PDA

View Full Version : Tortle's Shell Defense and Tunnel Fighter

YeBoi
2019-01-08, 03:37 PM
Tortle's Shell Defense makes it impossible to use actions and reactions, apart from a bonus action to get out.
However, as a bonus action Tunnel Fighter makes it that you can do opportunity attacks without using your reaction.
Does this mean a Tortle could just hide in it's shell and stab anyone who comes close with a spear or something?

nickl_2000
2019-01-08, 03:49 PM
So....
Tunnel Fighter Prep is a bonus action
Tortle Retreat is an action

Technically the Tortle says you can't take a reaction, bonus action, or action. It doesn't say anything about attacking without them, which tunnel fighter allows you do to. So, by RAW by a precise reading of the exact words written in the non-complete and draft ruleset you would be able to take as many AoOs with tunnel fighter as you wanted until the start of your next turn.

However, when it comes to RAI (rules as intended) is clearly intended that when you pull into your shell the only thing you can do come out of your shell as a bonus action. Also, rules as logic and common sense would say that you can't make an opportunity attack while your arms and legs are inside a shell. This is the sort of thing that would cause the DM at my table to throw dice at you for asking...

Ganymede
2019-01-08, 03:52 PM
So, by RAW...

Not quite.

These are playtest rules, so there really is no RAW. There is just a list of peculiarities that should be forwarded along with the appropriate survey.

nickl_2000
2019-01-08, 03:56 PM
Not quite.

These are playtest rules, so there really is no RAW. There is just a list of peculiarities that should be forwarded along with the appropriate survey.

There, fixed it.

AvvyR
2019-01-08, 04:01 PM
This would also imply you could take OAs while incapacitated.

YeBoi
2019-01-08, 04:03 PM
I was looking for a cool use for Tortle's Shell Defense. I guess it's just best to use for defense against ranged enemies, or in combination with a concentration aura spell. Restraining with the grappler feat and then going into shell defense is also something I saw.

YeBoi
2019-01-08, 04:05 PM
This would also imply you could take OAs while incapacitated.

Yeah I guess that makes sense. Would be odd to see someone who is unconscious suddenly swing his sword towards you as you walk away. Unless ofcourse it's a deceiving rogue acting dead.

Chad.e.clark
2019-01-08, 04:06 PM
Also, RAW, Shell Defense is vague as to what 'withdraw into your shell' means. It only says you drop prone, speed is 0, and can't take reactions.

I have a few scenarios I was curious about for Tortles.

1)Can they benefit from wearing a shield (+2 AC) and Shell Defense (+4 AC) at the same time? It does not specifically mention being unable to wield a shield or dropping equipment, only dropping prone.

2)Could a Tortle move around an Invoked Duplicate or Spiritual Weapon using a bonus action while using Shell Defense? Is 'the only action you can take is a bonus action to emerge from your shell' the same as 'you may not take any bonus actions other than to emerge from your shell'?

Edit:
Yep, just checked it in the PHB, bottom of page 189. Mystery solved for #2.

YeBoi
2019-01-08, 04:09 PM
Also, RAW, Shell Defense is vague as to what 'withdraw into your shell' means. It only says you drop prone, speed is 0, and can't take reactions.

I have a few scenarios I was curious about for Tortles.

1)Can they benefit from wearing a shield (+2 AC) and Shell Defense (+4 AC) at the same time? It does not specifically mention being unable to wield a shield or dropping equipment, only dropping prone.

2)Could a Tortle move around an Invoked Duplicate or Spiritual Weapon using a bonus action while using Shell Defense? Is 'the only action you can take is a bonus action to emerge from your shell' the same as 'you may not take any bonus actions other than to emerge from your shell'?

If I am sure there is a rule somewhere that when you can't use actions, you automatically can't use bonus actions. So the best use for Shell Defense is automatic spells such as aura spells or summon spells.

AvvyR
2019-01-08, 04:15 PM
If I am sure there is a rule somewhere that when you can't use actions, you automatically can't use bonus actions. So the best use for Shell Defense is automatic spells such as aura spells or summon spells.

Correct. Bonus actions are still actions, and you can never use a bonus action if you're unable to take actions. This is why incapacitated and similar effects don't say "can't take actions or bonus actions" otherwise your stunned cleric will still be throwing healing words.

YeBoi
2019-01-08, 04:22 PM
So basically Shell Defense, even though it doesn't state it, puts you under the condition Incapacitated. With the exception of being able to get out of it for a bonus action. If it doesn't put you under that condition you could technically pick a smart, strong mount. Take the Mounted Combatant feat. Go into your shell on top of your mount. And whenever your mount gets attacked, you can just let the attack target you instead. Which seems like a possibly pretty powerful but highly illogical tactic.