PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Made a Goliath Barb/fighter, hows my build?

Kwinza
2019-01-09, 08:09 AM
Hi all :)

Just thought I'd post my build for your thoughts.

Goliath Totem Barb-6 / Fighter-1

HP: 91
AC: 17
Str: 20
Dex: 14
Con: 20
Int: 6
Wis: 11
Cha: 12

Went Bear for both totems and my DM agreed to let me use an oversized maul from the MM so 4d6 + str per hit.
I'm thinking of going Battlemaster at fighter-3.

Any thoughts or fun things you'd add? :)

Azgeroth
2019-01-09, 08:12 AM
is that the build as is? or a planned build?? what did you take for your ASI? what were/are the starting stats??

what background? what skills? are you the front line SMASH KILL RAAAAAAAGGH!!! ??

assuming thats 'as is' looks good to me! taking the 2nd totem option as bear, with the 'large build' feature of goliath must give you a crazy high carry/drag/lift capacity, which is awesome.

aside from the standard, GWM! taking Tough (the extra hp feat, not the HD one). im always for going a bit of theme, ritual caster! wizard is default, but if you take cleric you can perform weddings! :D

i suppose the real question is, what do you want out of the character? where is this going? you mention fighter 3. are you next 2 levels going to be fighter??

i assume with those stats you are unarmoured? do you carry any other weapons aside from the great maul?? javelins, for example?

Kadesh
2019-01-09, 08:14 AM
Are you going Fighter 4 or Barbarian 8 for GWM?

Given you have such a powerful weapon, getting yourself as many additional attacks with it as possible (paying for a Ring of Spell Storing/Pearl of Power for a Caster possibly), so if you go fighter 4, Riposte is pretty legit.

Kwinza
2019-01-09, 08:25 AM
Thats what I'm playing right now.

I'm planing on going Barb 6 / Fighter 14 right now.

My ASI was +2 to con.

I was thinking toughness for my next one to really push my HP into silly levels and yeah my lift if crazy, 1.2 metric tons.

CTurbo
2019-01-09, 08:32 AM
Why go Fighter at all? For Battlemaster goodies? I'd almost rather go Champion for the easier crits which helps Barbs a lot. Battlemaster is still great though. Make sure you get Sentinel at some point.

Why 11 in Wis and not 12? For Res(Wis) later?

Just to throw this out there.... consider putting the 12 in Dex and the 14 in Wis and taking a single level of War Cleric for a few extra bonus action attacks as well as some cantrips and spells that would be really useful to you mainly out of combat. Barbs don't get a lot to do outside of combat. I really like Ritual Caster for that reason.

Azgeroth
2019-01-09, 08:37 AM
in the vein of, 'fun things to add'. get a pet hamster, call him boo.. ask your DM to make him a.. minion?(there was a UA about followers. one of those)

or, you could go for some Int feat, or cha feat, and take a more intellectual, sociable RP role for out of combat..

alternatively, really play up the attachment to nature, and start taking druid levels instead of fighter.. love all of natures creatures.. unless they bite, then they get the hammer.

EDIT : oh okay, so your going for a melee power-house build eh?

in that case, forget the silly funs. your next feat should be GWM, then sentinel, then tough... though you can probably survive just fine without, and maybe get something different like Alert, Lucky, Resilient.

definitely prioritise GWM, sentinel is good, but depending on if you just want to max melee, or add some flavour, you might want to take something other than sentinel or tough at this point.. ritual caster is a strong candidate, inspiring leader isnt as strong at the level you are, but still good. lucky is always good.

Corran
2019-01-09, 08:43 AM
Don't delay barbarian 7 any more. The lvl 7 barbarian feaure is very critical to barbarians. Aim for resilient wis in the future.

Kwinza
2019-01-09, 08:43 AM
love all of natures creatures.. unless they bite, then they get the hammer.

This amused me, well done sir.

For those wondering, the stats were rolled that way and the reason I went fighter is due to my backstory. TL:DR The barb was a savage and his tribe was destroyed by "insert BBEG here" when he was young. He was saved by the partys Paladin who has been a surrogate father/older brother figure ever since and had been trying to teach him to fight with some skill instead of raw power for some time. levels of fighter rather than Pali felt right given the lack of formal training.

Azgeroth
2019-01-09, 08:58 AM
This amused me, well done sir.

thank-you kindly :D

ok, well those fighter levels are going to get you alot of ASI's and given your STR and CON are already 20, ALL THE FEATS!!!!

for combat.
GWM
Sentinel
Tough
Lucky

not for combat.
Alert
Combat Training(? the extra Sup Die one)
Ritual Caster (wizard for utility, cleric/druid for lols)
Resilient (Wis is probably best here)

we could argue about which order to take them in, almost everyone will scream GWM at you for first pick, but your damage is already respectable, so while it is definitely going to increase your damage, you might want something else first. like lucky, or alert, or ritual caster.

food for thought anyways, and as always, have fun!

(but seriously, if your DM lets you have a rodent henchman with levels, that would be super awesome..)