PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Rational Dilemma: Which weapon to use with Ruby of the War Mage?

Arkhios
2019-01-09, 05:34 AM
Our DM decided to give our characters "Christmas Presents" and my 5th level Ancients Paladin received Ruby of the War Mage.

The character in question has the Dual Wielder and Resilient feats, and my weapons are a non-magical Warhammer (self-made weapon with sentimental value) and a Dragon Slayer (longsword).

I can't decide which weapon to choose for the Ruby. If given choice, which one would you choose?

Thanks!

LudicSavant
2019-01-09, 05:42 AM
Our DM decided to give our characters "Christmas Presents" and my 5th level Ancients Paladin received Ruby of the War Mage.

The character in question has the Dual Wielder and Resilient feats, and my weapons are a non-magical Warhammer (self-made weapon with sentimental value) and a Dragon Slayer (longsword).

I can't decide which weapon to choose for the Ruby. If given choice, which one would you choose?

Thanks!

Don't stress out too much about the choice and just put it in either. You can always remove a Ruby of the War Mage as an action and put it in a new weapon.

HoodedHero007
2019-01-09, 07:14 AM
Personally, I'm partial to Swords with Jeweled Hilts &/or Pommels, so I'd recommend the sword (although, if you put it on its pommel, don't try to end your enemies rightly, please). Also, where on the Warhammer would it go, anyway?

Arkhios
2019-01-09, 08:24 AM
Personally, I'm partial to Swords with Jeweled Hilts &/or Pommels, so I'd recommend the sword (although, if you put it on its pommel, don't try to end your enemies rightly, please). Also, where on the Warhammer would it go, anyway?

The business end of the hammer is an abstract wolf's head, teeth bare, and clenched jaws. The Ruby would become one of its eyes (effectively causing the head to appear one-eyed).

The character has a byname "Wolfhammer" because of the hammer, hence the sentimental value.

HoodedHero007
2019-01-09, 10:11 AM
The business end of the hammer is an abstract wolf's head, teeth bare, and clenched jaws. The Ruby would become one of its eyes (effectively causing the head to appear one-eyed).

The character has a byname "Wolfhammer" because of the hammer, hence the sentimental value.
Never mind then. Do that. If you find a Luckstone, then you can make your Hammer have Heterochromia.

Keravath
2019-01-09, 02:55 PM
Why does your paladin even want or need one? (though since it is a gift you might as well put it wherever it looks nicer)

"Etched with eldritch runes, this 1-inch-diameter ruby allows you to use a simple or martial weapon as a spellcasting focus for your spells."

A ruby of the war mage lets you use your weapon as your spell casting focus.

However, for paladins ...

"SPELLCASTING Focus
You can use a holy symbol (found in chapter 5) as a spellcasting focus for your paladin spells."

"A cleric or paladin can use a holy symbol as a spellcasting focus, as described in chapter
10. To use the symbol in this way, the caster must hold it in hand, wear it visibly, or bear it on a shield." PHB 151

You see ... paladins can put their spellcasting focus on their shield or just wear it visibly and then just use it as a spell casting focus. The object is in contact with them, they don't have to touch it though that is always an option. As a result, the ruby of the war mage does little or nothing for a paladin that already wears their symbol around their neck for example or engraved on your shield.

Perhaps if your paladin doesn't have any sort of symbol they would use for their spell casting focus then it is probably useful. However, most paladins would have some symbol they would revere as part of their oath and they can simply wear that or have it on their shield and thus have their spell casting focus for material components always available.

Keep in mind though that having the material component available does not remove the need for the war caster feat if you want to cast a spell with somatic components while holding both a sword and shield.

Tanarii
2019-01-09, 10:16 PM
Why does your paladin even want or need one?Because dual-wielders don't have a free hand to use a focus hanging around their neck. They'd have to put a weapon away.

Problem still exists for V/S spells of course. But S&B Paladins have that same problem, no free hand to use for S components, and they can't use their emblazoned shield in that case.

Arkhios
2019-01-10, 03:11 AM
Why does your paladin even want or need one? (though since it is a gift you might as well put it wherever it looks nicer)

"Etched with eldritch runes, this 1-inch-diameter ruby allows you to use a simple or martial weapon as a spellcasting focus for your spells."

A ruby of the war mage lets you use your weapon as your spell casting focus.

However, for paladins ...

"SPELLCASTING Focus
You can use a holy symbol (found in chapter 5) as a spellcasting focus for your paladin spells."

"A cleric or paladin can use a holy symbol as a spellcasting focus, as described in chapter
10. To use the symbol in this way, the caster must hold it in hand, wear it visibly, or bear it on a shield." PHB 151

You see ... paladins can put their spellcasting focus on their shield or just wear it visibly and then just use it as a spell casting focus. The object is in contact with them, they don't have to touch it though that is always an option. As a result, the ruby of the war mage does little or nothing for a paladin that already wears their symbol around their neck for example or engraved on your shield.

Perhaps if your paladin doesn't have any sort of symbol they would use for their spell casting focus then it is probably useful. However, most paladins would have some symbol they would revere as part of their oath and they can simply wear that or have it on their shield and thus have their spell casting focus for material components always available.

Keep in mind though that having the material component available does not remove the need for the war caster feat if you want to cast a spell with somatic components while holding both a sword and shield.
This:

Because dual-wielders don't have a free hand to use a focus hanging around their neck. They'd have to put a weapon away.

Problem still exists for V/S spells of course. But S&B Paladins have that same problem, no free hand to use for S components, and they can't use their emblazoned shield in that case.

...to add to this, I'm well aware that Paladins have their own spellcasting foci, and that they can use a shield with a holy symbol as one. I made the decision to go Dual Wielder fully aware of all this.

As a bonus point, I've made my DM aware that I will multiclass at some point (either warlock, sorcerer, or wizard) in which case Holy Symbol wouldn't qualify for all of my spells. Ruby of the War Mage does.