PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Magic Items and progression

Helldin87
2019-01-09, 01:05 PM
DMs-

On the topic of magic items and PCs retaining them:

I am considering introducing some short-term plot elements to challenge my player's retention of magic items they have come to possess. My thought is that power attracts power and anyone who walks around with thousand's of GP worth of magical bling best be prepared to defend it.

What sorts of scenarios have you used for this in the past? Simple "robbers" have crossed my mind and since they are moving through wilderness currently I could get away with that but it just seems cheesy. What sorts of creatures covet magical artifacts? Dragons seem likely...

What does the hive mind say?

nickl_2000
2019-01-09, 01:13 PM
What does the hive mind say?

That permanently taking away you PCs magical items is going to seriously piss your players off unless they know this is a solid possibility in session 0.

PhoenixPhyre
2019-01-09, 01:15 PM
That permanently taking away you PCs magical items is going to seriously piss your players off unless they know this is a solid possibility in session 0.

Agreed.

I did take away one particular item I gave out, but that was more an agreed on "If you do X (which isn't normally possible), it will exhaust your <item>'s power and you won't be able to use that mode of it again. Do you want to do it?"

nickl_2000
2019-01-09, 01:28 PM
Agreed.

I did take away one particular item I gave out, but that was more an agreed on "If you do X (which isn't normally possible), it will exhaust your <item>'s power and you won't be able to use that mode of it again. Do you want to do it?"

This wouldn't bother me as much becuase I made the choice. However consider this situation I am currently playing in.

I was at Moon Druid 10 and was able to get a Staff of the Woodlands, this item made me re-think some things for my character. Prior to that I was looking at continuing Moon Druid for his entire career or multiclasses into Cleric. However, once I picked it up though I focused my character in a different direction. I spent hard earned cash to get a set of Gauntlet's of Ogre strength and turned the character into a melee powerhouse, even in caster form. Since then I have invested 4 levels into Hunter Ranger and a feat into Magic Initiate to get Booming Blade. I'm currently dropping 2d6+3d8+6 on hit against an enemy and even more if they move after that. Would you really, as a DM want to take away the way my character has developed by taking away those magical items?

Theodoric
2019-01-09, 01:30 PM
I think what you should be going for is have your players think they're at risk of losing their hard-earned loot, without seriously threatening them with a near-certain risk. Put them in a situation where they have to do something to keep all their well-earned loot, but don't put in a cheap guaranteed loss of an item.

I'm not sure if straight up robbery's really an option. Seasoned adventurers aren't exactly an easy target for thugs. Maybe throw in a wannabe patron who turns out to have only hired them so he can attempt to secretly steal their stuff, that's guaranteed to set them off.

Jophiel
2019-01-09, 01:34 PM
Simple "robbers" have crossed my mind and since they are moving through wilderness currently I could get away with that but it just seems cheesy. What sorts of creatures covet magical artifacts? Dragons seem likely...
Herd of Disenchanters (http://creaturespotlight.blogspot.com/2014/09/disenchanter.html), obviously.

Keravath
2019-01-09, 03:12 PM
To the OP ...

1) I would tend not to take away magic items since players tend to get VERY attached to them, sometimes make character development decisions around them, and can get very irritated if they are removed in a way over which they have no control or influence.

2) I'm a bit confused how magic items can become an issue. Each character has a maximum of three attuned magic items. Almost all of the really nice non-utility items require attunement. Somehow, your characters have three magic items already and you feel the need to take them away? That may indicate an issue with the power level of the items you chose to allow them to find rather than the number of items.

Depending on your game world, three items/player might be a lot .. or magic could be quite common. If magic is common, thieves won't be coming after them unless there is something of particular interest (in which case how did the thieves find out about it) ... and if magic is that uncommon that thieves are attracted ... how did the party find so much?

This wouldn't bother me as much becuase I made the choice. However consider this situation I am currently playing in.

