PDA

View Full Version : Craft Wondrous Item at level 1.

Yogibear41
2019-01-09, 01:26 AM
I know there are tons of ways to get a caster level of 3 at level 1 to qualify for Craft Wondrous item. But what are some of the best way/least feat intensive ways?

WhamBamSam
2019-01-09, 01:54 AM
A Cleric with the right two domains (say Creation and Craft) can cast appropriate spells at +2 CL.

A Human or Strongheart Halfling Domain Wizard with Spell Thematics has a free feat that can be used for CWI.

I think there are a few races with SLAs that have a minimum CL of 3. I think Lesser Duergar retains at least one, as a LA+0 option off the top of my head.

RoboEmperor
2019-01-09, 02:00 AM
A Cleric with the right two domains (say Creation and Craft) can cast appropriate spells at +2 CL. .

It's +3CL not +2CL, but I highly doubt casting certain spells at a higher caster level = to your character's caster level.

Yogibear41
2019-01-09, 02:30 AM
Being able to cast any spell at a given caster level is generally accepted as a fulfilling a pre-req.

I can't find the exact ruling, but I can point you to a slightly different ruling.

In complete arcane it states that spell like abilities can be used to qualify for feats requiring a specific caster level: Example 3rd level paladin can take craft wondrous item due to a caster level of 3rd on his detect evil SLA, They can also be used for classes requiring a specific spell known such as darkness gained from a drow or tiefling SLA.

If the paladins 1 SLA is enough to qualify him for the feat then being able to cast 1 spell at CL 3rd should also be enough to qualify.

Ruethgar
2019-01-09, 09:59 AM
Awakened Cats, Rats, Monkeys, Toads, and Lizards can all qualify at ECL 1 with Practiced Spellcaster. If you go by RAW Bloodlines, you can take all 74 before you reach ECL 1 and qualify that way. Sculpt Self is cheesy af and can do pretty much anything. Faustian pact or a decent sacrifice could get you the CL in one of several ways. Lucid Dreaming is insanely powerful and can let you switch bodies with something if you cheese it enough. White Dragonspawn Abomination with the Faerunean rules on LA monsters starting at ECL 0 could work and you could buy off the level after you take 2 free Silver Dragon Bloodline levels. Technically all Dragons qualify for the Sovreign Archetypes, though the context heavily implies True only, so DWK Loredrake. Two wishes(Pazuzu or whoever you want to get them from) can change you into and back from being a Spell Weaver, their spellcasting is a Natural ability and thus not lost in the transformation letting you keep CL 3 at ECL 1.

Telonius
2019-01-09, 10:39 AM
Midgard Dwarf gets it natively with no feats, though the LA/RHD is pretty harsh. (You can level drain the RHD away if you don't mind horrendous cheese, but you're stuck with the +4 LA unless you can buy it off).

PrismCat21
2019-01-09, 10:27 PM
Being able to cast any spell at a given caster level is generally accepted as a fulfilling a pre-req.

Being 'generally accepted' sure sounds like a houserule to me...

In complete arcane it states that spell like abilities can be used to qualify for feats requiring a specific caster level: Example 3rd level paladin can take craft wondrous item due to a caster level of 3rd on his detect evil SLA, They can also be used for classes requiring a specific spell known such as darkness gained from a drow or tiefling SLA.

If the paladins 1 SLA is enough to qualify him for the feat then being able to cast 1 spell at CL 3rd should also be enough to qualify.

Spell-like Abilities are not Spells. SLA's working a certain way is not proof, or permission, that Spells will work the same way.

Being able to cast certain spells at a higher caster level is certainly not the same as your caster level being that high.

inuyasha
2019-01-10, 01:56 PM
A Pathfinder Shaman (and maybe a Witch) can get it at level 2 with the Fetish Hex, but I'm not entirely sure if there's a way to get it at level 1 otherwise.

Troacctid
2019-01-10, 02:22 PM
Duergar have enlarge person at CL 3 at 1st level. The savage progression version does it with LA +0.

WhamBamSam
2019-01-10, 03:08 PM
Duergar have enlarge person at CL 3 at 1st level. The savage progression version does it with LA +0.Upon checking, the Lesser variant in PGtF that I mentioned earlier does in fact have CL 3 on its Enlarge Person as well. So that's two flavors of LA+0 Duergar at CL 3.

Deophaun
2019-01-10, 07:02 PM
Being 'generally accepted' sure sounds like a houserule to me...
I don't see why.

caster level: A measure of the power with which a spellcaster casts a spell. Generally, a spell’s caster level is the spellcaster’s class level.
Note the use of the singular: "a spell." This may partially be why it is "generally accepted."