PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Master

Yogibear41
2019-01-08, 05:12 AM
I take levels in the Eldritch Master prestige class from Dragon Magazine #280. I use it to advance another prestige class with standalone arcane casting such as the Ebonmar Infiltrator. If I gain the Spell Boost ability at 3rd level after I already have the ability to cast 4th level spells from my prestige class(the maximum for that class) do I gain a 5th level slot similar to the epic feat improved spell capacity?

Psyren
2019-01-08, 10:10 AM
Don't have the issue you're referencing, but unless something specifically says it lets you go over your maximum (like ISC does) then it doesn't.

Could you quote the Spell Boost ability to be certain?

Yogibear41
2019-01-08, 04:34 PM
Spell Boost: At 3rd, 6th, and 9th level, the eldritch master gains the ability
to cast a spell one level higher than his current highest level spell once per day.
The eldritch master also gains a single spell known for that level if he does not
otherwise know any spells of that level. For example, a 7th-level sorcerer who
gains three levels of eldritch master can cast one 4th-level spell per day, and
he gains a new spell of 4th level that he knows.

A 5th-level sorcerer who gains
three levels of eldritch master gains the ability to cast one additional 3rd-level
spell per day, but gains no additional spells known because he already also
gained +2 3rd-level spells known at that same level.

The class otherwise does not progress casting at all, other than boosting caster level. The class also gives bonus spells known which makes the part about the 5th level sorcerer knowing 3rd level spells make sense, because the class gives 2 bonus 3rd level spells known at level 3.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-08, 04:41 PM
I remember that prestige class, it's really, really weird.

Yogibear41
2019-01-08, 05:36 PM
I remember that prestige class, it's really, really weird.

It is, but if you are using a prestige class that's already reached its max spells per day, it could be pretty niffty.

Still way worse than a wizard/cleric etc. but opens up more options.

Grim Reader
2019-01-10, 03:22 PM
Interesting. I think I've found the last levels to cap of my totally theoretical Changeling Loredrake build:)