PDA

View Full Version : What spells can I not cast?

n00b
2019-01-09, 11:15 PM
EK/Warlock with Ruby of the War Mage and Warcaster feat. What types of spells can you NOT cast? Any?

Edit: While wielding a sword and having a shield equipped.

Warlush
2019-01-09, 11:43 PM
Just the ones you don't know.

AvvyR
2019-01-09, 11:54 PM
Generally only ones that have expensive components.

Mercurias
2019-01-09, 11:54 PM
The Spells you don’t know, probably from the Druid and Cleric lists. Also any spell above 5th level unless you sink much further into Warlock than Fighter.

Also if you go Hexblade will you need a Ruby of the War Mage?

n00b
2019-01-09, 11:57 PM
The Spells you don’t know, probably from the Druid and Cleric lists. Also any spell above 5th level unless you sink much further into Warlock than Fighter.

Why not spells above 5th level? I'm not familiar with that.

bid
2019-01-10, 12:15 AM
EK/Warlock with Ruby of the War Mage and Warcaster feat. What types of spells can you NOT cast? Any?
IIRC as soon as there's a cost for the component, you cannot use a spell focus. Other than that you have S and M covered.

It does not in any way affect which spells you know, so ignore the 5th spell comment.

Azgeroth
2019-01-10, 04:47 AM
Why not spells above 5th level? I'm not familiar with that.

EKs are 1/3 caster, so i very much doubt your going to see 5th as an EK (AFB, do they even get 5th? i know they get 4th)

also warlocks dont get slots above 5th, you do get higher than 5th spells... kinda... but very few, and only once per day each.. its weird.

as a note, warcaster allows you to use your weapon as a casting focus, so why Ruby of the War Mage?

others have noted you can cast any spell you know, that is V, S, (and M IF NO COST).
you can still cast M WITH COST spells, it just means sheathing your weapon and drawing the component, note there is a good chance you going to spend the time between turns without a weapon in your hand, it may be more advantageous to just drop the sword, (or use that EK/hexblade summon weapon trick) YMMV

Millstone85
2019-01-10, 04:57 AM
as a note, warcaster allows you to use your weapon as a casting focus, so why Ruby of the War Mage?That is incorrect. War Caster allows you to perform somatic components with weapon and/or shield in hand. It doesn't let you ignore material components, nor the need of a free hand to manipulate them.

Ranikirn.
2019-01-10, 08:02 AM
If you have the Eldritch Invocation "Improve Pact Weapon" you can use your weapon pact as spellcasting focus.

n00b
2019-01-10, 08:49 AM
I chose the Ruby of the War Mage so that it would apply as a focus for all spells, EK and Warlock. Improved Pact Weapon only lets you use the weapon as a focus on Warlock spells. It does use up an attunement slot but it frees an Invocation. Trade-offs I guess.

Also I'm not sure how it will progress to the end, we are supposed to play until level 20 but you never know. My plan at the moment is to go EK 7/Warlock 5 and possibly the rest Bard. Might take 8 in EK just to get the extra ASI/Feat. I really haven't planned anything out past the initial 12 levels. My strategy is to take Crossbow Expert at some point and when I'm 7/2 cast Eldritch Blast and with War Magic ability attack with my weapon for bonus. Not super powerful/optimized but it's still solid.

Warlush
2019-01-10, 11:15 AM
IIRC as soon as there's a cost for the component, you cannot use a spell focus. Other than that you have S and M covered.

It does not in any way affect which spells you know, so ignore the 5th spell comment.

Only if it consumes that component right?

Keravath
2019-01-10, 11:54 AM
Only if it consumes that component right?

"MATERIAL (M)
Casting some spells requires particular objects,specified in parentheses in the component entry. A character can use a component pouch or a spellcasting focus (found in chapter 5) in place of the components specified for a spell. But if a cost is indicated for a component, a character must have that specific component before he or she can cast the spell. lf a spell states that a material component is consumed by the spell, the caster must provide this component For each casting of the spell."

1) You can use a spellcasting focus in place of a component. If the component has a cost and is not consumed then you need to have that component before you can cast the spell. However, you can still use a spellcasting focus in place of actually pulling out that component since it only says that you must have the component to cast the spell, not that you need to handle it. (A spellcasting focus is NOT a way to eliminate the material component costs associated with casting a spell).

2) If the component is consumed by the spell then you have to provide that component every time you cast the spell. If no cost is associated with the consumed component then you can assume to have sufficient in your material component pouch (up to DM). If a cost is associated with the consumed component then you have to spend at least that much on each component used to cast the spell and track how many you have in your possession.

"Component Pouch. A component pouch is a small, watertight leather belt pouch that has compartments to hold all the material components and other special items you need to cast your spells, except for those components that have a specific cost (as indicated in a spell's description)."

Millstone85
2019-01-10, 12:04 PM
"MATERIAL (M)
Casting some spells requires particular objects,specified in parentheses in the component entry. A character can use a component pouch or a spellcasting focus (found in chapter 5) in place of the components specified for a spell. But if a cost is indicated for a component, a character must have that specific component before he or she can cast the spell. lf a spell states that a material component is consumed by the spell, the caster must provide this component For each casting of the spell."You are short of one sentence.

"A spellcaster must have a hand free to access these components, but it can be the same hand that he or she uses to perform somatic components."

it only says that you must have the component to cast the spell, not that you need to handle it.Yes it does.

Man_Over_Game
2019-01-10, 12:09 PM
For those who don't know:

It's been ruled that spells with material and somatic components can allow you to make the needed gestures and use the materials in the same hand. Additionally, a focus can substitute most material components, and you can cast M + S spells with your hands occupied while holding a focus.

However, you must have a free hand if the spell only has somatic components but no material components, so having a Focus will not help you.

So for example, a Ruby of the War Mage (makes an item a focus) can help you cast many spells when wielding a sword and shield, but will not allow you to cast the Absorb Elements spell (V, S) without a free hand.

War Caster allows you to make somatic gestures when your hand is occupied, so having War Caster and any focus will allow you to cast any spell as if your hands were free.

Except, for some reason, Burning Hands, which technically requires joined thumbs (as part of the description for the spell).