I was at Moon Druid 10 and was able to get a Staff of the Woodlands, this item made me re-think some things for my character. Prior to that I was looking at continuing Moon Druid for his entire career or multiclasses into Cleric. However, once I picked it up though I focused my character in a different direction. I spent hard earned cash to get a set of Gauntlet's of Ogre strength and turned the character into a melee powerhouse, even in caster form. Since then I have invested 4 levels into Hunter Ranger and a feat into Magic Initiate to get Booming Blade. I'm currently dropping 2d6+3d8+6 on hit against an enemy and even more if they move after that. Would you really, as a DM want to take away the way my character has developed by taking away those magical items?

I'm a bit confused about your comment about being a melee powerhouse. A 10th level druid/4th level ranger still only has one attack/action.

Attacking with a staff of the woodlands is d6 (or d8) if used two handed with a +2 to hit/damage. Booming blade will add 2d8 damage at level 14 with the possibility of an additional 3d8 if the target moves. Casting booming blade uses the cast a spell action so won't stack with extra attack at ranger 5.

As far as I can see, the one attack does d6+2d8 +6 if it hits ... which isn't that much especially compared to any melee fighter or even to the moon druid elemental forms at 10 level. This WOULD become 2d6 +3d8 +6 if you have previously cast hunters mark and chose colossus slayer AND are attacking an already damaged opponent.

nickl_2000
2019-01-09, 03:21 PM
I'm a bit confused about your comment about being a melee powerhouse. A 10th level druid/4th level ranger still only has one attack/action.

Attacking with a staff of the woodlands is d6 (or d8) if used two handed with a +2 to hit/damage. Booming blade will add 2d8 damage at level 14 with the possibility of an additional 3d8 if the target moves. Casting booming blade uses the cast a spell action so won't stack with extra attack at ranger 5.

As far as I can see, the one attack does d6+2d8 +6 if it hits ... which isn't that much especially compared to any melee fighter or even to the moon druid elemental forms at 10 level.

Okay saying I'm a melee powerhouse, may be an over exaggeration. I get 1d6 from the staff, 1d6 from hunter's mark (or other spells), 2d8 from booming blade, and 1d8 from Colossus, which isn't half bad considering that I'm mostly a Druid. Then, I can easily walk away from the BB target due to the mobile feat. This gives 2d6+3d8+6 with each hit and a good chance of BB triggering too.

Edit: Looks like you see where I got it from. I also get there with the Guardian of Nature spell using strength.

None the less, it doesn't take away that I have put significant resources into something due to my magic items and would be ticked if they were taken away.

Helldin87
2019-01-09, 04:18 PM
Thanks for all the feedback! I love how player-focused everyone is. Definitely don't want to piss off these dudes for purely capricious reasons. It would be interesting though to try and inspire a certain amount of care or fear regarding their belongings.

Some thoughts:

I am not looking to guarantee any outcome but rather increase the risks. There will be no "oh hey you woke up and your items are jacked" Deus Ex Machina stuff happening. I was thinking more of "Hey yall have some cool trinkets and this kind of monster covets cool trinkets. Defend yourself or prepare to lose your stuff"

Also as of now none of the players have based their leveling decisions on items acquired. The main item I would be "targeting" in this case is the Stone of Gollor from WDH. The warlock/sorcerer has retained it and now that they have cleared that module and are moving on I thought it seemed somewhat out of place (just how it caught my attention). It is worth noting that the stone itself has notes about it seeking out new owners. If the coffeelock wants to keep his evil rock I don't see a problem per se I just want him to feel some story pressure about it.

The remaining items that have been acquired are all standardish stuff that increase combat or utility power. To compensate I have increased encounters appropriately, trying to strike a balance between rewarding them for finding awesome stuff and using it well and keeping the game challenging. My motivation for targeting items should be clarified as plot more than any attempt to "rebalance" the party or punish players.

Love you guys =D