PDA

View Full Version : Help me with a stupid magic item

DizzyWood
2019-01-08, 09:36 AM
Ok so I want to add something silly and fun to my game world because its rather dark, scary and depressing. The problem is I have NEVER created something from scratch fr DnD so I though i would ask you fine people for help. I know what I want it to do just not how to list it or balance it.. For reference the party will be starting at lvl 4 or 5.

Crazy Cat Lady Starter Kit

Requires Attunment

Usable 3x per long rest (more? less?)

On your turn you make an attack roll (dex?) by reaching into the back and hurling the content at a foe no more then 15 feet away. If you secede the foe takes 1 d6 damage and looses all movement until the end of your next turn.

The premise is that when you reach into the back you are actually activating a magical portal that leads to that angriest house cat on the planet. Yes specifically whichever cat is in the absolute pissiest mood currently. The cat is incapable of being harmed and returns to its spot or origin at the start of your next turn.

Also I think it should come with a bit of a nerf. I was thinking that every time you use it you suffer a -5 to cha rolls on social checks against anything that has a sense of smell... because it makes you smell like cat pee! lol Obviously only until you take a long rest.

So what do you think? How should I fix it ect?:roach:

nickl_2000
2019-01-08, 10:09 AM
Ok so I want to add something silly and fun to my game world because its rather dark, scary and depressing. The problem is I have NEVER created something from scratch fr DnD so I though i would ask you fine people for help. I know what I want it to do just not how to list it or balance it.. For reference the party will be starting at lvl 4 or 5.

Crazy Cat Lady Starter Kit

Requires Attunment

Usable 3x per long rest (more? less?)

On your turn you make an attack roll (dex?) by reaching into the back and hurling the content at a foe no more then 15 feet away. If you secede the foe takes 1 d6 damage and looses all movement until the end of your next turn.

The premise is that when you reach into the back you are actually activating a magical portal that leads to that angriest house cat on the planet. Yes specifically whichever cat is in the absolute pissiest mood currently. The cat is incapable of being harmed and returns to its spot or origin at the start of your next turn.

Also I think it should come with a bit of a nerf. I was thinking that every time you use it you suffer a -5 to cha rolls on social checks against anything that has a sense of smell... because it makes you smell like cat pee! lol Obviously only until you take a long rest.

So what do you think? How should I fix it ect?:roach:

Okay, so you want this to be silly, fun, and likely to stick around past tier 1, since they will have better options or it will need to grow. This is the best I've got at the moment.

As an action, you may reach into the bag and pull out an illusionary cat and throw it making a ranged attack (15/25) or (10/20). On hit, the cat does 1d6 magical slashing damage. Additionally, after hitting, the cat lands on the ground in front of the creature hissing and spitting at them. While the cat is in front of them, the creature is unable to move due to fear of being harmed by the cat again. They may make an intelligence check on their turn to disbelieve the cat and regain their movement. On the start of your next turn, the cat hisses once more at the creature and runs off the battlefield.

As you gain levels, your ability with illusions gains in power. This items damage die increases at levels 5, 11, and 17.

You may use this ability 5 times per day before the magic of the bag is exhausted. The items recharges after a long rest or at dawn. If you use all 5 charges and illusionary stench sticks to your body giving you a -5 on charisma checks until you take a long rest.

VonKaiserstein
2019-01-08, 12:11 PM
If you want it to be silly, have it trigger on any rolls of 1 for attack rolls and skill checks of the person using it- with utterly random results. Call it- 'The cat's out of the bag!'

Imagine being in intense negotiations, and suddenly a cat claws it way out of your shirt and runs off meowing.

"This is... just a custom of our culture."

Or checking for traps and suddenly an angry cat goes rrowling off down the dungeon. You swing a mighty maul only to find there is a cat clinging to the handle, hissing in your face.

Another idea for it to grow is have the cat linger for a set number of terms before it is bored, scared, or simply vanishes. Allow it to linger and fight for you longer at higher levels.

Wildarm
2019-01-08, 12:26 PM
Sounds like you need a Bag of Phantasmal Cats. Just re-flavor a Wand of Phantasmal Force to only produce the mental illusion of a crazy cat attacking the enemy and stopping them no matter which way they attempt to move.

For flavor I personally like: After the spell ends, the phantasmal cat becomes an illusion that follows you around until the next long rest. They will generally try and annoy you and get your attention the entire time till you feed them with illusionary food or distract them with illusionary toys. You could get up to 7 cats following you using normal 7 charge wand rules.

DizzyWood
2019-01-09, 09:33 AM
Ok guys this is great! I love the random effects idea for critical fails but what about natural 20? Like if you are using the bag and your attack roll is a nat 20 you get a bobcat or a lynx for 2 d6 and it sticks around longer.