PDA

View Full Version : Advice for scout//ranger ?

Thomix
2007-09-23, 08:53 PM
I'm planing to make a scout//ranger for a upcoming gestalt campaign.

So, I want to know if someone have some advice for feat, variant, or something else that can be useful??

Thx

Guy_Whozevl
2007-09-23, 08:55 PM
How would Swift Hunter work in this situation? Would you get skirmish twice as fast? If so, take it.

Dhavaer
2007-09-23, 09:00 PM
Why Scout//Ranger? Wouldn't, say, Scout//Duskblade be better? Less ability overlap and another good save.

BardicDuelist
2007-09-23, 09:01 PM
I would recomend going scout3/ranger17//druid 20 with swift hunter.

You want a full caster for gestalt. If you don't mind the lower BAB, scout has niftier class features IMO. Your favorite wildshape has pounce.

Nebo_
2007-09-23, 09:07 PM
You won't get much out of that combo in a gestalt game. The classes have too much overlap - use something that fills in the weak points.

TO_Incognito
2007-09-23, 09:10 PM
Yeah; unless mechanical effectiveness is pretty unimportant in your group, I would definitely consider a different gestalt with the same flavor. Scout gestalts pretty well.

Dr. Weasel
2007-09-23, 09:44 PM
A Scout 3/Ranger 17 with Swift Tracker would work nicely with a Psion, specifically one with the Egoist Discipline (Hustle+Skirmish? How could you refuse?). You would have all good saves, full Manifesting (not affected by armor), tolerable hitpoints (you're going to be fighting from a distance anyway) and an expanded skill list. You don't lose much, particularly if you take the CWarrior Spellcasting replacement (it reduces MAD and your Manifesting covers the loss).

Stam
2007-09-23, 09:48 PM
If you'd like that build - which, as many people have pointed out, does not have a great amount of Gestault-overlap given the similarities between the two classes - take the Riposte alternate class feature of the Scout from the Web Enhancement for Cityscape (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a).

Unlike skirmish, it makes it much easier to get multiple skirmish attacks in one round. With TWFing and a full BAB - and, one presumes, a pair of light weapons and Weapon Finesse - that'll be some nifty dice of bonus damage, which is more assured to you than a rogue's Sneak Attack.

Alternatively, take the ranged tree and pick up Greater Manyshot from the Psionics section of the SRD as soon as you can. Move 10', fire off a full rack, and get skirmish bonus to all of them.

Machete
2007-09-24, 01:52 AM
Going Barbarian 1/Scout 19 is effective, especially going Catfolk and with the Quick Trait from Unearthed Arcana. Its not quite cheese but it makes you very hard to touch with spring attack.