PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Need some RP help (Hobgoblin Cleric)

jaappleton
2019-01-09, 09:06 AM
I always enjoy going against the grain when it comes to character builds. I like to pick seldom-used Races whenever I can.

And what’s more seldom used than Hobgoblins? (Probably quite a few, but c’mon, Hobgoblin PCs are a bit rare)

Unfortunately... Not a whole lot of info out there about them and their society.

Typically evil
Militaristic
Sense of honor
Everything is proven on the battlefield

I got those parts.

But I’m trying to play a Good-aligned Forge Cleric. I got up to “I’m the one who forged the weapons of war, but my people are dinks, so I left that life behind”. Absolutely looking for more to flesh that out.

Who the heck would I worship? While I’m free to worship any Deity, technically, is there one appropriate for Forge that’s (canon lore-wise) be willing to welcome me into the fold? I know Clerics can worship a Concept or Idea instead of a Deity, but Deities provide more to work with RP-wise.

Azgeroth
2019-01-09, 09:22 AM
i can't cite any references unfortunately, but from what i know..

hobgoblins are very militaristic, typically lending themselves to the role of 'officers' in a green skin army.

i've always seen them as slightly more stupid than a standard human with a natural aptitude for combat tactics.

as far a diety, how about gond? (probably mis-spelt) as far as i am aware, gond doesn't particularly care for any race, just invention/creation which lends itself to the forge domain quite nicely.

personally, i would look at playing one pretty much as i would an orc, but would see myself better than an orc (more strategic/intelligent) i think the difficult part for the character, is how they deal with their innate lust for battle and domination, against their pious nature and want to build/create.. i.e. i need to destroy, but i want to create..

Unoriginal
2019-01-09, 09:49 AM
Jappleton, is this character for AL or...?

'officers' in a green skin army.

What "green skin army"? Goblinoids are yellow-orange-ish. Orcs are greenish grey, but hobgoblins aren't likely to be in orc armies.

jaappleton
2019-01-09, 10:38 AM
Jappleton, is this character for AL or...?

What "green skin army"? Goblinoids are yellow-orange-ish. Orcs are greenish grey, but hobgoblins aren't likely to be in orc armies.

Not AL. Home game, campaign is running Strahd. He’d be my backup character behind my Druid.

I like what Forge brings to the table for that. Not the most ideal, optimal choice, but when you need to make someone’s Weapon magical... Accept no substitutes.

Right now, the best RP I can come up with is this:

His unit was out on a mission to gather raw materials and got surrounded by the mists. The only survivor by the time the party finds him, and he’s smart enough to know that the enemy of my enemy is my friend. So he’s more than willing to work with the party. He’s Good (mostly), though he’ll never admit it. Hobgoblin societies views has caused him to repress how he really feels about a lot of things in order to survive and blend in. His personality takes a lot from Stephen ‘The Mad Irishman’ from Braveheart. “If I join you, I get to kill vampires? EXCELLENT!”

Now, having more info on Hobgoblin society and a Deity allows me to build even more.

Unoriginal
2019-01-09, 11:04 AM
Well, as a maker of Good Stuff(TM), the thing that makes the most sense is that your smith probably didn't go on missions with a squad unless they needed your expertise directly, for ex. examining an abandoned dwarven forge or the like. Good smiths aren't expendable, though your value would depend on how well others manage to do with the equipment you provide.

Now, one thing to know about the goblinoids is that they do *not* let goblinoids worship other gods that the main one and his handful of underlings. So your character would be seen as an extreme heretic who'd be put to death very painfully if caught by the secret police. Or denounced by anyone.