PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Killer gnome build clarification

Particle_Man
2019-01-08, 09:23 PM
Ok, I get that you start with the gnome illusionist with the first level alternative class feature to get some illusion spells in lower spell slots (like silent image as a cantrip). I get that you take the shadowcraft mage prestige class to be able to turn some figment spells like silent image into shadow spells, able to duplicate evocation and some conjugation spells that are lower level and with ten percent reality per spell level. I get that earth spell can sometimes let you use heighten spell more effectively, treating a spell as one level higher and also increasing your caster level.

But doesn’t earth spell face the restriction that it doesn’t work on spells with the fire, water and air descriptors, and doesn’t that limit the spells that could be duplicated with shadow spells when using the earth spell feat?

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-08, 09:24 PM
Ok, I get that you start with the gnome illusionist with the first level alternative class feature to get some illusion spells in lower spell slots (like silent image as a cantrip). I get that you take the shadowcraft mage prestige class to be able to turn some figment spells like silent image into shadow spells, able to duplicate evocation and some conjugation spells that are lower level and with ten percent reality per spell level. I get that earth spell can sometimes let you use heighten spell more effectively, treating a spell as one level higher and also increasing your caster level.

I believe you also take the Shadowcaster Prestige Class.

But doesn’t earth spell face the restriction that it doesn’t work on spells with the fire, water and air descriptors, and doesn’t that limit the spells that could be duplicated with shadow spells when using the earth spell feat?

As far as I know, shadow spells don't have the descriptors of the spells they're emulating, so you should be good.

Particle_Man
2019-01-08, 09:26 PM
Also what are these stone sandals that people talk about when talking about killer gnomes? Where do they come from?

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-08, 09:31 PM
Also what are these stone sandals that people talk about when talking about killer gnomes? Where do they come from?

The idea is that if you're wearing stone shoes, you're always considered "touching" stone for the purpose of Earth Spell.

Particle_Man
2019-01-08, 09:53 PM
But are these a thing? Who wears stone shoes aside from dead mafioso?

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-08, 09:55 PM
But are these a thing? Who wears stone shoes aside from dead mafioso?

Strictly RAW? Probably not, but I for one think it's hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

flappeercraft
2019-01-08, 11:03 PM
Well just replace the soles of your boots with stone and you are always standing on stone. That's the thing with those. It doesn't have to be a sandal.

Kalkra
2019-01-09, 01:33 AM
Just fill your boots with dirt. Your feet are probably dirty anyway, unless your using Floating Disk, because walking if for people who aren't spellcasters.