they are so damn alien. I can imagine a party tied up while goblins are feasting and throwing a bit of a party over a successful raid. I can imagine Orcs being upset at a new fort being built in their land under the name of a king they have a beef with. I can imagine Merrow uniting and starting a Pirate trade organization in exchange for safe passage, like an underwater mafia.

I can't imagine any of these things with Kuo-toa.

Accents for a Kuo-toa are hard enough for me to work with. Names, ideals, goals, organizations, trade, etc are just so weird to work with that you want to kinda hide it in the back closet and hope the players don't look to closely. This ends up with them leering closer and closer to the niche of a race of cultists, but then that hat wears out quickly.

So before the Magic Age, Kuo-toa had their own gods and created the foundations of magic... Then the rest of the world over took their progress and they hold on to core principles used in a weird way. They might have magic items for sale, but they almost always come with a bizarre cost and make a weird trade off. Now, don't look any deeper, because there really is a huge back story behind the curtain that you don't want to be bored with, I promise.

Dr. Cliché
2019-01-09, 07:11 PM
To be fair, 5e has jackalweres. You could extrapolate from that...

I could, but then I'd either be palette-swapping the Jackalwere or else homebrewing a wolfwere regardless.

That said, did jackalweres exist in 3.5? If I was going to use the new jackalwere as a guide, t would be useful if I could compare the 3.5 one with the 3.5 wolfweres.

Yora
2019-01-10, 12:51 AM
I think they were in 3rd ed. Fiend Folio.

Tvtyrant
2019-01-10, 01:04 AM
I would like a few more beholder-kin:

Eye of the Deep - For underwater campaigns, but mostly because it looks funny.
Hive Mother - Not to reject Volo's lore on hives made of a beholder and its three to ten Mini-Me, but what about the tyrant of tyrants?
Gibbering Orb - In current lore, I would explain this creature as being both (A) the result of a beholder's dream after it heard a gibbering mouther and (B) the result of a gibbering mouther absorbing the eyes of a beholder.

Only ooze-like, but I would also mention the impersonator from 4e. It is a full-grown mimic.

This abomination gets it! Beholders are great, I never go a campaign without forcing one in. Eye of the Deep is one of my favorite monsters of all time, the only being strong enough to escape my parties mighty nets.

Seriously they had a fixation with nets, and I made the mistake of letting them increase the DC by using better materials/crafting scores. Several bosses died to anti-magic net-> Baseball bat circle. Not the Eye of the Deep, it blinded them and then pulled the net apart before chucking them off a cliff.

I also really want an Elder Evils update. 5E is exactly the game for them, where big creepy things that surround themselves with armies of minor monsters are actually world ending threats.

Amdy_vill
2019-01-10, 08:32 AM
While there have been over a dozen monster books for D&D over the decades, the creatures in the Monster Manual are all very old. Chuul, grick, girallon, and shield guardian are originally from the third edition monster manual, and as far as I can tell, the nothic is the only creature that first appeared later than that. The rest all goes back to AD&D, most even to first edition, going strong on 40 now. Same situation with Volo's Guide, though I think that one actually has one completely new creature.
And I am fully on board with this selection of monsters because these are good! While I love monster books more than any other RPG books, I fully admit that I virtually never use anything but these old classics.

But with all these classic critters being available in the current monster books, are there any creatures from past editions that you think your campaign still needs?

Mine are actuallly all from the third edition Monsters of Faerun: Beast of Malar, Beast of Xvim, Curst, Fey'ri, and Ghaunadan. In particularly the intelligent ooze that can take humanoid shape is a must to have.

I would love to have the rest of the dragons. but there is alot of them. i have a sheet of them and i think there like 180 or so. still i would like to see some or of them added

Dark Schneider
2019-01-10, 10:43 AM
I miss some more detail for some parameters like size. Gargantuan is 20 ft or greater. Well, is not so lacking of importance the fact that you can trap it into a Forcecage or not for simply bypass this data.

NorthernPhoenix
2019-01-11, 03:59 AM
I miss some more detail for some parameters like size. Gargantuan is 20 ft or greater. Well, is not so lacking of importance the fact that you can trap it into a Forcecage or not for simply bypass this data.

I made a thread about this before, but DnD is generally a very bad system for representing combat with hyper-colossal foes, compared to something like a video game. Like, how would you do a fight with the Eos Leviathan (~3500ft) from Final Fantasy in Grid Based Combat...?

Yora
2019-01-11, 05:34 AM
Broodmother Skyfortress has giants so big that every attack automatically hits, but the damage is also insignificant. Those things can't really be fought efficiently with weapons. (Though I don't know how you can fight them instead. Or at all.)

Azgeroth
2019-01-11, 07:16 AM
pink jelly

Unoriginal
2019-01-11, 07:44 AM
Broodmother Skyfortress has giants so big that every attack automatically hits, but the damage is also insignificant. Those things can't really be fought efficiently with weapons. (Though I don't know how you can fight them instead. Or at all.)

I recommend Red Lotus (https://imgur.com/r/DnDGreentext/5plqRTF).

Millstone85
2019-01-11, 08:35 AM
Monsters I want, fourth post.

