PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Magic Items that Recharge

Grog Logs
2019-01-09, 06:50 PM
I'm DM'ing in a homebrew setting that has limited magic items. However, I also want to local villages that they just saved to reward the PCs with magical items. The PCs are currently level 6. At the moment, I am thinking about awarding them 1-2 Uncommon items and 1-2 Rare Consumable items. Previously, I let each PC submit a 3 items within the confines of no +X items (e.g., +1 Sword; Sword of Vengeance) or stat becomes X items (e.g., Gauntlets of Ogre Power) and I make the final decision based on the setting/NPCs. However, there are few Uncommon and Rare items that are consumables. (I'm using the term consumable to mean a one-time use, so Beads of Force count as consumable...is that the right terminology?)

Because magical items are relatively rare in this world, but they are in an area that is mining the raw magical components for making magical items. I was thinking that it would be interesting and scenario accurate to give them partially-successful magical items. What would be the effect of giving them an item that is supposed to recharge at dawn (or any other time) that does not recharge? For instance, what if I gave them a Wand of Binding with 1d6 charges that will never recharge or Staff of the Python that can never turn back into a snake? How would you feel if you were a PC receiving such an item? Would you rather receive nothing?

Alternatively, does anyone have a list of suggestions for magic items that are fun to use for RP and problem solving that have a minimal impact on combat? But, you know, more helpful than Xanathar's Guide to Everything Magical Items. So, more than cosmetic.

Man_Over_Game
2019-01-09, 07:02 PM
I'm DM'ing in a homebrew setting that has limited magic items. However, I also want to local villages that they just saved to reward the PCs with magical items. The PCs are currently level 6. At the moment, I am thinking about awarding them 1-2 Uncommon items and 1-2 Rare Consumable items. Previously, I let each PC submit a 3 items within the confines of no +X items (e.g., +1 Sword; Sword of Vengeance) or stat becomes X items (e.g., Gauntlets of Ogre Power) and I make the final decision based on the setting/NPCs. However, there are few Uncommon and Rare items that are consumables. (I'm using the term consumable to mean a one-time use, so Beads of Force count as consumable...is that the right terminology?)

Because magical items are relatively rare in this world, but they are in an area that is mining the raw magical components for making magical items. I was thinking that it would be interesting and scenario accurate to give them partially-successful magical items. What would be the effect of giving them an item that is supposed to recharge at dawn (or any other time) that does not recharge? For instance, what if I gave them a Wand of Binding with 1d6 charges that will never recharge or Staff of the Python that can never turn back into a snake? How would you feel if you were a PC receiving such an item? Would you rather receive nothing?

Alternatively, does anyone have a list of suggestions for magic items that are fun to use for RP and problem solving that have a minimal impact on combat? But, you know, more helpful than Xanathar's Guide to Everything Magical Items. So, more than cosmetic.

When you add items that are permanent, you're effectively making the entirety of the game a little bit easier, while also making fewer dilemmas in your party. This is a good solution if you want to crank up the difficulty of your campaign (lots of flying enemies expected, so here's some winged boots or a returning throwing axe), but it's not an elegant solution for when you plan on keeping the difficulty the same.

Consumable items are great, since they only temporarily make dilemmas easier, which means you can afford to have obstacles of varying difficulties. They couldn't avoid the harpy boss, but you gave them a scroll of Earthbind a while back. They never did find what that tough boss was weak to, but they're packing a Wand of Magic Missile to help anyway.

It means that your players won't get stumped when you throw something big at them. Now, they should always have the means of solving the problem without your consumable gifts (whether it be through negotiating, getting help, or just brute forcing the problem with money and weapons), but consumable magic items allow you to fluctuate a lot more on how hard the game should be.

To answer your last few questions, there's nothing more insulting than nothing. Receiving a temporary, one-time magical item feels a lot more fun than finding a torch and some gold.

thoroughlyS
2019-01-09, 07:07 PM
In addition to the common magic items, Xanathar's Guide to Everything introduces a new classification for magic items: minor or major. Minor items seem to be exactly what you're looking for, because they are usually consumable or low-impact.

