PDA

View Full Version : Domain Wizard

Yogibear41
2019-01-09, 02:48 AM
Does the +1 caster level a domain wizard gets on his spells carry over to spellcasting from other classes?

For example a 3rd level Abjuration Domain Wizard/3rd Level Cleric casts Resist Energy from a 2nd level Cleric slot, does the Cleric cast the spell at caster level 3 or caster level 4 because it was a domain spell for the wizard?

Ashtagon
2019-01-09, 06:20 AM
"A domain wizard casts spells from her chosen domain (regardless of whether the spell was prepared as a domain spell or a normal spell) as a caster one level higher than her normal level. This bonus applies only to the spells listed for the domain, not all spells of the school or subtype whose name matches the domain name."

I can't find anything in the SRD that restricts the caster level bonus in any way; I had been expecting to see something that limited it to either arcane spells only, or to those spells cast using the domain bonus spell slots. But nothing.

Unearthed Arcana (the only WotC book to mention the domain wizard system) specifically notes that the spell could be cast from a regular spell slot and still gain the CL bonus.

So basically, as long as the spell is one of the none from the arcane domain list in question, and it is cast either from a regular spell slot (from any eligible class spell list or slot) or the domain wizard bonus spell slot, you get the +1 CL bonus.

OgresAreCute
2019-01-09, 06:39 AM
"A domain wizard casts spells from her chosen domain (regardless of whether the spell was prepared as a domain spell or a normal spell) as a caster one level higher than her normal level. This bonus applies only to the spells listed for the domain, not all spells of the school or subtype whose name matches the domain name."

I can't find anything in the SRD that restricts the caster level bonus in any way; I had been expecting to see something that limited it to either arcane spells only, or to those spells cast using the domain bonus spell slots. But nothing.

Unearthed Arcana (the only WotC book to mention the domain wizard system) specifically notes that the spell could be cast from a regular spell slot and still gain the CL bonus.

So basically, as long as the spell is one of the none from the arcane domain list in question, and it is cast either from a regular spell slot (from any eligible class spell list or slot) or the domain wizard bonus spell slot, you get the +1 CL bonus.

I think you could make the argument that it only works for prepared spells and not spontaneously cast spells per the "(regardless of whether the spell was prepared as a domain spell or a normal spell)" thing. Maybe. Should work for clerics regardless though.

Ashtagon
2019-01-09, 06:43 AM
I think you could make the argument that it only works for prepared spells and not spontaneously cast spells per the "(regardless of whether the spell was prepared as a domain spell or a normal spell)" thing. Maybe. Should work for clerics regardless though.

Fair point. RAW then is any prepared caster slot, effectively.

I suspect RAI was only meant to cover prepared arcane casters, seeing as how they are called arcane domains.