Fell Taints
Bacterium-like aberrations, size Small, that levitate in utter silence, as if they were not really here. They do psychic damage when they pass through you, and could probably induce Far-Realm-related madness. To my knowledge, they first appeared in Dragon#376.

http://images.shoutwiki.com/syra/thumb/a/ae/Fell_Taint.jpg/320px-Fell_Taint.jpg

Living Spells
There is a living unseen servant in DotMM. Much potential there. Living cloud of daggers, living hand of Bigby, living hunger of Hadar, living phantasm, etc.

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/intermediary/f/72126ae0-466e-4c3c-87bf-ee6663d8d200/d2nce9s-e2305f27-5f28-4b95-b8f5-6641430eb5a0.jpg/v1/fill/w_341,h_250,q_70,strp/smoke_hand_by_codybuddy_d2nce9s-250t.jpg

Eldan
2019-01-11, 08:49 AM
[QUOTE=Yora;23624250]And for some reason people really love ethergaunts, even though to my knowledge they never appeared anywhere outside the 3rd edition Fiend Folio./QUOTE]

That love is based almost entirely on an absolutely awesome fan article that someone posted. It's to be found here:
http://khen-zai.tripod.com/

It made me immediately want to rewrite several of my campaign settings to put Ethergaunts in.

Spriteless
2019-01-12, 10:44 PM
Umm, that demonic porcupine in 3rd edition!

I know, they are Howlers and they are in MtoF, but they are no longer porcupines. I need there to be packs of violent porcupines, big enough that demons make special saddles to ride even though it makes no goddamn sense.:smalltongue:

opticalshadow
2019-01-13, 05:38 AM
I miss the Inevitables. I know they kinda sorda added them into 5e , but like, super retconned and only just barely. i really wish we had the old bunch back.

Yora
2019-01-13, 06:09 AM
Umm, that demonic porcupine in 3rd edition!

I know, they are Howlers and they are in MtoF, but they are no longer porcupines. I need there to be packs of violent porcupines, big enough that demons make special saddles to ride even though it makes no goddamn sense.:smalltongue:

I dialed them down to CR 3, but the 3rd edition version is still much closer to the original than the 5th edition one. The quills are pretty easy, but still not sure how I want to handle the howl.

Millstone85
2019-01-13, 08:16 AM
I miss the Inevitables. I know they kinda sorda added them into 5e , but like, super retconned and only just barely. i really wish we had the old bunch back.Here is how I would do it.
The nigh-unstoppable inevitables serve a singular purpose: they enforce contracts forged in the Hall of Concordance in the city of Sigil. Primus, the leader of the modrons, created maruts and other inevitables to bring order to dealings between planar folk. Many creatures, including yugoloths, will enter into a contract with inevitables if asked.

Since it is "maruts and other inevitables", and there is only one of the Kolyarut, that leaves room for more. It could be said that "planar folk" of particular note, typically gods (who can't enter Sigil but can send representatives), commissioned special inevitables. That would be different from an agreement between two parties, but they are gods or the like.

This could include Shadowfell maruts, which would do the job of the old maruts.

Beechgnome
2019-01-13, 09:58 AM
I dialed them down to CR 3, but the 3rd edition version is still much closer to the original than the 5th edition one. The quills are pretty easy, but still not sure how I want to handle the howl.

Yeah I prefer the old 2e versions too. The old howl caused exhaustion which can be pretty harsh (especially in Pandemonium) so I made it a group effort: that a pack could all howl and cause exhaustion on a fail, but they'd all have to use their action, and it recharged on a 6. I can't recall what number I used to constitute a pack.

Dark Schneider
2019-01-13, 11:39 AM
I made a thread about this before, but DnD is generally a very bad system for representing combat with hyper-colossal foes, compared to something like a video game. Like, how would you do a fight with the Eos Leviathan (~3500ft) from Final Fantasy in Grid Based Combat...?
I suppose in a small grid display with some kind of affordable scale. Then you simply tell players they indicate where are them and mark the place. I.e. a small grid display with 10-feet per square (so players can move 3 squares with their base movement). Exact placement is not so much important in that situation.

opticalshadow
2019-01-13, 02:57 PM
I suppose in a small grid display with some kind of affordable scale. Then you simply tell players they indicate where are them and mark the place. I.e. a small grid display with 10-feet per square (so players can move 3 squares with their base movement). Exact placement is not so much important in that situation.

i prolly wouldnt bother with a grid with a creature that size, it would likely be largely irrelevant, if i did do a grid it would just be the party formation assumeing they were on something akin to a ship

NorthernPhoenix
2019-01-14, 11:41 AM
i prolly wouldnt bother with a grid with a creature that size, it would likely be largely irrelevant, if i did do a grid it would just be the party formation assumeing they were on something akin to a ship

Another thing I'd wonder if attempting to run something like this is ranges. Most abilities have a range of much less than 1000 feet. How do you fight something that "moves" further than that simply by rearing it's head back, never mind actually moving.

It's one thing I've always wished DnD took a crack at, since it's such a staple of epic fantasy in other mediums.