View Full Version : Player Help How much would this cost?

skunk3
2019-01-09, 05:34 AM
If I wanted to craft Celestial Armor without the 1/day Flight, how much would that cost? My character has natural flight so the 1/day ability is wasted on me. Also, is it made of mithral or can I make it from mithral?

Are there better options for a light armor for a decently high DEX character? I will also need to add other enhancements to it to drop the ASF to 0% because I'm playing a Warlock.

DeTess
2019-01-09, 05:56 AM
If I wanted to craft Celestial Armor without the 1/day Flight, how much would that cost? My character has natural flight so the 1/day ability is wasted on me. Also, is it made of mithral or can I make it from mithral?

Are there better options for a light armor for a decently high DEX character? I will also need to add other enhancements to it to drop the ASF to 0% because I'm playing a Warlock.

Its probably already made from mithral, given that its stats line up with a +3 mithral chain shirt with some more beneficial stuff added, but you could always ask your DM.

Anyway, according to the magic item creation guidelines a 1/day command-word activated item of fly at CL5 costs 5400GP, so theoretically the armor without fly would cost 5400 GP less. However, that's assuming it was made using these guidelines, and not just given a 'this sounds reasonable' price by the designer, so I'd check this with your DM as well.

Edit: I did some math and a +3 mithral feycraft chainmail with 1/day flight would cost about 19,050 GP (ass opposed to the celestial armor's 22,400GP), and is identical to the celestial armor, apart from having a lower max dex bonus (only +4), so if we assume that the higher max dex cap doesn't cost that much it'd be reasonable to reduce the celestial armors price by 5400GP to get a non-flight variant. This'd still very much be a custom magic item, and therefore require DM approval, but the math seems to check out.

Fizban
2019-01-09, 07:26 AM
More cost engineering, eh?

Even if it doesn't say mithril it has the same weight as the given Elven Chain, and as a Specific armor you can only make it the way it is or make up a new item and ask your DM. It's pretty clear to me that Celestial Armor is supposed to be super-mithril, so I wouldn't allow you to "apply" any other material changes.

Subtracting the price of the +3 armor leaves 13,000. Mithril medium armor is 4,000, and daily limit flight items almost all follow the price formula (5,400 1/day as mentioned). The remaining 3,500 or so is pretty dang cheap for an extra +4 max dex. However, the practical value of the extra +4 max dex is questionable, since most characters are unlikely to pass a normal mithril breasplate's +5 cap. Sometimes things are printed with a price based on "normal" characters while leaving them open to being extra valuable to others (and sometimes this is a bad idea because no one else would ever actually use the item, but Celestial Armor can be used by almost all characters).

Personally, I'd want to keep the flavor of the Celestial Armor as something other than the char-op choice for an uber-dex character, and I've never really liked the 1/day flight either since I'd rather get something with more uses. So I'd let you make it with another appropriately themed 3rd level spell, Magic Circle against Evil being the most obvious, but Daylight or Cure Serious would be fine variants.

Nope. Celestial armor has a base of +5 light with +8 max dex, for a total of +13. That's better than any other mithril armor and is only matched by the Millenial Chainmail, which is a Relic copying the same underlying stats (and charging around +3,000 over mithril for it). The next closest is Nightscale, a base armor with +12 total in Underdark, but that requires even more dex to fill out and once again can't be made of any other material (it's special snakeskin).

Warlocks have no ASF in light armor, so you don't need any extra abilities. If you happen to be Chaotic Good and your DM lets you buy relics, then you could just use the cheaper Millenial Chainmail (MiC). Convert to worshipping Corellon and take True Believer and you'd get constant fast healing to boot.