PDA

View Full Version : Resistances Stacking?

nickl_2000
2019-01-08, 07:19 AM
I'm looking at making my next character as a Oath of Ancients Paladin. If the character is a tiefling who has fire resistance and the aura at level 7 to resist spells, would they stack and give double resistance or would they still just get normal resistance?

I'm guessing it would be just normal resistance when the fire damage comes from a spell, but I want to make sure as it makes a difference in race of the character.

UnintensifiedFa
2019-01-08, 07:23 AM
Yep, resistances do not stack, if the aura was written as “take half damage from spells” they would, but since it is specifically worded as such.

nickl_2000
2019-01-08, 07:28 AM
Yep, resistances do not stack, if the aura was written as “take half damage from spells” they would, but since it is specifically worded as such.

Nope, definitely not half damage.

Aura of Warding
Beginning at 7th level, ancient magic lies so heavily
upon you that it form s an eldritch ward. You and friendly
creatures within 10 feet o f you have resistance to
damage from spells.

Thank you.

Ventruenox
2019-01-08, 10:09 AM
While resistances do not stack, you can certainly stack additional defensive rolls and features. I.E. Mantle of Spell Resistance + Shield Master/Evasion + Fire Resistance. That could allow a build to only take 1/4 damage as a possible outcome of a failed save from a fireball.

Willie the Duck
2019-01-08, 10:51 AM
Plus you can stack bonuses to saves (which a paladin gets, both at level 6 and through spells) with advantage on saves, along with the resistance to damage. Add to that that many-to-most damaging spells and effects are save for half, and you will be looking at some very low damage outputs in total.