PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer using Font of magic to create slots of a higher level than they know

Malifice
2019-01-08, 12:16 AM
A 6th level sorcerer is only capable of casting 3rd level spells. Yet his Font of Magic class feature lets him burn 6 SP (which he has at this level) to create a 4th level slot.

Ditto a 7th level Sorcerer (who gets 7 SP, and can create a 5th level slot, despite being only able to cast 4th level spells).

Is this intentional? I've always assumed there was a restriction in the class that limits the creation of slots with Font of Magic to no higher than a level you can cast, but that restriction I assumed doesnt seem to exist.

Am I missing something, or can a 6th level sorcerer burn his 6 SP in the morning and create a 4th level slot (that he can then use to upcast one of his 1-3rd level spells he knows)?

DerficusRex
2019-01-08, 12:40 AM
I don't see anything in the text of Font of Magic to say otherwise, and it sounds reasonable. I can't imagine there'd be many cases where you'd find it worthwhile to burn all or nearly all your points for a one level upcast of something.

edit: maybe as an expensive way of affecting multiple targets if you didn't take Twinned Spell? Or having a 5th level slot available for counterspell or dispel. Or (very situationally) Dominate Beast lasts for 10 mins instead of 1 min if you upcast it with a 5th level slot.

BarneyBent
2019-01-08, 12:43 AM
I don't see anything in the text of Font of Magic to say otherwise, and it sounds reasonable. I can't imagine there'd be many cases where you'd find it worthwhile to burn all or nearly all your points for a one level upcast of something.

Divine Soul Spiritual Weapon maybe? Or Sorlock Armour of Agathys?

Arkhios
2019-01-08, 12:52 AM
I'm tempted to proclaim this as "old news", but I won't because it seems this trick is often ignored or merely forgotten by most.
Yes, it's not the most optimal use of your sorcery points, but when needed it's a very powerful advantage that only sorcerers have. Especially due to their very limited allotment of spells known.

Malifice
2019-01-08, 01:28 AM
I gotta say I missed this totally.

Vogie
2019-01-08, 10:15 AM
That's a fairly well known thing that only sorcerers can do. So yeah, there's going to be a window in there where your Fireball will be more powerful than your average wizard's fireball.

You also have the ability to 'crack' upper level spell slots when you're casting lower level spells with them. If you're out of low-level spell slots, you could crack a 4th level slot then reform 2 1st level slots for things like Expeditious Retreat or Comprehend languages. Before people found the coffee shenanigans, that was one of the reasons Warlocks would dip 2 levels in Sorcerer in double-digit-levels - You only have 5th level pact slots, which feel wasted if you use it on something like Shield.