Maybe something like Heward's handy haversack, or a potion of invulnerability?

OverLordOcelot
2019-01-11, 11:24 AM
I don't see why players would get disappointed by getting charged items as long as they don't feel like it's costing them a permanent item. For example, a +1 rapier that works until it drains the life of 7 enemies, then spends the souls and its magic to give you the effects of bless for a day is a neat temporary item, and could be a lot of fun. But if Fighter Joe gets a +1 Glaive and Ranger Bob gets a bow that shoots ghostly arrows, Rogue Jim might feel put out by the rapier, because it seems like he just got a temporary toy instead of the permanent item the others get. Since it doesn't sound like you're giving out permanent items this probably won't come up, but do be careful if you set up a situation where it ends up that all but one player has a permanent toy.

Some other suggestions: You might want to put a long time limit on them so that players don't feel bad about using them up - if the players know that 'failed' items tend to fade after a few months, there isn't any pressure to 'keep this item until we REALLY need it' so they seem more fun. (Yes, I'm one of the people that tends to have a huge collection of unused potions in CRPGs because I might need them later). Stick to interesting effects that will be memorable when used - something that gives +1 to hit all day is pretty dull compared to something that gives advantage on one roll, even though the +1 is probably better mathematically. You also might want to attach wild magic surges to an item to represent it being unstable. If there are a good number of them, then mix up the types of items; non-wizards will get bored if the only items to play with are wizard wands.

Man_Over_Game
2019-01-11, 12:28 PM
I don't see why players would get disappointed by getting charged items as long as they don't feel like it's costing them a permanent item. For example, a +1 rapier that works until it drains the life of 7 enemies, then spends the souls and its magic to give you the effects of bless for a day is a neat temporary item, and could be a lot of fun. But if Fighter Joe gets a +1 Glaive and Ranger Bob gets a bow that shoots ghostly arrows, Rogue Jim might feel put out by the rapier, because it seems like he just got a temporary toy instead of the permanent item the others get. Since it doesn't sound like you're giving out permanent items this probably won't come up, but do be careful if you set up a situation where it ends up that all but one player has a permanent toy.

To tie into this, when there are fewer permanent magical items in the campaign, generally make all of your magical items more general vs. specific. In a party of Fighters and Barbarians, make Long Swords and Javelins. In a party of Bards, Rogues and Fighters, make magical Daggers/Arrows.

Try to avoid creating something that less than half the group can use. That way, when a permanent item comes along and improves a single character, items can be shuffled around to whoever needs it most. If the Fighter has a magical shield that can occasionally cast Shield without needing components, I wouldn't be too butthurt if I had his Potion of Dragon's Breath and an Elixir of Flight.

Azgeroth
2019-01-11, 01:45 PM
no magic weapons?? why not? unless you don't plan on pitting them against anything with resistance to normal weapon damage.

consumables sound good, but if you give the party 1 potion of invunrability, there is a good chance they will just 'save it for later'

how about a ring of spell storing? cloak of protection? boots of elvenkind? goggles of the night? bag of holding? chime of opening?

Grog Logs
2019-01-11, 01:48 PM
Thank you everyone for your the helpful suggestions and responses. I am currently leaning towards letting them submitting a wishlist for uncommon. Then, letting them choose from a list of Rare Wonderous Items that don't recharge that are relevant to the Village that they just helped out. Seems like a nice balance of Player choice and campaign immersion

SirVladamir
2019-01-11, 02:46 PM
You could also give them items that don't recharge, but have more charges like 10 or 15, so they feel they are getting something better than just 1 spell casting.

Another thing I have done is make an item recharge on the full moon, so "saving" the item for the perfect occasion is less likely, but they can't use the item in every situation. Now, my world has 2 moons, one on a 28 day cycle and one on a 60 day cycle, so the items recharge on either, and get an over power charge if both moons are full on the same night.